Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is Korea's competitive teams so good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azraaeel

06-12-2013

I'm looking for a serious discussion. I found an article about TPA's championship win, Five lessons from the best League of Legends team in the world (http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/15/5-lessons-you-can-learn-from-the-best-lol-team-in-the-world/).

I don't think it's just they play a lot. What does Korea have that EU, NA and China doesn't have?

Tál

06-12-2013

You are too stupid to insult

Baxter the Teddy

06-12-2013

Looking for a serious discussion and you **** up Korea and TPA? TAIPEI Assasins? TAIPEI?

Shattered Clock

06-12-2013

There are a few factors in this.

1. E-sports is HUGE in Korea. Think about how big Basketball or Football is in America and then apply that fanaticism to competitive gaming in Korea (well South Korea, not to sure about the North). It's one of the few high paying professions you can get, so rather than being looked at as sort of a cool profession as it is over here, it is a legitimate profession to them. These kids spend their whole lives devoted to becoming "pro." Sort of like how some kids are thrust in to sports at a really early age and that's all they do so they become ridiculously athletic. Same concept. TPA has been training their entire lives to become pro gamers as opposed to the NA or EU teams that enjoy gaming, found they were good at it, and have only been seriously gaming for 3-6 years. They are simply more experienced.

2. Mofawkin STARCRAFT. Starcraft's LAN mode allowed people without Internet to play against each other. For whatever reason, this made it HUGE in Korea. Starcraft became the national sport of South Korea. As such, a TON of Korean LOL players have previous experience in a game that is all about snap decision making and takes micromanagement to a new level.

3.God damned magic. Hell if I know why, they just played better that day.

Cavo

06-12-2013

Also, while the NA teams are starting to get much more serious and competitive, the Korean and other asian teams have been serious about this from the start. Their practice schedules were so strict and their communication and strategies are far better developed than in NA.

HandyMan62

06-12-2013

There is too much drama in NA.

Hanzo604

06-13-2013

I think it's already been stated but esports has been around in Asia for a much longer time than North America. The teams also take the game much more seriously. They have had regimented practices and gaming houses for years where the concept is just making its way over to NA.

Gabelous

06-13-2013

Most Asian cultures are extremely group-oriented, it's been that way all the way back in their sorted histories. Unlike Europe and USA whose cultures and histories are very individual-oriented. There are probably some subtle psychological ques we're not aware of, most group-oriented people are instinctive about working for the group.

Selcopa

06-14-2013

Why are they so good?

Simple, they're not.

While its true Korea has superior structural/organizational systems to produce better players and teams, the concept that they are miles ahead of the other areas is just silly. They're not.

Instead of waiting for Korea to find their best team, who happens to be world class and declare all Korea to be better than all scenes, watch some OGN, watch how bad they are, their hyper aggressive play style produce tons of mistakes that can be capitalized on, only maybe the top 2 teams are refined enough to not get rolled over by teams who are patient to adapt to their hyper aggressiveness.

Whenever I see these kinds of threads I just want to say "Why does Russia have such amazing competitive teams?" They don't, there is one good team.

iRequiem

06-14-2013

This was already discussed before S3 started. The players in NA do understand that as a individual they are all on the same level. But the asians teamwork is phenominal. With that great teamwork and very aggressive gameplay they create plays. That is why regions like NA and EU dont fair so well against them because most teams play as 'passive aggressive'. Even though the hyper aggressive plays open you up for mistakes more than passive play, it benefits you/ team if executed properly. In S2 the NA and EU region built team comps made for late game while the asian teams had early and mid game comps.