Building a Nunu who does consistence damage.. thought/idea needed.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mojozhu

04-03-2011

Just came across my mind just now, don't know if this works.

I have always been a big Nunu fan due to his insane counter jungling/early game power. It is sad though during teamfight, it always seems a bit lack of power using him. I tried to build him AP, but then if I don't land a great ult I will be useless; I tried to build him tanky support, but all I can do at teamfight is to slow enemy/bloodboil my carry.

His mid to late game is a bit frustrating.

Here is what I thought of, building him hybrid. Example build here(in no particular order):

Sorc boot
Wit's end
Sunfire
Abyssal
B. Veil

My reasoning, due to his high base damage in spells. MPen/MR reduction will do much more than adding pure AP. Sorc boot is a great item.

Wit's end got a good amount of magic damage per hit (42), this on hit proc also synergize with attack speed Nunu has. Also synergize with the sorc boot's MPen well. With a decent amount of MR added to survivability.

Sunfire, another source of consistence damage. 40 damage per second synergize with sorc boot. Health and armor add to survivability.

Abyssal, MR reduction = Synergize with sunfire/wit's/his high base damage. Also a bit of AP and MR as well.

B.Veil, Core item to land his ult.

My goal in this build, is to have a bit of tankiness, at the same time doing damage. Because running in and out of battle to deal one iceball damage is really boring and inefficient.

With this build I can withstand a bit of damage, I can nuke a little bit, I can still give out pain when I ult. Just a bit of everything.

You thought? (Open mind please, I know AP/tanky is the mainstream way)

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2011

You need guinsoo for hybrid, there is almost no exception(akali is the only one I can think of; but akali can do better going straight AP with the only AD from gunblade).

mojozhu

04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
You need guinsoo for hybrid, there is almost no exception(akali is the only one I can think of; but akali can do better going straight AP with the only AD from gunblade).
Guinsoo seems a bit lack of defense. But the AS AP and AD do seems nice.

Urr

04-03-2011

If you are playing a tank Nunu, your source of damage comes from putting Bboil on the appropriate champ, and iceballing someone until they are dead, and then repeating

Yes, getting your ult off is extremely important, but it isn't your sole utility. Also, the base damage on his ult is over 1000 at the end of the game, so even without AP, it isn't like you can't dish some serious damage out on people while their team tries to flee, if you do it right it is way better than an Amumu ult

the problem with buying wit's end for him, is that you don't actually auto attack enough, you're still a caster, think along the lines of Malphite, sure you can smack people a couple times, every now and again, but it isn't really enough that buying AD or AS items is going to help you more than tankiness/AP

Sunfire, Abyssal, BV, I'm perfectly fine seeing that go on a Nunu, all you're doing is helping yourself and your team with those items

Warrrax

04-04-2011

AP is not totally necessary but Nunu does have strong ratios. 2.5 on his ult is crazy! 1.0 on his spammable frostbolt is good, and consume benefits nicely too.

The key is to balance how much defense you need to do your job, vs offense. If the only tank Ill take no AP at all, instead looking at sorc boots, Sunfire, Banshees, Aegis, Frozen Heart to provide maximum toughness with some decent damage output capability.

If there is another tough person or two, Ill start with a Catalyst/Rod, then figure out how much AP vs toughness. Ill start with Negatron. Then, Sunfire, Aegis and upgrade to Banshee if I need the toughness. Otherwise, Ill upgrade Negatron to Abyssal Scepter instead, followed by Sunfire, and Deathcap, and Evil Tome to round it out with high AP, CDR, and still fairly tough.

--------
However, taking melee equipment just doesnt work. It is very tempting due to his selfbuff and toughness, but Nunu already wants to take toughness items, CDR, and also AP and magic pen. He has plenty of good stuff to spend his gold on. Wits End probably is the best melee item for him though, since it doubles as Magic resist, boosts AS more, and 42 dmg per hit.