Legitimate Tutorial Ideas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tuba

05-29-2013

Greetings!

Some basic problems that I aim to solve:

1. The current tutorial is lacking.
  2. The current new-player environment is lacking.
  3. There are too many things for a new player to spend IP on.

Here are some solutions that I have come up with:

First, we need a tutorial system with multiple tiers.

I get the feeling that Riot does not want to teach the current meta in their tutorial system. This is completely understandable for a few reasons. First, the meta is different in different servers. Also, if one were to teach the current meta in the tutorial system, it would potentially stifle creativity.

That being said, a multi-tiered tutorial system should include a basic run-down on different types of champions. The champion categories that Riot uses are: pusher, jungler, support, assassin, ranged, stealth, recommended, mage, carry, tank, fighter, melee.

Tier 1 of the tutorial system would have a chapter for each of these categories. A voice-over could supply the new player with basic facts about each category, and the player would get a chance to try many more champions than in the current tutorial.

Tier 2 of the tutorial system could cover items. Different champions could be presented and the player could get a chance to buy the item, and try the item out on some minions/a bot. It would be great if the player could change the item they bought after a minute or so of combat, so they could see how different items impact their champion. Basic tutorials for active items could be provided as a second chapter in this tier.

Tier 3 of the tutorial system could cover objectives. This would range from jungle objectives (buffs), to dragon/Baron, to turrets and inhibitors.

Tier 4 of the tutorial system could cover other maps. A brief ARAM, TT, and Dominion tutorial could show new players there are lots of ways to level up to 30.

Secondly, small rewards should be given to players who complete these tutorials.

There are a few basic ways this could work. New players could receive each of the 450 IP champions for completing different sections of the tutorials. There are currently 11 champions priced at 450 IP, which would eliminate 4950 IP that a new player would have to save up for.

Another option would be that new players could receive a Tier 1 Rune set for completing different sections of the tutorial. Currently a new player would prioritize buying new champions over buying weak runes that would just have to be replaced. By supplying these runes new players would have a slightly better chance of being able to jungle or lane more effectively.

A final option would be to give new players level boosts for completing the different sections of the tutorial. Perhaps when you finish all the tutorials you would automatically become level 4, or 5.

In summation, there are lots of options that Riot could pursue if they wanted to improve their tutorial system. This is essential for the well-being of their company and game. If new players are not enjoying the beginning of the leveling system, they will not continue playing the game.

If a Riot employee reads this, I'd like to know a few things:
  1. Is this kind of thought process being pursued within Riot?
  2. If not, how can I apply for a job that would allow me to be the one who heads/helps with this project?

SixCess

05-29-2013

nice

Tuba

05-29-2013

I'm actually an elementary teacher, so the concept of starting someone out with a basic set of information is near to my heart.

Lawloh

05-29-2013

I support this

Driec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-29-2013

What about a tutorial system that groups you with other players learning the game i.e. have them take dragon or baron together, or give them a tanky bot character to go up against

Technic235

05-30-2013

I like the tier one rune set idea but Im against giving them free champs or IP. As an older player, I dont want to feel like newer accounts are getting an advantage I never had. 450 points is like 7 wins (not counting win of the day). How is that fair?

Tuba

05-30-2013

Theoretically there are dozens more champions now than there were when you started the game. This means there are 10's of thousands of more IP points to spend. I think subtracting 4,950 IP from this huge pool is fair.

Nanakí

05-30-2013

I started 2 years ago and I still don't own all the champions ; I don't see the issue with giving 450 IP champs to newbies LOL Technic you are pretty greedy, besides all youd have to do is go complete the tutorial on your level 30 and bam free champs. SO MUCH EFFOOOOOORRRTTT

Tuba

05-30-2013

Agreed, Nanaki. My account was created during the Beta and I still am missing more than a dozen champions and many runes.

However, I would like to note that this is not the entire point of this post. The real point is to give new players more toys and most importantly more information. This is an important hook for new players.

Tuba

05-31-2013

Going to bump, because I think this is important.