Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champion Suggestion] Etta - The Monkey King

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MonkeeD

11-19-2010

READ THE DATE OF THIS POST PEOPLE
REWORKED AND UPDATED NUMBERS SINCE ORIGINAL POST
Etta – The Monkey King

Deep within the hearts of the Kumungu, where the trees grow thickest and tallest, where even the most intrepid explorers have failed to reach, there dwell creatures great and small and some even more dangerous than anything created in a Zaunite Laboratory.
It is here, high in the tree tops and away from the hostile world below them that the Monkey tribes of Kumungu call home, the city of Enduku. Strong, and athletic, the playful populace prefer laughter and merriment, practicing an ancient form of martial arts that emphasises movement and flow, as a means of fun and not to harm one another, however as dark times sweep over Valoran, it has become evident that blissful ignorance is no longer an option.

After the Noxian occupation of Ionia the tree dwellers finally took note of the world around them. Etta, The Head of the Tribe, concerned by the colonialist tendencies of his neighbouring states decided to make the journey to the Halls of Justice.

Enduku, home to thousands of his kind is not even locatable on a map, let alone recognised as a sovereign state by any of the other nations. Etta believed that if he was able to join the League of Legends, the High Council may consider awarding nation status to the Monkey people and award them jurisdiction over the Kumungu, in theory protecting Enduku from any form of unsanctioned invasion.

In truth the Monkey people have no king of which to speak, it was only once reached the League that the title was bestowed upon him. Now Etta fights for the league to gain recognition for his prowess, and his people and in the hope that the league will afford them sovereignty over their land.

“It’s all fun and games until he takes out one of yer eyes!” – Gragas

Name: Etta – The Monkey King
Type: Melee, Fighter, Fast
HP: Low
Attack: High
Speed: High – 320 ms level 1 Base Atk Rate – .750*
Spells: Medium
Difficulty: Moderate

Passive: Playful Mockery: Etta is playful and extremely dexterous, laughing as he dodges and dives around the field. Enemies who fail to land hit a hit on Etta often become enraged by his lack of respect and “jovial” taunting.

With each successful dodge Etta gains a 0.5 Second Taunt Stack, stacks 10 times, stacks last 6 seconds
Each Stack increases Etta’s Movement speed by 4% and Dodge chance by 2%

[Q]: Add Injury to Insult: ACTIVE: Etta taunts a target for X seconds where X is the number of stacks accrued by his passive. If that target manages to attack Etta while taunted he responds with powerful single strike dealing: 60/75/100/125/150 (+1 per point atk damage point true damage) This strike ENDS the taunt.
RANGE: 400
PASSIVE: increases Etta’s chance to dodge by 5%/10%/12%/14%/15% COOLDOWN: 12sec/10sec/8sec/6sec/5sec
COST: 50/60/75/80/100 mana

-OK so the way I am writing this is that the taunt itself unlike shen’s and Rammus’ Doesn’t do damage when you cast it. Because of this it has longer range and the potential to last longer, however if the player wants to do something like drag the opponent into a tower, they’ll have to taunt at MAX range and then run backwards without letting their opponent hit them otherwise Etta will counter attack and the taunt will end. I feel personally like the balance comes in nicely because while the attack is very strong, the obvious drawback is that you might only taunt them for one second after saving up 10 stacks. At the same time, you may not have the stacks at any given time to use the taunt to maximum potential; this makes it kind of situation specific to be AWESOME but still good during average play

[W]: Magic Staff Extension: ACTIVE: Etta thrusts his magic staff forward in a stabbing motion, in doing so the staff extends across the battlefield striking enemies in it’s path dealing: 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.5 per point of Atk) Slowing them by 10% for .5 seconds
RANGE: 500
COOLDOWN: 8sec/7sec/6sec/5sec/5sec
Cost: 65/75/85/85/110 mana

- This is a skill based attack, meaning the player has to aim it themselves; Ideally, the radius of the move will be quite thin like the pole would be, I’m imagining similar to mundo’s cleaver. This is just a basic farm move.

[E]: Flurry of Fists: Etta throws a volley of swift and powerful punches
Active: greatly increases Etta’s speed and Critical Strike chance be +15%AS 10%crit/ 20%AS 15%Crit/ 30%AS 20%Crit/ 40%AS 25%CRIT/50%AS 25%Crit for 5/6/7/8/10 seconds.
Cost: 20/30/40/50/50 Mana
PASSIVE: Etta's attack speed is reduced by 20% for 5 seconds after use
COOLDOWN: 15sec/14sec/13sc/12sec/10sec

-This one probably doesn’t need a lot of explaining; please remember this is CHANCE to deal critical hits NOT increased Crit damage. Basically a 1v1 skill.
*NOTE: I am also toying with the idea that Etta’s base attack rate will be quite low but rather than active this move will become a permanent passive. Thoughts?

[R]: Master of the 72 Forms: Etta becomes invisible until his next strike, dealing an Instant Critical Hit in True damage to a single target
Cost: 100 mana
COOLDOWN: 60sec/45sec/30sec

-Ok I’m not sure this needs too much explaining either but what the heck. I wanted to try and pay some homage to the ancient Chinese mythology of the Monkey King, which you would see with the magic staff, however I can’t exactly having him flying around on a cloud or anything like that, however in the Mythology it is said that the Monkey King can transform into 72 different forms, from something as large as a tree to something as small as a mosquito, hence he becomes invisible when using this skill. Then he gets to land One true damage crit, because he catches the enemy unaware. I don’t see this being too overpowered as you would need high Attack power to really do a lot with it, and considering Cho can do 900 true damage why can’t anyone else? :P

*BUILD NOTES:
-OK so the first thing you are probably wanting to discuss is Playability/Survivability. This character is reasonably squishy, but due to his dodge chance and High damage potential this gives him survivability as a lifestealer or a dodger. So to accommodate that I would suggest items like Phantom Dancer and Starks Fervor/Bilgewater Cutlass etc etc are probably ideal for this hero.

-Next is the potential to deal out damage. You’ll notice that a lot of his skills have low cooldowns, but none of them are what I would personally consider a big fight winner or table turner. I mean the taunt in a fight has no real practical application until/unless your opponent tries to flea, otherwise you’ll simply waste it to deal out some damage. So obviously again this character will benefit from Phantom Dancer (enhanced crit chance and dodge and atk speed) and for a damage perspective probably items like, Infinity Edge, Avarice blade, Executioner’s Calling, which increase Crit as he can activate to increase his crit chance. Pumping attack Damage and Crit damage should be your primary Goals as they will buff the Ultimate considerably. Perhaps consider things like a Brutaliser, to make a Ghostblade, etc. The point is Damage, damage, damage, all of the skills are fed by attack damage and Etta relies on his basic attack quite heavily to create openings/reasons to use his moves.

-Due to his high dodge chance I was considering making his magic resist and armour values quite low. So if survivability is proving to be an issue players could consider a warden’s mail to buff armour. I would personally recommend coupling a Lifesteal item with a spirit visage to increase all healing by 25% or whatever it is, this brings some good regen and would enable the player to fights some good 1v1 battles.

-What I am most concerned with is practicality. Anyone can say “oh my build is invincible I get a frozen mallet and an infinity edge and a phantom dancer and a Bloodthirster” but in reality that build costs you like nearly 16k which less face it, you don’t normally get. So really What im thinking is that Phantom Dancer and Infinity Edge are extremely expensive, but good to work up towards via Zeal and B.F. Sword, other than that things like Spirit visage ($1250) Bilge Cutlass (1875) or Starks (2550) the idea is keeping cost down. Also you’d need some form of Boots which usually add up to an average of (1000) So I’d forecast the full build to be in the vicinity of 9k-10k which is an achievable target IMO.
So your recommended build MIGHT look something like this.
Berserkers Greaves, Starks Fervor, Phantom Dancer, infinity Edge, Spirit Visage, Guardian Angel (seeing as they always recommend it)

Anyway, Long post I know, Thanks for taking the time and patience to read it, your CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is genuinely appreciated. This is my first attempt at making a character so let me know.

Remorazz

11-19-2010

Definitely getting a "Forbidden Kingdom" Monkey King vibe all this... +1. Have pondered this myself for some time.

MonkeeD

11-19-2010

Thanks! Yeah i was looking at things like forbidden kingdom and Monkey Magic for source info etc. There is actually a ton of Chinese Lore about the Monkey king and it's a popular folk tale so there is plenty of rich storyline stuff you can play with there as well.

It's fun to kind of mix in some fun pop cultural stuff with the game, for example annie bearing a striking resemblance to american mcgee's alice and Dr Mundo being a kind of Jekyl and Hyde sort of character.

MonkeeD

11-19-2010

Bamp!

Imafirinmuhlazer

11-19-2010

nice champ but with the dodge masteries and ninja tabi isnt he getting a bit much dodge chance and passive stacks? if he can move while taunting (10 seconds lol) there will be early game tower kills galore...

Imafirinmuhlazer

11-19-2010

also do the passive stacks stack/ add-up? if so those numbers need nerfing or this monkey king will be able to mainstain constantly over 5 stacks (i think the passive should just give the move speed).

MonkeeD

11-20-2010

the passive and the first mvoe are critical to the char. the way it loses power is that fact that A: the stacks only last 6 seconds. and B: If the enemy lands a hit on you then your taunt will end, so if u taunt someone who is faster than u or ranged, your taunt ends immediately. see how u cant use it to rape ranged squishies?

you could shorten it to 1 second for the first stack and .5 for every stack beyond that. if you are afraid of balance.

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback

MonkeeD

11-20-2010

bump!

MonkeeD

11-20-2010

Bumped again, cmon people please give me some feedback. I endeavour to post in all your suggestion threads.

MonkeeD

11-20-2010

Shameless bump -.-