Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Team Siren is poorly executed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pulzar

06-05-2013

Team Siren is a recently new League of Legends team, whose member base is exclusively female. The goal behind the team is to eradicate sexism in gaming and show people that woman can be just as good of players as men (equality). While the philosophy behind this team is a solid one, it is poorly executed, and as such makes this team a terrible idea.

For starters, the team is entirely woman, with no exceptions. Having 5 women on a team without men is fine, except when it comes down to talent. Any male player could be more talented than anyone on that team, and wouldn’t have the ability to apply to the team simply because they are a male. They want to stay as a strictly female team, where only females can join them. By doing so, the team is basically saying that they wanted to be treated as equals in gaming, yet refuse to treat the opposite gender equal. It’d be like the NBA having a team that only has white males on it, and if you’re not 100% white the team won’t even consider you. It doesn’t matter how good that team would be, it would be sending a terrible message to NBA fans.

This brings up the next major problem, segregation. The team, by being all female and refusing any male players, is pushing an unexpected agenda of segregation, instead of integration. Team Siren could easily be a team of 1-4 women and 4-1 men, except this idea of an all-female team with no men at all was too intriguing for whoever created it. Instead of integrating into current teams, or creating a team that is equal, Team Siren went ahead and isolated itself from a major of the League population by creating a team that is saying it doesn’t want to deal with any men at all. As the past has shown, segregation does not lead to anything good, and after time, people had realized it was wrong. [Personally, in my opinion, I feel that the Sirens are actually doing harm toward women equality and eliminating sexism, because they’re doing such a great job of saying that woman are different from men. If they truly are trying to get rid of sexism and get women equality, they should focus on showing an initiative toward integration. I’m not saying they have to add men to their team, but if there is a better player who is male and looking for a team, they shouldn’t disregard him because he isn’t female.]

One of the last major parts is the trash talking. Everyone knows how Doubelift calls people trash, and while trash talking is good for competition, I have yet to see a single male from a pro team go to their extent. I have watched numerous scrims and solo-que games, and not once have I seen any of them have the audacity to trash talk to the point of harassment. It’s like when the Sirens come together as a team of five, a magical power overtakes them that turns them into the biggest “jerks” in the universe. I’ve watched the game of Sirens vs. OmgRankedFives (Hotshot game), and after 5 minutes into the game, I wanted to stop watching. The amount of trash talking coming from the Sirens end was abysmal. It was unreal how relentless they were. I’m not saying trash talking is bad; it's great for spicing up competition. Except, in this scenario, it could be viewed as harassment, as they are relentless in their assaults.

In conclusion, Team Siren tries to brand itself as an all-female team to remove sexism in gaming and help bring equality to the genders, yet strays far from that with its principles. By segregating themselves from any male players, the team is sending a message that both genders aren’t really equal. The “trash talking” they do could easily be interpreted as harassment, as they constantly repeat it to the point where they could be worse than the toxic players in this game.

TL;DR: If you only hate the Sirens because they're bad or females playing this game, you're a terrible person and should uninstall.

Dontkillplx

06-05-2013

Slithice the Naga Siren

Riot Frosthaven

06-05-2013

Judging by the state of the forums, I think they got exactly what they wanted.

Z3RGLING

06-05-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zparciz8Res

FredTHAreD

06-05-2013

Hello LebenEngel, thanks for reaching out to us!

Have you taken a look around General Discussion lately? There are TONS of threads about this particular subject. As a courtesy to the rest of our community we try not to split conversations up into multiple threads, so I won't be able to give in-depth answers to these questions here.

Take a look in General Discussion and contribute your voice to the existing threads!

-The Beard

JamJarsook

06-05-2013

The reason they are being made fun of is that they don't play the game as well as the top teams do, but they claim to. They are sitting in Gold (maybe plat now) as a team, and like any other gold (or plat) rated team that tries to say they they are going to win everything and "losing is unacceptable" is laughable.

Mezzolomaniac

06-05-2013

Quote:
LebenEngel:
I’ve watched the game of Sirens vs. OmgRankedFives (Hotshot game), and after 5 minutes into the game, I wanted to stop watching. The amount of trash talking coming from the Sirens end was abysmal. It was unreal how relentless they were.

I wasn't surprised in the least. They were getting queue-sniped and having the match streamed to the delight of all the people who'd been bashing them. They probably felt more than a little upset.

You just know that they're going to try and put up a tough front in the face of all the misogyny and negativity. "Look at me talk tough, I don't care what people say about us. I don't care that you're trying to disrespect us on stream in front of everyone. We can talk just as much trash as you guys."

That's what I saw in the first 5 minutes of that game.

PubME

06-05-2013

Quote:
JamJarsook:
The reason they are being made fun of is that they don't play the game as well as the top teams do, but they claim to. They are sitting in Gold (maybe plat now) as a team, and like any other gold (or plat) rated team that tries to say they they are going to win everything and "losing is unacceptable" is laughable.

So, you're laughing at every pro team in NA LCS and EU LCS? And most of the Chinese and Korean pro teams?

Everyone loses. Everyone says "this means everything" and "losing is not an option."

Curse said the same thing. TSM said the same thing. CLG said the same thing. Gambit said the same thing.

Now it's a bunch of girls starting out on their attempt to be a pro team, and they're saying it.

Welcome to life.

NannerNe

06-05-2013

The whole idea behind Team Siren is sexist as hell, and as a female player, they disgust me. Nobody with half a brain wants any of this "Girl Power" bull****. If you're so desperate to be "equal", then do it the way the guys have been doing it: get good at the game, get drafted to a good team, wreck face. Never been a difficult concept, but I guess all your brains are too busy stuffing your bras.

Garthul

06-05-2013

Quote:
PubME:
So, you're laughing at every pro team in NA LCS and EU LCS? And most of the Chinese and Korean pro teams?

Everyone loses. Everyone says "this means everything" and "losing is not an option."

Curse said the same thing. TSM said the same thing. CLG said the same thing. Gambit said the same thing.

Now it's a bunch of girls starting out on their attempt to be a pro team, and they're saying it.

Welcome to life.

But those teams could actually win at a professional level.