Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is Korea's competitive teams so good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tál

06-14-2013

most Americans also don't understand the difference between Taiwan and Korea it seems

Prefix

Recruiter

06-15-2013

The NA allstar team was terrible it was too many different players with different strats that and Scarra is bad compared to a good mid like Reginald.

Wait till world when Cloud 9 wins it.

Baxter the Teddy

06-15-2013

Quote:
Best Shyvana PBE:
The NA allstar team was terrible it was too many different players with different strats that and Scarra is bad compared to a good mid like Reginald.

Wait till world when Cloud 9 wins it.

Statement is wrong.

NA All Stars did very well. Why is semi-finals bad? Also, they lost to the eventual winners, and all of their games they played very well.

LUS Montplaisir

06-17-2013

Quote:
Baxter the Teddy:
Statement is wrong.

NA All Stars did very well. Why is semi-finals bad? Also, they lost to the eventual winners, and all of their games they played very well.

I consider semi-finals to be atrocious, considering there were 5 teams total, and semis indicate a placement of fourth.

FearOfTheFlesh

Recruiter

08-07-2013

Quote:
LUS Montplaisir:
I consider semi-finals to be atrocious, considering there were 5 teams total, and semis indicate a placement of fourth.

They came third I believe. TPA lost their only matchup. And I don't know about you but I consider 1-1 better than 0-1.

As for why Korea has better teams, they have a deeper esport scene, it is more acceptable as a lifestyle there, and they cover it more passionately and frequently with many TV highlights, on the street interviews, and get-togethers for fans and players alike socially.

If esports had as big a fascination in NA with as many people trying to get into it, I have no doubt the NA scene would likely be superior. Though I am Canadian, and don't necessarily like to say this, but the US rarely comes 2nd when they put their best foot forward both historically and recently, yes they may have for some reason or another a negative general image globally but I don't think anyone can question really their superiority in most things they deem valuable. Think sports (olympics both summer and winter), economic influence, having the highest obesity rate (USA USA USA), military influence, scientific discoveries, media coverage capability etc.

Year by year however, gaming seems to be more and more acceptable in the public eye, so give it maybe 25 years or so before culturally it is as acceptable in NA.

Falict

08-08-2013

Quote:
AG Selcopa:
Why are they so good?

Simple, they're not.

While its true Korea has superior structural/organizational systems to produce better players and teams, the concept that they are miles ahead of the other areas is just silly. They're not.

Instead of waiting for Korea to find their best team, who happens to be world class and declare all Korea to be better than all scenes, watch some OGN, watch how bad they are, their hyper aggressive play style produce tons of mistakes that can be capitalized on, only maybe the top 2 teams are refined enough to not get rolled over by teams who are patient to adapt to their hyper aggressiveness.

Whenever I see these kinds of threads I just want to say "Why does Russia have such amazing competitive teams?" They don't, there is one good team.

Yeah, watch some OGN. See how they will beat all the teams.

Gabelous

08-10-2013

One simple reason is in general Asian cultures embrace more group dynamics. "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" as it were, and they are more psychologically conditioned to forgo the ego and personal gain in favor of the group objectives. Socially it leads to some weird dysfunctions, but so does the N.A. and Europe's cultural conditioning towards empowering the individual and using the group as a means to an end.

kkims007

08-11-2013

here's some facts why asian teams are dominant, specifically koreans
1) they have better technical skill in their roles. meaning, far better game play. i haven't seen them lose 1 vs 1 usually, especially against north american team
2) better team dynamic: they commit as one group, set up great plays. you don't see dumb individual plays that north Americans do
3) organization and dedication to stay on top. top teams stay on top and tries hard to remain on top of the ranking by making/perfecting their strategy when facing certain teams/tournament. you see so many na teams don't plan bans until last minute. last, they're more humble than na to work hard to keep their standing.

in summary better skill of a player + team work + organization/preparation = winners

you can agree or disagree,but the bottom line is na teams lack it so there isn't dominant team that will be able to maintain their number 1 status. this is referring to clg, curse, tsm, why they are not that great anymore.

Htcdeadman

01-10-2014

Its because Korea actually takes there play seriously, as in eu, and na, theres thousands of trolls.
Koreas solo queu is take extremely seriously, because theyre is more to gain if u make it big
also korea is way more open to a career in gaming then other regions.
A bronze korean can probably easily get gold in NA

ekn

Recruiter

01-11-2014

Quote:
Htcdeadman:
Its because Korea actually takes there play seriously, as in eu, and na, theres thousands of trolls.
Koreas solo queu is take extremely seriously, because theyre is more to gain if u make it big
also korea is way more open to a career in gaming then other regions.
A bronze korean can probably easily get gold in NA

Good job bringing up a 4 month old thread.