Varus counters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ADAMScuh

05-30-2013

Who is the best ADC to counter varus???

Martyrofsand

05-30-2013

Someone with longer range, see Caitlyn.

Irish Red Cap

05-30-2013

Varus counters Caitlyn actually. Someone who can hit extremely hard is a counter to Varus, try MF or Draven. If you catch him trying to load up his Q you can knock out a good bit of HP and make him retreat or regret playing aggressively. Also Varus has no natural escapes so if your support counter wards effectively he is pretty easy to gank and shut down.

Nasus AU

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Red Cap View Post
Draven
/thread

Thief of Space

05-30-2013

I've seen MF do very well vs Varus, but I don't have MF so I have to clue if she is really good vs Varus.

I can't take Riot seriously anymore when they nerfed his movespeed.

Krosan

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief of Space View Post
I've seen MF do very well vs Varus, but I don't have MF so I have to clue if she is really good vs Varus.

I can't take Riot seriously anymore when they nerfed his movespeed.
Varus's movespeed was unusually high for an AD. Presumably he got the extra because it was felt he needed it; the fact that he was utterly dominating the EU circuit indicates that maybe he kinda didn't. His attack range is also a bit higher than average, too, for what it's worth; the only AD carry with higher base attack range is actually Ashe outside of the handful that can extend their autoattack range.

Varus wins in poking contests and wins most short trades. MF's attack+Double Up double tap combo, or a Spinning Axe or two, are two trades he doesn't win, which is why those two champions give him trouble. They're also very mobile, which makes it tough for him to snipe with Q or save E to trigger blight stacks.

I've found that an aggressive support like Leona or Thresh can also be very dangerous for him if his own support isn't able to keep vision control in the lane. He can't disengage effectively.

A fast jungle ganker is also pretty dangerous; Hecarim or Rammus or maybe Zac. Someone who can't run him down as effectively is much less of a threat and runs the risk of getting torn to pieces trying to close with him.

Martyrofsand

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Red Cap View Post
Varus counters Caitlyn actually. Someone who can hit extremely hard is a counter to Varus, try MF or Draven. If you catch him trying to load up his Q you can knock out a good bit of HP and make him retreat or regret playing aggressively. Also Varus has no natural escapes so if your support counter wards effectively he is pretty easy to gank and shut down.

MF maybe, but the only way Draven beats Varus is if Draven's support is some kind of awesome. Varus has more range than Draven, can slow him with his E to make catching axes difficult and in general trade with Draven outside of dravens range to trade back.

Assuming equal skill Varus should never lose to Draven.

CerealBoxOfDoom

05-30-2013

ahri

Baughwssery

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredMesa View Post
MF maybe, but the only way Draven beats Varus is if Draven's support is some kind of awesome. Varus has more range than Draven, can slow him with his E to make catching axes difficult and in general trade with Draven outside of dravens range to trade back.

he beats him by 25 range, calm down

Irish Red Cap

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredMesa View Post

Draven can interrupt Varus' Q with his E though. And since they patched in the "fixes" to Varus' kit to make more of his power come from his charged Q rather than his Hail of Arrows it gave Draven a good kick in the fight against him. Also 1 axe from Draven is equal to 2-3 of Varus' AAs.