[Guide]Sion - The Three-way Hybrid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Churchy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Friend of Urf

11-20-2010

This build excels at nothing and costs 15.7k.
Good luck ever farming that out in a game, especially when you waste your cash on items like this.

AD could farm just about as well as this build, and with 15.7k they would deal some actual damage, not mediocre **** like what you are setting up for.

You're basically looking at:

An AP build of Zhonyas, AA, Mejais, Boots, Lichbane, Abyssal/GA
An AD build of IE, LW, BT, Starks, Youmuus, Boots
A tank build of Warmogs Fon Sunfire Randuins BV boots

Any one of those probably costs less and does more.

Elyk Draw

11-22-2010

Thanks for all the feedback. Most importantly - I agree that the complete build is expensive (stated numerous times in the build). You're not going to finish it unless the game goes long. With that said, this Sion farms strong - really strong. As long as you're not getting rolled, you should have the gold and item advantage all game. Perhaps I didn't stress the pushing component of this build enough in the guide, but it’s important.

A second reason for making this build expensive is that my AP Sion maxes out his item build (relatively) quickly.

With those two aside, look at this build as a tanky CC machine in short-to-medium games (with a little AOE damage tossed in for good measure). Since you don't need more than your Rod and two tank items to do that effectively, use those last two slots to boost your naturally-high damage. Your goal is still not to Yi everyone to death, but now you can down towers, heal the team, contribute to focus damage, etc.

Finally, I hope the guide is clear that you don’t have to build both survivability items if you aren’t having trouble. You could end up with the Rod, Randuin’s, and Last Whisper. You’ve still got great synergy between all your skills:

Q – Rod (with some synergy from the CDR in Randuin’s)
W – Rod (with some synergy from the tank/CDR aspects of Randuin’s)
E – Synergy from Randuin’s and Last Whisper (minor from Rod – health stacking)
R – Same as E

I made sure to put the "jack-of-all trades, master of none" disclaimer in the intro. It's the criticism I would initially give to any build like this. What I'm saying is that it actually works.

@lolrape - thanks for looking out for me even if there is a conspiracy.

@ardeaf & lolrape - Don't mean to imply that either "sucks" late/early, but they ARE weaker.

I'm actually more experienced with the AP build, and I can tell you that the later the game goes, the harder it is to get that shield off. You simply can't stack AP faster than the AD ramps up past mid game. If you get the jump on them, you can probably get the first shield off. If not, the shield is simply not going to last 4 seconds against a decent team. The stun? Still effective. Lichbane? Still good, but your shield damage dwarfs those two (1000 x 5 - potentially given ardeaf's numbers). The shield is going to get focused down, and if you’re strictly AP, you're likely to be focused down soon after.

This build doesn't have a 1000 damage stun, but it does have the very real ability to get off more stuns, and on more important targets, by being in the middle of the action. 3 stuns at 380 dmg stunning the carry for 2s each is better than your 1000 damage stuns being applied to the tanks or whoever you can reach (hopefully you're not over extending). I'm slightly exaggerating to make a point, but I hope the point is clear: this Sion will be around longer than my AP Sion - offsetting the damage difference and applying more seconds of stun.

Thanks again, and keep the criticisms coming.

snugglecow

12-24-2010

I've enjoyed playing Sion this way for the past couple of weeks. Had several people tell me though that the build was ****. Don't know if I need to tweak the items or what.

CrazyCalzone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2011

For my Sion build and gameplay I have the majority of my runes as dodge in seals, crits in marks, and AP in glyphs. quints are movespeed. With this I build to a warmogs and phantom dancer with boots of swiftness, then I get guinsoos rageblade. I feel that this strikes a wonderful balance between AP and AD with my fav champ sion

Elyk Draw

03-31-2011

Shameless bump/necro to share with the community after updating the guide and (hopefully) making the build clearer. Thanks.

xXPerfeXionXx

03-31-2011

Straight AP Sion will always be the best way to do it

Elyk Draw

04-01-2011

How do you handle late game? My experience is that the shield is too fragile to last 4 seconds to detonate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's affected by your Armor or MR, so even non-focus damage can break it in 4 seconds. This means a very unreliable AOE damage source. All you have left is Q.

bylobog44

04-03-2011

What do you think of Hextech Gunblade instead of Youmuu's?

The active (with a 700 range) adds some reach to his nuke while the shield / stun are on CD.

Warrrax

04-04-2011

Shield becomes less important lategame. Its main focus is uber farming and lane dominance.

By the time teamfights roll around, by the time 4 seconds go by after triggering, its already down. On the other hand, thats a lot of damage that you didn't take too (kind of like a preemptive heal).

Once in the fight, theres no way you will ever get a shield to last long enough to detonate. So your best bet is to bring up shield as the tank initiates and be ready to blow it as soon as you can.