Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Boycot Purple side

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blitztrooper

06-03-2013

I think Riot made the map go diagonally to make the distance between the two bases as long as possible.

Postitmonkey

06-03-2013

another observation that I can see, maybe some would agree, whats the difference between going mid for both sides on summoners rift?

Cherubrad

06-03-2013

Quote:
Blitztrooper:
I think Riot made the map go diagonally to make the distance between the two bases as long as possible.

Uh... no? TT is close to the same length from one inhib to the other but with less angle buggery.

Blitztrooper

06-03-2013

Quote:
Cherubrad:
Uh... no? TT is close to the same length from one inhib to the other but with less angle buggery.

Really? Because I always assumed that was the case. Ya know, Pythagorean Theorem **** and all that stuff.

Cherubrad

06-03-2013

Quote:
Blitztrooper:
Really? Because I always assumed that was the case. Ya know, Pythagorean Theorem **** and all that stuff.

Ok, sorry I thought you meant the map distance which is what confused me. Are you talking about viewing distance? In that case, yes there is a slight increase in total viewing area.

However, I think that small added bonus is greatly outweighed by the problems associated with the camera angles.

Blitztrooper

06-03-2013

Quote:
Cherubrad:
Ok, sorry I thought you meant the map distance which is what confused me. Are you talking about viewing distance? In that case, yes there is a slight increase in total viewing area.

However, I think that small added bonus is greatly outweighed by the problems associated with the camera angles.

I think the better idea would be simply to let players have the option of making whatever side their on be viewed as the bottom-left corner.

Cherubrad

06-03-2013

Quote:
Blitztrooper:
I think the better idea would be simply to let players have the option of making whatever side their on be viewed as the bottom-left corner.

My guess is the map is only rendered from one angle. There might be some pretty heavy technical reasons preventing a camera flip.

Kalarepa

06-04-2013

I don't have any vision issues with playing on the purple side. And I still don't understand, how those screenshots make any sense, if you don't play with locked camera? I remember, I asked the same question in similar topic with the same screenshots few months ago and OP could never explain it.

Dukasho

06-04-2013

You were answered many times, just didn't accept the answer.

Fact : purple side has less view distance

What is so hard to understand? WHY is there a difference between the two sides? It's a competitive game, and one side shouldn't have to work MORE to have the SAME game experience.

Enough "don't play locked" responses that have no relevance to the topic, which is the unfairness of the camera angle.

Grombolar

06-05-2013

I've known there was a disadvantage to purple side for a long time but it's been hard to actually articulate specifically what it is but I'll try.

I've found it easiest to visualize the problem if you imagine two poke comp teams just throwing stuff at each other.

If you are on blue side you can play with a locked camera and still see all the way to the edge your vision and even further if minions are giving you vision. If you unlock the camera and move it toward purple side you can see farther and your champ is actually closer to the camera because of the camera's angle. This makes it very easy to see where you are and dodge skill shots because you are almost looking straight down on you champ.

On purple side it is the exact opposite. Playing with locked camera give you much less vision and if you unlock it and move it toward blue side you put your self in the top left corner of the screen which is the farthest point from the camera. This makes it much harder to judge distance and dodge skill shots.

http://imgur.com/a/lXInj (http://imgur.com/a/lXInj)
The third and fourth pics at this link also show the disadvantage purple side has against incoming skill shots. A Nidalee spear coming toward blue side (4th pic) is going to cover a longer distance visually and thus be easier to dodge because you will see it moving for longer. If it is going toward purple side (3rd pic) it will only be visually traveling about 60% of the distance making it much harder to judge when it will hit you.

TL;DR: screw purple side.