Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

MMR (ELO) Boosting Punishments

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrownPuff

06-14-2013

Quote:
WookieeCookie:
Nope! Duo queuing with a player of higher MMR or Ranked Tier does not constitute boosting.

We are specifically targeting players who share their account information with another person so that the second person can log-in and play ranked games resulting in a higher MMR.

Wait does that mean I can offer people to lower their MMR to bronze 5 with my great bronze 5 skillset?

Snake XT

06-14-2013

I have a question @wookieecookie which nobody wants to answer or there is no answer because Riot probably do it as well. Multiple accounts. Smurfs. Someone who misses Bronze division and just stomps teams for fun. Why?

inb4 downvotes.

Mokkun

06-14-2013

I'm wondering how this is going to be detected.

For example, I don't really play ranked solo queue, and so don't have the games under my belt to realistically determine an MMR. (I've also been decaying)

If I finally got off my butt and started playing ranked seriously and say... went up a metallic and a half quickly, would I get detected as being boosted and in risk of a ban?

(I don't know that I necessarily would get that high, a better example might be the neglected smurf of a high ranked player)

Super Explosion

06-14-2013

Quote:
Harrywhat:
How exactly do you determine if someone is elo boosting? Like what if I duo with a friend and go on a massive winning spree? Wouldn't that seem like elo boosting, when in all reality I'm duoing with a friend and doing well?

Dark and secret methods that they probably won't reveal for concern of circumvention.

Joe Lauzon

06-14-2013

Dont know how to ask this without sounding suspicious, but how do you plan on "catching people"?

Bughferd

06-14-2013

So I understand that this may not be something you can discuss but how do you catch this? Like do you just look to see if accounts are logged into on different ip addresses? Should I be scared if I go to play at a friends house and go on a win streak?

Alumenlux

06-14-2013

pretty harsh, i like it

although i question riot's ability to catch elo boosters. the means are there (im fairly certain riot knows what ip accounts are logging in from)

but 1) too many people play this game and there is not enough resource to allocate and 2) it seems like this can only punish the boostees

BanditManSteve

06-14-2013

Quote:
Enigma Requiem:
I have a question

I'm currently in bronze 1. Most of my friends are mid-high silver. Will I be punished for queing with them?

EDIT: just for the sake of playing with my friends, of course.

Did you read the post? Are you friends logging in under your account to boost your ranking? If so then yes you will be punished. If your just queing with them though then no you wont, thats not elo boosting.

Tetramaster

06-14-2013

Quote:
Mokkun:
I'm wondering how this is going to be detected.

For example, I don't really play ranked solo queue, and so don't have the games under my belt to realistically determine an MMR. (I've also been decaying)

If I finally got off my butt and started playing ranked seriously and say... went up a metallic and a half quickly, would I get detected as being boosted and in risk of a ban?

(I don't know that I necessarily would get that high, a better example might be the neglected smurf of a high ranked player)

They'd look at

1. Champion play history
2. IP/Mac addresses
3. Did you start duoing with anyone?

Let's say you DID improve a large amount before you jumped back into ranked. They'd be able to tell if someone was smurfing on your account if, after you got to a certain point (say, Plat V), you started suffering because your skill level is not up to that level of play because you got boosted. They'd then check IP/Mac address info for the games played and find out that oh, you were logged in from a COMPLETELY different location for the games you were stomping, but once you logged back in from your "normal" location, you sucked.

That's just an example, and is a very easy one to spot.

WookieeCookie

Player Support Lead -
Player Behavior

06-14-2013

Quote:
Harrywhat:
How exactly do you determine if someone is elo boosting? Like what if I duo with a friend and go on a massive winning spree? Wouldn't that seem like elo boosting, when in all reality I'm duoing with a friend and doing well?

The details I can share are limited unfortunately. This is to protect some from trying to cheat the system. What I can say is that we have a multi-step process that involves a manual review before a decision is made.

However, I can say that If you and a friend, or just you by yourself, go on a massive winning spree you would not be subject to a MMR boosting punishment.