The Tank's Code

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

308Cowboy

11-20-2010

One of the most under appreciated members of a team is the tank. Yet a good tank is a pivotal position in almost any game. If your team lacks a skilled tank, particularly a lock down tank with the ability to keep the enemy team, or at least their carry, from doing anything to your team, you are normally screwed. This is why often in que, you will see people asking for someone to play tank. Some people refuse to play tanks, as they are a very inglorious role to hold, and they prefer to make themselves feel good by playing carries like Katarina, Morgana, or Twitch. But if there is no tank, those carries get blown away, and have no initiator in a team fight (Karth is the only champ good at initiating who isn't a tank, because he keeps casting after he's dead). But if the team wins, the carry gets the credit, and the tank gets yelled at for dieing the most. I play mainly the tank role, and I get really pissed off when someone else claims to be a tank, then plays like a carry in a game. So, here's the Tank's Code.

1) I am my team's tank. There are many other tanks, but I am my team's. Without my team, I am nothing. Without me, my team stands a good chance to get pwned up and down Summoner's Rift.

2) My survival is meaningless if my team dies: I will be without my team, and am nothing.

3) If someone dies in a team fight, it is me, and I am the first: I am the first in, I hold the fire as long as necessary for my team to win the fight. I do not run from a fight that is still in progress.

4) I will not try to save the dead: If a teammate is getting ganked by 4 people, I will not give up my life for that person to die anyways. For then I might not be able to help in the next team battle that we have a chance of winning.

5) I will keep my head out of my ass: I will always know who's where on the map, as well as knowing if help is coming. If help is coming, I will save the above mentioned teammate in an attempt to hold the opposing team on lockdown using CC till the help arrives, thus reversing the situation.

6) My KDAR is meaningless: As long as we win, and I did my job, that is all that matters.

7) I must have an obsession with armor and magic resist: Health alone doesn't make me a tank. I know the items and skills that mow down tanks, and I will build magic resist to counter them. I know when the dps carry is using high AD attacks, and will build armor, specifically Thornmail, to counter this.

8) I will never use CC on an opposing tank: Unless there it is Nunu or Gallio ulting, or there is no carry to use it on, I would only be doing that tank's job for them. It is my job to absorb opposing CC, as is the job of the opposing tank. I will not do their job for them. I will CC their support or carries first.

9) There is no such thing as too many tanks: Pure tanks own. Tanks can put out damage, and can win the game. 26/2/11 Rammus ftw.

This is the tank's code. If you are a tank, learn it. If you uses a tank character but carries, then shut up. You do not sacrifice yourself for the team, and thus you are not a tank. I will be the first to pledge to the Tank's Code. Will anyone else take up the inglorious charge with me?

illustic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2010

thanks !!! i learned many things from it

i used to be rammus carry btw = =

i'll try play more of tanking

Booterang

11-20-2010

No so inglorious if you decide to be Garen or Mordekaiser. That being said, a good CC tank is almost a given for a good setup.

Kushmeyer2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-20-2010

I play Mordekaiser. I carry AND tank. Now what? >_>

Nemxes

11-20-2010

doh. most of tank players agree that just having hp and armor aint tanking. So no, youre not tanking with morde. Go grab a amumu or rammus, shen or galio, then talk about tanking.

Sad thing is, this "code" doesnt work in solo queue

MathMage

11-20-2010

Aged advice is still good advice. +1.

Garen and Mordekaiser are not tanks. However, couple them with ranged disablers and they can fulfill the tanking role. Garen spinning in while Ashe sends a crystal arrow to the face is little different from Rammus balling in and hitting Taunt-Tremors-DBC while Miss Fortune launches Bullet Time.

Alex Pan

11-20-2010

I agree with most of the guidelines, but a few things you said kind of ground my gears.
-Morgana isn't a carry.
-Some tanks are made to zone the opposing carry, some tanks are made to keep your carry alive; if that means CCing the opposing team's anticarry (who is often a tank), then do it.
-You have to understand that playing as a tank is not necessarily the same as being a tank. Armor and health alone do not make you a tank, getting items that provide CD reduction and Unique abilities like Raduin's Omen or Frozen Heart that increase your presence.
-There is such thing as too many tanks.

Raddon

11-20-2010

There is one important thing missing there, it is the tanks role to know when to engage a fight and when to retreat, initiating a fight you cant win can cost you the match, failing to retreat when you cant keep your push/defend your turret can cost you the match.

About K/D ratios, I main Garen and I end up with amazing ratios most of the time. If the other team dont focus me I always get to kill at least one of their carrys, and most times I end up killing some people my carries damaged.
I only get bad scores when the other team gets so scared with my damage they focus me first, in those cases my team usually wins the fights with even more ease.

Explodomancer

11-20-2010

I only play tanks and I love it. My KDA isn't great, I'm usually like 2/6/17.

When I need a hard tank, I play Amumu or Gragas. When I want to off tank I play Mordekaiser or Mundo and actually get kills while absorbing most enemy fire (because kids like to attack Mundo for some reason)

I love being the glorious ******* who can walk into five of the enemy team and suck up like five seconds of focus fire while my team gets situated and picks their targets. Then it's time for an AoE stun or blow them apart with Gragas barrel.

Mundo is special in that he can walk THROUGH the enemy team, with Ghost and his Ult, and savagely beat a squishy to death while hurting everyone with fire aura, then run from the fight for 2 seconds while his ult finishes healing him, and come back in with cleavers and huge melee swings to help chase and kill the remaining foes.

I don't care if I die, if it means that I sucked up every spell they can throw at me and my team rolls over them in the wake of my sacrifice. I love charging straight at a tower, absorbing fire, while my team focuses the tower to death in 2 seconds and moves on to the enemies. Also, I find that tanks are good at running PAST the tower, to chase defenders away, while the team can put pressure on it.

Love tanks. Tried to play mages or DPS guys but they die too fast. I hate getting three shotted as Veigar or something.

WORST THINGS ABOUT TANKING: Having a stupid team who will do stuff like chase a fast character AWAY from the teamfight, trying to kill them, while I'm left alone standing in front of three guys who just kill me. It's so awful, I'll initiate a perfectly winnable attack, and three of my teammates break away to chase down a Singed or Warwick or some horrible choice. STAY WITH YOUR TANK. An enemy at 1 bar of health isn't going to contribute to the teamfight, let him run away and live while we kill four of the team and then take a tower.

DON'T ATTACK THE ENEMY TANK. Oh my god this is the worst. I go in, stun the carry or something, and everyone clumps up on enemy Rammus like a JV soccer team. STUPID.

Help your tank help you by playing smart.

Raddon

11-20-2010

Idd nothing can be worse than 2 allies running after that teemo they will never get just to see you lose the actual team fight.
Also sucks when you tower dive damaging defenders and soaking damage while your team looks at you absolutly clueless.

Thats the danger of solo queue, no live communication and some change of having some complete noobs in your team.

What I do is as much blue ping as possible, and explain them to follow my tower dive since I soak the damage, to fall back when I say B, and not to chase enemys before team battle is actually won.

Lately Ive lead some teams with 2/3 noobs who were completly feeding their lane, just by not flaming and advice them to push behind me and always let me initiate, and pinging on people and turrets for them to go clean those minions getting too close. Pinging on people who are pushing way too far and are very gank exposed.

I used to enjoy playing carries much more, but I ended up losing a lot due to clueless tanks, I find my win ratio much higher now I play tank.