Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Aatrox no counter play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsar14

05-29-2013

A lot of people seem to be complaining about Aatrox's abilities providing no counter play, something I find strange since he seems to be the champion with the most counter play this year.

Passive: The complaint seems to be that because he is untargetable while he revives there is nothing you can do against him. But this is forgetting that his revive based on his blood pool which must be built up and decays out of combat. The counter to Aatrox's revive in lane is to minimize how much he can build his pool by harassing/zoning him from minions. Without a significant blood pool his revive is extremely weak. It is arguable that his pool is too easy to stack, but this is a numbers issue that can be adjusted over time when he sees more competitive play.

Q: His Q is strong but the significant animation time allows ample time for the target to dodge out of knockup zone.

W: I'm actually surprised how much people complain about the sustain on this ability. The sustain is obviously very good when Aatrox is below 50%, but being in lane as a melee champion anywhere near minions/champions under half hp is an extremely vulnerable position. Countering the Aatrox's sustain is simply a matter of timing your all-ins to punish him for putting himself vulnerable positions trying to gain back hp.

E: I actually think this ability is too good, not sure why they increased the range or gave it such good scaling, neither were really necessary in my opinion. However this abilitiy is really only useful to give Aatrox sticking power. The width of the skill shot decays rapidly towards the edge of its range making it fairly easy to dodge when he tries to use it to harass you, but is nearly impossible to dodge when hes on top of you. If an Aatrox tries using it to harass, you can engage usually forcing him to Q away, which due to his health costs means he just took 15% of his current hp + whatever damage you manage to deal.

R: This is just your standard steroid ulti that fits the character fairly well. As usual the idea is to avoid engagements when Aatrox pops his ulti if possible, similar to Renekton in lane.

Overall Aatrox is likely too powerful right now, but its due to how much they've recently buffed his numbers, not his kit being un-counterable. However its really hard to say right now because PBE is notorious for unbalanced matches. As usual we'll get a better idea of his actual power on release, with adjustments made the following patch.

Darklarik

05-29-2013

As far as ive seen there are just bruisers dat beat him straight forwardly. I defenitely dont think he is overpowered.

Your also talking about a champion who has been out for like 2 weeks. so yah. Shush

Vhaegor

05-29-2013

Everything about about him is balanced imo apart from his Ult, it needs to be buffed/changed and there are so many cool ways they could do it, like him stealing stats from enemys or a big AoE boost to himself while giving some to his allies, but right now it's just boring, weak and I really hope they change it.

Tsar14

05-29-2013

Quote:
Darklarik:
As far as ive seen there are just bruisers dat beat him straight forwardly. I defenitely dont think he is overpowered.

Your also talking about a champion who has been out for like 2 weeks. so yah. Shush

Uhhh ya, that's what I'm saying the whole post is about how there's ways to counter all his strengths so he's not overpowered...

Arc insanity

05-29-2013

Aatrox is ok right now his E scaling with AD is a little silly IMO.

If they buff his ult or his base stats he will dominate the world, but as of right now he isnt too strong or too weak. he is weak enough early - mid game to justify his late game super power.

Vhaegor

05-29-2013

Hes actually not that good in Late game anymore because of how much they nerfed his ult

Swordplay

05-30-2013

A quick note: you have to be able to zone Aatrox out pretty hard in order to deny Blood Well; if you take damage from harass that resets the timer for being in combat, which will sustain Blood Well. You need to zone him so far that he is afraid to even take damage.

KyroRayne

Recruiter

05-30-2013

Trundle completely counters Aatrox to such a hilarious extent post 6, that the person I was testing against nearly rage quit after I won every fight, even with low HP. Jax counters Aatrox as well.

Pantheon also would be a decent counter with the proper build.

DoomScar

05-30-2013

Quote:
Darklarik:

"Hey, this champion has been up for 2 weeks of testing. People shouldn't give feedback anymore even though he's constantly being changed."

That's such a dick-ish thing to say.