Malphite, AP or AD?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HotsauceShoTYME

11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
I think a tanks main role is initiation.

Anyways, 3 of his spells do AOE. If you want an anti-carry, pick a champion that specializes in one-target burst damage, like Poppy.
A tanks main role is absorbing damage and removing damage from a team member. Malphite has no taunt he does not have a knockback or a fling or anything to take an enemy off one of your team mates.

Again do not use TUF to start a fight. Use it to ensure a carry dies.

malphismia

11-19-2010

Malphite does the same thing Amumu does (doesn't have a taunt/fling either). If you consider Amumu to be able to tank, You must consider Malphite the same.

Maybe that's how they use him in EU, but considering NA gamestyle works around big teamfights, Malphite works way better as a full initiator that doesn't flake after.

But I think your playstyle is good if you play more AD. Maybe I'll try it out. Whats your build?

HotsauceShoTYME

11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
Malphite does the same thing Amumu does (doesn't have a taunt/fling either). If you consider Amumu to be able to tank, You must consider Malphite the same.

Maybe that's how they use him in EU, but considering NA gamestyle works around big teamfights, Malphite works way better as a full initiator that doesn't flake after.

But I think your playstyle is good if you play more AD. Maybe I'll try it out. Whats your build?
I was using 9/21/0 with armor pen reds and quints dodge seals and resist/level glyphs:
hog
merc treads
brutal
phage
zeal
ghostblade
mallet
rand
veil if they have alot of cc/magic
aegis if no one else would get it.
Items really depended on opponent
This build countered Ezreal in his op days. Force him to burn his escape and then TUF his ass and he is done for.

I now use a more early AP build

quints marks and glyphs are magic pen and seals are mana regen.
19/0/11 for meditation.
shard brutal then focus shard and slam getting TUF when you can.
Early game just use spells so you not sitting at full mana but at lvl 3 start spamming a target with the lowest mresist with shard. Sets up for a kill and slam hits hard.
dorans ring
hog
hunting guise
sheen
rylai
rand
sunfire

VoidInsanity

11-19-2010

Neither. You want Magic Pen followed by sunfire cape followed by +attackspeed items that add magic damage to your attacks.

Items that spring to mind

+20 magic pen boots
Haunting Guise
Sunfire cape
Malady (amazing item since rmk)
Sword of the Devine
Wit's End (Manaburn is pure damage, its a brilliant item)
Bloodrazor (if you need to anti tank)

Reason is magic pen is the only way to increase the damage of all his nukes and sunfire cape. With the rise of items that give magic damage, its very viable to build him this way. Sure some of these items have +AP but its not the reason you buy them.

Puntyer

11-20-2010

hes a tank cause he has a defencive steroid he has good tanky passive(10% life shield ), a great initiation ability. and damage that scales off armor ..

i mean how many ability gotta scream tank b4 ya buy it?

so Q is a cc slow+buff
W is extra damage AND armor ressists
E is AOE damage that scales off armor + aoe speed debuff
and ult is AOE CC knock up initiation tool.

with a 10% shield passive.

if it walks like a duck its probally not a Orca.

its not that hes got bad ratios for dps its just he gains so much benifit dps wise from his basic abilitys AND stacking defencive stats.
he has relitively short cooldowns so he can stay in and bang a bit b4 retreating for shield to refresh.

hes top tier initiation and decent jungle in 5's(i prefer to jungle him myself) and naturally is a tower tank for later game dives(free armor 10% shield ect.. ect...)

on the flip side because his harrass is soooo mana intencive you might stack M regen and M pen and all that **** that just detracts from your abilitys synergy to tank

but its a game play how ya want.... GL HF DD

ZoliEsq

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-21-2010

Eh... Malphite works well as a tank but does well as a DPS or carry if you will.. I've had games going Randuin's, 2 Mallets, Tabi, Banshee's and a Thornmail and I rolled super hard. Building the armor really makes him hit hard and with the added attack damage makes him pretty unstoppable... I hate the idea that people think Malphite is a PURE tank.. he's not.. he's not and of those other ones.. so he has a lot of health... he does considerable damage too.. and if a tank can do damage and really sponge up some damage and die only 3-5 times and get 30 assits.. I hardly think that's unrespectable.

trad1323

07-14-2012

of all the times ive played malphite i usually go top building tank first with dorans shield ninja tabi sunfire then frozen heart then ill get mr with abysal septar and ap and more armor with zonyas then my last item i go with what ever i need either throns warmogs or FON or Death cap
and as far as team fights go i use him as a counter initiator so when i see 2 high damage enemys with in aoe range of my TUF i R W E Q and just someone is dead my then and i can zone the rest of them out after that to sweap up the fight. ive never had any trouble with it unless my team fed.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2012

OMG, these Junior Members....

Grats on a TWO YEAR NECRO! Well, actually 20 months but pretty close.