Countering Twitch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Disillusion

12-14-2009

Get him early and frustrate him. Don't let him feed. Once he starts stacking the attack speed gear, he will get his 6 stacks of poison on you very quickly and then you'll be slowed an expunged when you are low enough.

It's hard laning against him when you know he's there but just invisible. He's just going to wait for the right moment to hit you from behind, and the only thing you can do is stay near the turret.

The last annoying thing about him is how easy it is for him to escape with stealth. If you're a melee and need to close in on him, he will probably stealth in time before you can finish him off, and then unless you have oracle's you won't find him and he makes another lucky escape. Try not to go anywhere alone when he's around, especially if you're pushing enemy towers. If he's not well fed, then stick to 5 man gank/push teams. He won't pick a fight on you solo if you have backup because he can be focussed down fast.

It should go without saying that in a team fight he is the #1 priority target.

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2009

Teemo

/thread

D2Freak

12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3r175s View Post
When I play twitch if im laned against sivir solo I switch lanes, she is an unbelievable early counter to him.
Sicir is just as easy, just dodge the spinning wheel, then give her one or two poison attacks and expunge.. When she's half health, ambush and finish it.

Elyk Draw

12-16-2009

I'm relatively new to the game (level 16), but since twitch went free, I started dominating. In fact, I got tired of playing twitch much like children eventually realize that cheating at videogames isn't all that fun day #2. I'm not a great player, and I have no great strategy. I just start with vamp, then boots (swift/zerk/mobility), malady, wits, gg.

Look, it's real simple, and it's been said before, but the "easy" way to counter twitch requires a certain champion (who you can't pick after you know if there is an nme twitch or not) or requires you and 4 teammates to play great. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be forced to play teemo because twitch might be on the other team. Furthermore, in my games, you have at least one bad/new player on your team = rat food. When I play twitch, I generally know who that is by the 20 minute mark.

I'm certain this isn't true for all twitch-defenders, but I think at least some of you want to think you're great at this game because you go 20-2-20 with twitch. News flash: most of the people saying twitch is OP do the same - we just aren't delusional.

What to nerf? Q,W,E work perfectly together, and make him the well-designed character he is. I could see a slight reduction in the length of his slow - it's VERY long, and I find it effective even after 2 stacks. I think his main source of OP (and the one skill you could rework without changing the nature of the character) is his Ult. It turns an assassin character into a team-destroying Rambo? A tower destroying siege unit?

He'd still be a deadly assassin, and his ult could be reworked into something more in line with his character. Just an idea - flame away.

Zulunko

12-16-2009

It is true that twitch is far too powerful against less experienced players. Also, it is far too easy for those same less experienced players to play twitch.

Before any of you twitch players go all defensive on me about his difficulty, I am mainly talking about "noob tactics" and things that could easily kill someone who was inexperienced.

See, for an inexperienced player to play twitch and beat other inexperienced players, he simply needs to know how and when to use stealth. Inexperienced players generally have less full-map awareness than experienced players, so naturally when twitch disappears on one side of the map, most inexperienced players either wont notice it or wont really think about it too much. Then twitch can go ahead and finish off that half-dead Master Yi in the jungle, or that low-health Anivia staying far behind her lines (though, seeing inexperienced players play Anivia doesnt happen often).

My point is, an inexperienced player who knows how to move around unseen as twitch, which is not hard, can completely kill other inexperienced players.

He isnt difficult to beat for higher-ELO players., though

This means he definitely needs to be reworked somehow, simply because any noob in this game can and will get ganked by him the entire game, and any noob who happens to choose the right week or happens to have 6300 IP can completely dominate the lower ELO with twitch, and end up being one of those "wtf noob??" people in higher-ELO who ends up completely feeding due to an inexperience in dealing with full-map awareness and people with wards or elixirs.

I think realistically the only way to deal with this without changing the character too much is to shorten his stealth time. No high-ELO player who plays twitch is going to stay stealthed sitting next to the other team for hours anyways, because chances are one of them has some sort of stealth detection. A lower-ELO player can stealth forever next to someone and wait for a perfect opportunity, which is a strategy, but it relies more on the other persons lack of skill rather than the twitches skill in ganking them.

This is not to say his ultimate should not be reworked, just to say the best way to close the ELO gap with twitch is to decrease his stealth time, in my opinion.

Sorry about weird grammar, I cant type an apostrophe in this forum for some reason. Thanks for reading anyways.

ahkzee

12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
Yeeeeeeah that's what I've been wondering. It's weird so many people took this as an OP PLZ NERF complaint thread. I've just consistently failed against Twitch no matter what I do and was asking HOW, and 75% of the responses have been "hes not OP just do stuff L2P noob".

Even in a group fight where he could be focus fired, smart Twitches will stay far off and pepper everyone with spray and pray. When expunge goes off it's like everyone got hit with a super version of Nunu's ultimate, and Twitch never had to close for it.

Questions:

Is there a limit to poison stacks?

What does the duration on his slow ability mean? Is that the duration of each poison slow stack as it hits the target, or the duration of Twitch's attacks causing slow (i.e. all slows on anyone go away from activating the ability to the end of the duration)?
I have a friend who mains twitch, and teams with a ton of CC's (hell even teams with 2) eat him alive if timed right. He still picks off the stranglers and one or two people in hectic team fights and manages to stealth off to safety but he can be easily countered. Get a cleanse yourself, or heal. Grab exhaust, I usually have exhaust every game regardless. Exhaust is amazing for offense and defense, as you can use it to escape that assassin/carry. I found that my favorite counters to twitch have been tanky characters, Rammus, Cho'Gath, and Nunu (I play him AP spec but an icebolt, ulti even only if it lasts 2 seconds kills Twitch pretty easily).

The thing about countering twitch is to be fully aware, like said above look for how your opponent's lane play changes and always be ready to exhaust that twitch and either kill him if you have help or run. A well placed exhaust ruins his gank very often. Hope this helps.

FABIOForever

12-16-2009

So far the best counter I've tried has been cleanse + exhaust. Most successfully with Fiddlesticks. Cleanse + drain.

The problem is the Twitch player was fairly clueless. He didn't even realize his shots were missing and stuck around till he died. He also didn't have cleanse. A better Twitch would have just cleansed the exhaust and CC then restealthed, coming back when my exhaust was on cooldown.

churros

Adjudicator

12-16-2009

Honestly, beating twitch is mostly strat in game. One way to defeat twitch would be to have a stun in each lane. Personally vision wards work fine if you hug them. The range is much better than oracles and yes you can still farm, but it must be done near the ward. Whenever i find my laning matched up with twitch i tend to buy 2 vision wards. This gives me a range of detection of over 2000. Now when setting up wards you have to use these to your advantage. Once they are set up they become invisible, so the enemy doesn't know you set them up. (unless you set it up in front of them, and please dont, that's completely stupid. This costs only 300. Now when twitch tries to ambush you will be able to see him. Dont try to 1v1 him because it seems that its pretty hard for most champions. This is when you call in for ganks. Ganks are the only way teams win, unless the enmy is stupid. Now when your people come let them stay either out side the fog-of-war or in some grass so twitch doesn't see them. This is known as bait or lure tactics. Let the either squishiest or the one with the stun get near twitch, assumming he is with range of the two wards. Then just gank him.
Now i know this doesn't work all the time, especially if the twitch has boost or flash but ganks are necessary to kill twitch unless he truly sucks. Coordinating ganks is pretty much the best way to kill a twitch.
Now although i said i wouldn't consider 1v1 twitches, i still don't think its possible for a twitch to kill you if you have boost. Unless the twitch is fed the damage from his poison isn't critical and he will have average att speed. boost will always get away from twitch. Some people haven't read the release notes, but now boost does get rid of poison (but not ignite). I reccomend boosting once you are far enough from him that he has to move to hit you, even if you debillitating poison is affecting you. Boost will cancel the slow and will make his expunge useless. These scenarios really only work if your team is decent and doesn't feed and takes all precautions necessary. (running into the grass on the lane sides is a no no if they have invisible people. Wards are truly twitches weakness. Try to get them as quickly as possible so you can fight twitch immediately. Once you kill twitch even a couple of times, his damage output is dropped dramatically. Try to gank with 4 people if twitch isn't alone, with the last person defending the lane farthest from the actual fight.
Hope this helps=)

FASHO

12-16-2009

cleanse and oracles

TiredDaemon

The Council

12-16-2009

Alright, some people are getting upset at the l2p comments and can't figure out why twitch keeps owning them. Oracles and wards have already been mentioned, so Im going to explain why lots of people don't have a big problem with twitch.

Once you get to mid-higher levels of play, players will routinely leave their lanes to try and gank someone they see as exposed. As such, all players need to have map awareness, knowledge of what abilities the enemy heroes have, and how effective/what their items are. Are you in a solo lane when you see one enemy in front of you and two people mia? Is there a spot they can be hiding/going towards that can cut off your escape and kill you? Are you lower on health then you should be so a few good hits will take you down? If any of these are true, they are probably going to kill you.

Dealing with twitch at all levels of play works in the same fashion. Do you know where twitch was 10 seconds ago? Can he get into a position to prevent you from escaping? Do you have another person who can disable him near you? Are you low on hps? If any of these are true, twitch will probably come to kill you.

As you can see, the same tactics that let you play effectively at mid-high level play work against twitch at all levels. The problem is that a majority of people aren't good enough for mid-higher level play, so they don't see how important teamwork, positioning, and map awareness really is. Once you master those concepts twitch ceases to become a problem and ends up becoming a liability.