"Help for Galio Tanking" or "Thornmail isn't helping"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gato Muerto

11-18-2010

Galio has been my main for a while, and have had some good success with him so far, both as an off and a main tank. However recently I've noticed that thornmail hasn't quite as sufficient in order to survive. Has there been a change to it recently? When I go full tank, I've used Warmog's and Thornmail as my phys defense, and then stacked MR for the rest (helps vs Madred's and the burst casters). Past few games I've been shredded by WW (not -too- surprised, since he tends to do well vs tanks anyways), Irelia (that dang life-gain was annoying), and Master Yi.

That last one was what confused me, especially as he had only one item for life steal (I think it was Starks), no magic resists. Pretty much glass-cannon. He had half my life total and was able to just focus me down to 0% by himself. Yes, I know that I could get more armor, but that cuts into the MR needed to combat Madreds (and nukers). Was trying to put in a Randuin's to help more, but the game was over by that point.

After that game, I went back and did the numbers, and realized that one Negatron Cloak is enough to negate the problems of Thornmail for most DPS characters:
approximately 50 MR means Thornmail is only doing about 15-20% raw damage back, and with 100AR from Thornmail, you are taking about 50% damage, which means 15% LS would be about 8%LS. Throw in some other type of damage such as Madred's, and true tanks are going to need something else to survive vs a single DPS, let alone focused fire. You just live a little longer before you die.

Redenbacher

11-18-2010

I rely on Randuin's Omen for physical defense in nearly every tank build. Especially for Galio, since you've got them all clustered during you're ultimate - they're slowed from the on-hit debuff. Then, when you come out of your ult... you can pop the active, and slow them again. Not to mention, the attack speed slow is built-in defense against Madred's, in addition to your MR.

I'm no Galio player, but it sounds like a win/win to me.

Gato Muerto

11-18-2010

I'll try it next time... I went w/ Thornmail since it is the "Cheaper" ~100 AR item as well as the innate "stop hitting yourself" boost during the ult.
I seriously need to invest in some X/5 mana regen runes so I can stop buying chalice... that will help my long game. Just been investing in champs so haven't had IP to adjust my runebook from the CDR/MPen/Dodge/AP runes I collected when I first started.

CrimsonRipper

11-18-2010

Don't get thornmail unless the enemy team has more than 2 physical carries (in which get that and randuins omen and enjoy your lulz).

If you are getting it to try and synergize with your ult, then you aren't making good use of it. Get Aegis of the Legion and Randuin's omen for your Armor, it works very very well, also, that Aura makes your team that much better, Armor, MR, and Damage?! Yes.

M4nTiCoR3

11-18-2010

People always forget about Frozen Heart. Yeah Omen is great, but FH is another solid choice for roughly the same price. The aura is stronger than Omen's against a hard core physical team and is always in effect. No waiting for it on CD or forgeting to pop it in a crucial team fight.

Against a slightly less stacked team, Omen is probably better due to the HP offering some mitigation against magic as well...but agianst a hard core physical team...there are few items better than FH IMO.

GarrTorrent

11-18-2010

Yeah, honestly I'd agree with gap. If you're having problems surviving, you really, really need to evaluate the following:

1) How much magic damage do they have?(If a lot, get your god**** Force of Nature! And Spirit Visage, then Banshee's.)
2) Do I need more health instead of more damage reduction?(Again, FoN and/or Spirit Visage are good solutions to this. Spirit Visage + Bulwark + Enough MR and AP = Survivable? Hell yes.)
3) Do they have Last Whisper/Black Cleaver?(If so, you need to be more judicious about who you taunt and how long you keep your taunt down. Ideally you use up the full duration, but sometimes you may want to just pop it early to get the max 8-hit damage and then GTFO before their shred wrecks you.)
4) Do I have CDR? (If not, get Frozen Heart over Randuin's. Unless you're the only tank, you should never get Randuin's. It's better used on Rammus or Amumu, IMO. Also Frozen Heart will cause your ulti to basically do the same thing, IIRC.)

CrimsonRipper

11-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrTorrent View Post
Yeah, honestly I'd agree with gap. If you're having problems surviving, you really, really need to evaluate the following:

1) How much magic damage do they have?(If a lot, get your god**** Force of Nature! And Spirit Visage, then Banshee's.)
2) Do I need more health instead of more damage reduction?(Again, FoN and/or Spirit Visage are good solutions to this. Spirit Visage + Bulwark + Enough MR and AP = Survivable? Hell yes.)
3) Do they have Last Whisper/Black Cleaver?(If so, you need to be more judicious about who you taunt and how long you keep your taunt down. Ideally you use up the full duration, but sometimes you may want to just pop it early to get the max 8-hit damage and then GTFO before their shred wrecks you.)
4) Do I have CDR? (If not, get Frozen Heart over Randuin's. Unless you're the only tank, you should never get Randuin's. It's better used on Rammus or Amumu, IMO. Also Frozen Heart will cause your ulti to basically do the same thing, IIRC.)
1) I would only consider Visage if I'm vlad or mundo, or if I have strong healing on my team. Get Abbysal Scepter instead, you're getting so much out of that for Galio, AP, MR, and MR reduction aura! Yes.

2) Aegis of the Legion and Banshees seem to suffice for me, if not get some HP Quints.

3) This is where Frozen Heart/Omen comes in. But overall yeah this is a good point.

4) True. But I've actually managed well enough with little CDR.

Gunflame

11-18-2010

galio? against physical DPS team it is so easy.

- Chalice
- ninja Boots
- Catalyst -> Banshee's Veil
- Glacial Shroud -> Frozen hearth
- Randuims Omen
- Guardian Angel
- Aegis/thormail

I dont see the use of Thornmail in galio unless it is your last item.

against magic
- Chalice
- mercury Boots
- Abyssal Scepter
- Guardian Angel
- Aegis/Force of nature

Against a balanced team
- Chalice
- Boots (ninja or mercury)
- Guardian Angel
- Aegis
- Frozen hearth/randuims/abyssal Scepter/force of nature (situational which to pick)

Slinger O Guns

11-18-2010

Best build for Galio I've found (I've been playing him since release as my main tank)

Chalice of Harmony
Merc Treads
Banshee's Veil
Randuins Omen (If they're a heavy magic team then Force of Nature)
Guardian Angel
Frozen Heart

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2010

I use this tanking galio guide: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-galio-guide

pretty standard with everything being said in this thread