countering Aatrox

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SeiYouSiLa

06-13-2013

Aatrox just came out and I bought the bundle but I've yet to play him cuz I wanna find out how to counter him first, I've made a custom game to get a brief understanding of his kit and I go in normals and tried to figure out a way to beat him in lane.

I used kennen and Jayce against him but failed miserably, he can poke with E and has really high damage and he's a very deceptive champion due to his passive and heal.

Now I know he just came out and everything won't work out on the get go but he seem to snowball quite hard. He has insane damage with his W toggle, pretty ok CC but not the strongest in the world, overall he is a very very strong champion.

Question is, who can I use or rather how do I actually break him in the lane, what are the things I need to look out for

CerealBoxOfDoom

06-13-2013

His hp costs are constant
building armor penetration will increase his damage sortof but it wont increase his heal at all.
He is dependant on AS steroids to synergize with items it looks like.
He is also dependant on sustain to function normally I think.

I suspect that its mostly defensive options that will make or break fights against him

TheCeeJay

06-14-2013

I'm no expert and I definitely don't know everything there is to know about Aatrox, but I would assume any of the "Grievous Wounds" items would work well against him. Executioner's Calling and Morellonomicon are the only two I can think of but there could be more.

I played a game earlier with a Tristana and her E pretty much kept him from sustaining. He's actually pretty squishy under all that sustain. Unfortunately no champions who go top also have Grievous Wounds.

Fizz, Katarina, Miss Fortune, Tristana and Varus all have a skill that can apply it, but their the only ones. Probably being some ranged top and getting Executioner's Calling would be your best bet. That way you can poke him from a safe distance while also reducing his healing.

The problem is, when he's low he gets more sustain, so killing him is harder than it seems. Then there's him passive...

He's not overpowered and like you said, he has pretty ok CC but not the best. A skillshot knockup with a tiny range and a relatively easy to dodge slow are all he has really. If he can't land those he has issues finishing kills I've noticed.

Hopefully that helped at least a little bit.

OT Shadow

06-14-2013

you see aatrox toplane. just laugh and take vayne or draven against him and farm his behind. dissengages stuff his passive. you can line them up to stuff him completely

DarksideEric

06-14-2013

I've not seen Aatrox in action aside from videos, would Teemo/Kayle/Quinn be a decent match against him?

MarineRevenge

06-14-2013

Anyone who beats Tryndamere/Jax/Irelia will beat Aatrox for the same reasons.

SeiYouSiLa

06-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCeeJay View Post
I'm no expert and I definitely don't know everything there is to know about Aatrox, but I would assume any of the "Grievous Wounds" items would work well against him. Executioner's Calling and Morellonomicon are the only two I can think of but there could be more.

I played a game earlier with a Tristana and her E pretty much kept him from sustaining. He's actually pretty squishy under all that sustain. Unfortunately no champions who go top also have Grievous Wounds.

Fizz, Katarina, Miss Fortune, Tristana and Varus all have a skill that can apply it, but their the only ones. Probably being some ranged top and getting Executioner's Calling would be your best bet. That way you can poke him from a safe distance while also reducing his healing.

The problem is, when he's low he gets more sustain, so killing him is harder than it seems. Then there's him passive...

He's not overpowered and like you said, he has pretty ok CC but not the best. A skillshot knockup with a tiny range and a relatively easy to dodge slow are all he has really. If he can't land those he has issues finishing kills I've noticed.

Hopefully that helped at least a little bit.
I've tried long range champions but it's really difficult due to his heal and his damage, there is no way you're going to stand and 1v1 him so I'm really just looking for ways to outplay this champion

DarksideEric

06-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRevenge View Post
Anyone who beats Tryndamere/Jax/Irelia will beat Aatrox for the same reasons.
I'd be fearful as Quinn vs. Aatrox as my Vault would be, I feel, solely dependent on how much (if at all) he uses his dive thing.

masterdragon481

06-14-2013

If you are looking to try to fight him in lane, I personally think range is your best friend. His insane sustain can only come every three attacks, so similar to a chogath, zoning him is going to reduce his sustain from w to zero. Also, as a ranged champion, you should *never* be sitting there auto attacking him. Always kite him, and his crazy damage suddenly is gone. Don't try pulling the ultimate card; 375 range is still far less that yours. Take a ranged with a gap opener use it when he jumps you. You could also always take a long ranged mage against him, sustain doesn't matter against 100 to 0 potential =p Jungler ganks are also a good idea, he is mostly single target damage, and hard cc is not his friend.

Remember that winning laning phase doesn't necessarily mean killing your opponent over and over; it means denying them cs, putting them behind, and eventually taking the tower.

Out of laning phase, there are actually TONS of ways to deal with him. The stat he needs to do literally everything is attack speed, which is one of the easiest countered stats in the game. There is an long list of champion abilities and a few very good items that make aatrox one sad demon dude. Now he has a small amount of damage, and very little CC. What is he doing in teamfights?

SeiYouSiLa

06-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdragon481 View Post
If you are looking to try to fight him in lane, I personally think range is your best friend. His insane sustain can only come every three attacks, so similar to a chogath, zoning him is going to reduce his sustain from w to zero. Also, as a ranged champion, you should *never* be sitting there auto attacking him. Always kite him, and his crazy damage suddenly is gone. Don't try pulling the ultimate card; 375 range is still far less that yours. Take a ranged with a gap opener use it when he jumps you. You could also always take a long ranged mage against him, sustain doesn't matter against 100 to 0 potential =p Jungler ganks are also a good idea, he is mostly single target damage, and hard cc is not his friend.

Remember that winning laning phase doesn't necessarily mean killing your opponent over and over; it means denying them cs, putting them behind, and eventually taking the tower.

Out of laning phase, there are actually TONS of ways to deal with him. The stat he needs to do literally everything is attack speed, which is one of the easiest countered stats in the game. There is an long list of champion abilities and a few very good items that make aatrox one sad demon dude. Now he has a small amount of damage, and very little CC. What is he doing in teamfights?
I tried kennen but it's quite hard to harass him to push him out of lane without him jumping on me and taking a lot of punishment myself, there's got to be a better way to deal with him