Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Irelia - Captainesque

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

According to the lore, Irelia is the Ionian Captain--which can be seen in games. Playing Irelia really depends on your play-style, so this guide will help you understand how to utilize her Captain qualities!

At first it seemed like Irelia couldn't survive at all, so builds were based on that.
Then, it seemed like Irelia couldn't do any damage, so builds were based on that.
Lastly, it seemed like Irelia was slow, so builds were based on that...

This build is a great balance of everything and really promotes what a Captain should deliver! Plus, this guide might help you understand the importance of your team when it comes to playing Irelia.

---
Why this is Captainesque:

Irelia is the Captian. With this play-style you will really compliment that ability to carry your team to victory even in the toughest of times. Item build and Skill Build is heavily important to this play-style. The Rune Page and Masteries solidifies the style. There is really truth to her /joke, "Balance in all things!"
---

Quick Menu
-Intro- (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196748#post4196748)
-Masteries and Summoner Skills- (http://"http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196757#post4196757)
-Rune Pages- (http://"http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196770#post4196770)
-Item Build- (http://"http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196785#post4196785)
-Skill Build- (http://"http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196796#post4196796)
-Playstyle and Pros/Cons- (http://"http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196815#post4196815)
-Notes- (http://"http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196918#post4196918)

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

For starters, you want to make sure your masteries are set up in one of two ways. I don't recommend getting Good Hands (in Utility) because you are not aiming to die (which means you have Bad Hands)...however, it may prove useful late-game. Your choice!

Offensive Base (21-0-9)

Offensive
Deadliness 3/3
Archmage's Savvy 1/3
Sorcery 4/4
Alacrity 4/4
Archaic Knowledge 1/1
Sunder 1/3
Brute Force 3/3
Lethality 3/3
Havoc 1/1

Utility
Perseverance 3/3 -or- Good Hands 3/3
Haste 1/1
Awareness 4/4
Greed 1/1

Utility Base (9-0-21)
Offensive
Deadliness 3/3
Archmage's Savvy 1/3
Sorcery 4/4 -or- Alacrity4/4
Archaic Knowledge 1/1 -or- Burning Embers 1/1 (if you got Alacrity)

Utility
Perseverance 3/3 -or- Good Hands 3/3
Haste 1/1
Awareness 4/4
Greed 1/1
Expanded Mind 4/4
Quickness 3/3
Blink of an Eye 1/1
Intelligence 3/3
Presence of the Master 1/1

-------

I recommend getting Flash and Ghost as your summoner skills.
-Use Flash to get out of sticky situations or initiate an attack.
-Use Ghost to flee or chase.

Ignite may be good to use if the opponent is running, but you don't want to chase.

-Back to Top- (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196748#post4196748)

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

Rune Page(s)!

Next you want to figure out what runes you want to use. This is dependent on how you play. Note: All runes must be Tier 3.

Crit-Base Page
If you want to focus on having low Physical Attack (lower than 200), early-game kills, and more skill based attacks...I recommend this page.

You want to get Crit Chance Marks and Seals--while having Crit Damage Quints and Glyphs... You will end up with Crit Dmg 18% and Crit Chance 12%.

You could swap the two--but remember the maximum is 20%!

With this page, you can use the Utility Base Masteries page (recommended).

Speed Page
This page allows move easily between lanes, set up ganks, initiate an attack, hold a lane, hit opponents more (which means you have to chase less), or farm!

You want to get Attack Speed Marks and Seals/Glyphs added up to 20%. And Movement Speed Quints (4.5% is total). Anything left can be filled with Crit Chance, Crit Dmg, Dodge, flat HP, or Mana Regen.

The reason for this page is to save you some time and allow you to stay in the fight more often. This page works great with Offensive Base Masteries because it benefits from even more Attack Speed and even more Physical Damage--which allows for great early game survivability.

I recommend getting flat HP fillers or Mana Regen fillers based on how you build your Irelia--and what would make the process to getting items require. Most likely, you may find yourself low on Mana after holding a Solo lane for a long time... Hiten Style and Transcendent Blades should be enough to maintain health.

I've tested a full Attack Speed page (except Quints)--and it really makes farming and healing with Hiten Style extremely easy...So, if you have the IP for it--try it out.

-Back to Top- (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=4196748#post4196748)

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

Item Build!

Almost every game you can use this item build with slight changes with the first item and boots.
Against high early game damage, harassing, physical DPS teams (range or melee):

1) Doran's Shield and either a HP Potion or Mana Potion
-I recommend a HP Potion if you are stuck with harassing opponents in your lane.
-I recommend a Mana Potion if you like to use skills frequently to kill minions
2) Boots
-Ninja Tabi if your opponents deal a lot of Physical Dmg through Auto-Attacks
-Mercury Threads if your opponents deal Magic Dmg or have AoE/Crowd Control skills. Note that Irelia's passive is just that--having Mercury Threads can really help in-addition to!
-Berserker's Greaves if your your Rune Page isn't based on Attack Speed or if you want to farm extremely fast.
-Boots of Swiftness if you are being harassed all game or need to cover someone's lane while they beam.
-Boots of Mobility if your team does not have someone with Teleport and lanes are being pushed hard and untimely.
2) Sheen
Notice how I numbered this 2 as well... This is because the Speed Page for runes. With the added Movement Speed from runes--boots can be acquired later. I strongly recommend getting boots before moving on (after Sheen) if you take this build.

Sheen gives you a Mana boost, plus allows you to deal awesome damage early game.
"...Auto attacking after your Q DOESN'T use Sheen's proc. Q will activate sheens passive and ALSO use it, doubling the damage from 160 to 320. This will give your Q the ability to be hitting for around 600-700 (Without adding in armor reduction, armor penetration etc. etc)." ~ Tarcus
"q will use the sheen proc, but it wont use q's damage to calculate it, it still uses your regular damage for the proc bonus calculation." ~jokull

2-5) Phage
This item gives you great survivability, more physical damage, and a chance to slow your opponent!
2-5) Zeal
You can really use the Speed boost!
5) Sheen, Phage, Zeal all add up to the fifth item: Trinity Force
This item can really help bring down your opponent...whoever it may be! Don't argue it--just get it and witness the beauty. The bonuses are wonderful and really complement your abilities.
X) Stark's Fervor
Attack Speed+Lifesteal bonus...Plus, Armor Reduction on opponents. The Aura is quite beneficial to your team, and even more useful if someone else were to get it as well.
X) Hexdrinker
If you are up for it, get this little beauty ASAP--especially if you are in a solo lane 1v2 or against a mage 1v1. The shield makes a great bait! Plus, the bonus Attack Damage and Magic Resistance is well worth it!
----

If the game were to last long, the next few items are very valuable to survivability:

-Phantom Dancer
The added Dodge rate along with Ninja Tabi would help you against any DPS characters who are threatening you. Plus: the Crit, Attack Speed, and Movement Speed applauds your survivability if you get into a sticky situation.
-Thornmail
If you are being plummeted by an opposing physical DPS--this is a great item to boost your survivability. Highly recommended.
-Warden's Mail
The Armor bonus and HP Regen (plus the possibiity to slow attackers) really help surviving a fight or running away. If possible, made Randuin's Omen for increased HP pool and the Active effect to slow down fleeing/chasing opponents.
-Abysmal Scepter
Versing a lot of AP/Magic champions, low MRes Tanks, or just want to overkill? Abysmal Scepter's Magic Resistance Reduction Aura, Magic Resistance bonus, and AP really add power to your abilities.
-Banshee's Veil
Great Magic Resistance, skill ignore, and HP/MP bonus. Survivability baby!
-Force of Nature
This is probably one of the best survivability items you can have. The high Magic Resistance bonus and HP Regen can really help you survive.
-Aegis of the Legion (Support)
Your team may need some survivability as well--help them out while you enjoy the same effect with a small HP boost.

-Innervating Locket (Support)
Best if gotten early (fairly cheap). Would definitely make you able to farm longer and hold the lane (and use Bladesurge to farm)...plus help your allies as well. But getting this item leaves you open to being underfarmed and easily harassed until you actually get it. I don't recommended it if you are paired with someone who can't harass.

I would lean toward getting survivability items after getting your main items (Doran's, Trinity Force, Boots, etc.) if your team lacks a tank or needs a hand being one.
----

You may have noticed I haven't included any AD items. With the current build you should have close to 170 Physical Damage Power, which is more than enough. Depending on your team make-up (if you have less tank-type champions or more) you should base additional AD items on just that.
If you have less tank-type champions, I recommend the items listed before this section. If you have more tank-type champions on your team, I recommend these AD Items:

-Bloodthrister
Great item if you find yourself farming every now and then...plus picking off enemy champions. The Lifesteal compliments your Stark's Fevor...plus you can get more for overkill.
-Black Cleaver
Black Cleaver gives a lot of Attack Damage plus a neat passive. Note that it's okay to get more than one Black Cleaver because the more you have= The faster the Passive build-up.
-Infinity's Edge
This is a powerful item but also the most expensive--I recommend this only if you are farmed well or fed well.
----
Counter Items should be used if you are farmed well and when Stark's and Hiten Style don't help much health wise. In most cases, you won't even need to look at these items.

-Madred's Bloodrazer
Against high HP champions and adds a little survivability and damage boost. Plus, if you have Doran's Blade or any additional Life Steal item--you can kill Baron Nashor early on with ease.

-Wilt's End
Against Casters--let them pay for their large mana pool cramping your style.

I don't recommend Last Whisper because Hiten Style gives you True Damage--so added Penetration would only help if the opposing Tank is just that difficult to take down (usually not a problem). Same goes for Sword of the Divine--except the bonus Magic Damage may prove pleasing...
---

My starter recommendation:
Doran's Shield/Blade
Trinity Force/Hexdrinker (or both)

After those items, see what your team needs and build for it because your team looks up the support of their Captain! If you are being harassed, get two Doran's Shield. If you are not leveling your Hiten Style, get two Blades.

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

Skill per-level

First, lets break down the skills:

Bladesurge (Q): Irelia dashes forward to strike her target. If it kills the target, Bladesurge's cooldown refreshes and half the mana cost is refunded.
-This is a great farming tool if you have MP Regen items...however I don't recommend spamming it. With the Speed Page, it's better to Auto-Attack and Last Hit minions to farm up than use this skill. If you do use the skill, only do it to quickly strike and go back...don't stay in minions too long (you will be trapped).
Hiten Style (W): Irelia is skilled in the art of Hiten, passively giving her physical attacks health restoration. Activating Hiten Style adds true damage to her physical attacks for a short duration.
-This is a great survivability tool early game. With the addition to items such as Doran's Shield or Blade--it will really help you stay in a lane. This being said, it's
safe to get a Mana Potion with either Doran item rather than a HP Potion.

Equilibrium Strike (E): Irelia's attack balances the scales, dealing damage and slowing the target. However, if the target has a higher Health % than Irelia, then the blow stuns the target instead.
- This move is a life saver and great initatior at the start. It is easy to become at a lower percentage of health than your enemy, so the stun and damage output is
awesome.
Transcendent Blades (Ultimate - R): Irelia summons four spirit blades which she can fling at her enemies. These blades deal magic damage to enemies that they pass through, siphoning life from them and healing Irelia.
-This ultimate is very useful when holding a lane/clearing one. Don't be afraid to use it on minions because it heals you! It's low cooldown and low mana cost is very
applauding.
Ionian Fervor (Passive): Each nearby enemy champion (to a maximum of three) reduces the effectiveness of Crowd Control on Irelia.
-Now this Passive is great! Depending on who you are versing, it can pretty much leave you open to different boots--however, I believe the effect stacks with Mercury
Threads, so don't let it stop you from dishing out the gold!
---

There are two builds you can go. A Control+Farming build and a Control+Control build (which is how I like to call them):
Control+Farming
1) Bladesurge
2) Hiten Style
3) Equilibrium Strike
4) Bladesurge
5) Bladesurge
6) Transcendent Blades
7) Hiten Style
8) Bladesurge
9) Bladesurge
10) Hiten Style
11) Transcendent Blades
12) Hiten Style
13) Hiten Style
14) Equilibruim Strike
15) Equilibrium Strike
16) Transcendent Blades
17) Equilibrium Strike
18) Equilibrium Strike

With this make-up you leave your enemies open to intiate but also cause them to farm less. It also helps in harassing.
I recommend this make-up if you are in a SOLO lane.

Control+Control
1) Equilibrium Strike
2) Hiten Style
3) Equilibrium Strike
4) Bladesurge
5) Equilibrium Strike
6) Transcendent Blades
7) Equilibrium Strike
8) Hiten Style
9) Equilibruim Strike
10) Hiten Style
11) Transcendent Blades
12) Hiten Style
13) Hiten Style
14) Bladesurge
15) Bladesurge
16) Transcendent Blades
17) Bladesurge
18) Bladesurge

With this make-up you can really farm safely and harass your enemies real well. It also allows you to stay in a lane longer.
I recommend this build if you are in a DUAL-Lane.

The two builds really compliment the base item build because it adds damage to your best attacks. Sheen really hurts with Equilibrium Strike, Phage really hurts with Bladesurge, and Zeal really hurts with Hiten Style. Trinity Force is icing on the cake!

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

Play-Style:

-When playing Irelia, you should really focus on being aware of the entire map and your lane. Don't be crying over poor/no MIA calls because that is not Captainesque at
all. However, do try calling MIA for your lane.

-You should constantly look at the Mini-Map and pressing TAB to see which champions are visible. This is a real important life-skill to master because it's like checking your
mirrors while you are driving.

-Be sure to acknowledge any junglers, and if you are farming really well: place wards in key locations.

-Play Irelia like the entire other team is MIA all the time...plus realize in 1v1 and some 1v2 situations--Irelia can handle herself!

-Don't be afraid to use your Ultimate on minions. It is especially useful when trying to regain health and clear lanes faster so enemies can't push as well as they can.

-Equilibrium Strike is very useful if your opponent decides to turret dive or attack your turret. If you have lower health, it will stun...Time it well and you can even get your
turret to take your opponent down!

-If the opponent in your lane is turret hugging (tower hugging), help out other lanes with ganks immediately.

-Don't be afraid if you are dying for the teams expense early on...As long as your teammate gets the kill-- you are doing your job (in DUAL-Lanes only). If you are farming well, dying shouldn't halt you from getting Trinity Force. However, don't make it a habit to die--especially if other lanes are not doing so well or the Tank isn't doing a good job
surviving.

-Don't lane too long, move around the map and help out your team.

-Grabbing the Golem and Lizard buff help you stay in fights longer, so grab them if no one in the team is...Whenever you can, re-buff!

-Bladesurge can be used like a Flash if you are running away (if enemy minions are close) or Chasing an opponent. Remember to use Equilibruim strike afterward if you are chasing to slow them down (or even stun them)

-Farming is extremely important...the earlier the Trinity Force--the easier the early team-fights will be.
------

Pros & Cons
Playing a good Irelia relies on how balanced your build is (from Masteries to In-Game)

Pros
-Great farming
-Great Damage
-Great Skill
-Great AP/AD Ratio

Cons
-Fairly Low Health
-Fairly Low Mana
-Low Attack Speed
-Low Movement Speed
-Low Armor/Resistance

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

Notes:

11/19/10
-Guide made
-Added Menu

11/20/10
-Added item notes (supplied by users)
-Added Hexdrinker to item build section

11/21/10
-Added more questionable items
-Added more reasoning to items/rune page(s)

11/23/10
-Added more Boots
-Added more Playstyle tips
-Added/Removed items
-Added/Removed item information
----

Feel free to post! <3

liquidstardust

11-19-2010

GOOD HANDS IS 1000 times better than perserverance

Tarcus

11-19-2010

All in all, I like it. I'm glad to see more and more players straying away from the 'Irelia is a DPS champ' mentality. All in all, she functions much better as a burst/assassin/dps. Her dps is decent, but should be used as a second action to take out low hp enemies that your burst skills have already taken down.

One of the only things I want to point out is auto attacking after your Q DOESN'T use Sheen's proc. Q will activate sheens passive and ALSO use it, doubling the damage from 160 to 320. This will give your Q the ability to be hitting for around 600-700 (Without adding in armor reduction, armor penetration etc. etc)

Other than that, good guide. =) Also, the black cleaver is very useful if you have multiple melee dps users on your team. Your ult will proc the black cleaver's debuff. So you can put 4 stacks of BC's debuff on their entire team if aimed correctly, then just jump in with Q and watch the damage fly. =P

a Sejuani

11-19-2010

Quote:
Tarcus:
All in all, I like it. I'm glad to see more and more players straying away from the 'Irelia is a DPS champ' mentality. All in all, she functions much better as a burst/assassin/dps. Her dps is decent, but should be used as a second action to take out low hp enemies that your burst skills have already taken down.

One of the only things I want to point out is auto attacking after your Q DOESN'T use Sheen's proc. Q will activate sheens passive and ALSO use it, doubling the damage from 160 to 320. This will give your Q the ability to be hitting for around 600-700 (Without adding in armor reduction, armor penetration etc. etc)

Other than that, good guide. =) Also, the black cleaver is very useful if you have multiple melee dps users on your team. Your ult will proc the black cleaver's debuff. So you can put 4 stacks of BC's debuff on their entire team if aimed correctly, then just jump in with Q and watch the damage fly. =P

Noted! Thanks <3