Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So today Sona reached 70,87% win rate in ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cherubrad

05-26-2013

My hypothesis:
Low skill cap: Her only skillshot is her ult which has a fairly wide area of effect and is incredibly easy to land.
Great Harass: The damage output on her Q is pretty decent (2x 0.7AP + decent base damage). Combine that with the fact she can mindlessly spam it every few seconds and pick up some easy kills
Infinite sustain: Since mana isn't much of an issue between Chalice + map bonuses, Sona can just hit QWE all day long.
Often overlooked: Since Sona can easily position herself at the back and still contribute to the team she's often neglected during team fights.
Aura's: Her auras / effects are pretty much always in range and she's guaranteed assist gold.

FDru

05-26-2013

Quote:
EndlessHelix:
This is a bit disingenuous- you're not a pro, or in Challenger or Diamond, you don't get to make those sorts of statements. You're one of the 90%, just like me.

It's rare that you'll ever get the champions you've mastered in this mode, assuming you've unlocked 20 or more characters. Sona's relatively low bar for the minimum mechanics required to make her useful is a selling point for her, not a knock against the player base. If you look across the top 15, it's pretty clear that spammable sustain is one of the strongest abilities to have, and Sona's heal is about as spammy as it gets. Crescendo is arguably one of the highest impact ultimates for team fighting available.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read. I've never played a ranked game in my life, but that has nothing to do with my skill on Howling Abyss, and frankly, it says nothing about my skill on SR either (by the way, my normal elo was over 2100 when I quit SR, you know what that is? Top .5%). Furthermore, what happens when you play this map like SR? You lose. Most high ranked SR players I have seen on this map turret hug and slowly lose because that's what they've been trained to do. SR mechanical skills simply don't make up for ignorance of map-specific strategy (you should see "pro" SR players try to collect Dominion tournament prizes, they fail so spectacularly it would definitely blow your mind).

Anyway, it's perfectly accurate to say that 90% of LoL is bad, because that's just the way it is with a community as large as LoL's. This is not a hardcore PvP game, it's extremely, incredibly casual and most players simply do not care about getting better. This is nothing but the facts.

It is also widely known fact that Sona is one of the easiest, (if not the easiest) champions in the game. If it weren't for that fact, she would not have a ridiculously high win rate because bad players wouldn't be able to faceroll win. And nobody ever said her kit wasn't good in the first place. It's the fact that it's good coupled with the fact that she's piss-easy that makes her so ridiculous.

tl;dr: She is an OP champ, but she is not the most OP champ. She just happens to be the easiest of the OP champs.

EndlessHelix

05-26-2013

Quote:
FDru:
This is the stupidest thing I've ever read. I've never played a ranked game in my life, but that has nothing to do with my skill on Howling Abyss, and frankly, it says nothing about my skill on SR either (by the way, my normal elo was over 2100 when I quit SR, you know what that is? Top .5%). Furthermore, what happens when you play this map like SR? You lose. Most high ranked SR players I have seen on this map turret hug and slowly lose because that's what they've been trained to do. SR mechanical skills simply don't make up for ignorance of map-specific strategy (you should see "pro" SR players try to collect Dominion tournament prizes, they fail so spectacularly it would definitely blow your mind).

Okay, I looked you up on Lolking- you were never 2100. You stopped playing ranked in season 1. Chill. You've got experience, I respect that as someone who started in the end of season 2, but you don't need to lie about it. I don't do ranked- It's something I like to appreciate from a distance and ARAMS are too fun.

Also, I've seen enough pro players fail on Dominion super hard to know what your talking about- probably because the mode's strategy is completely different than Summoners Rift, whereas Howling Abyss is essentially just a slice of the same map with a fraction of the strategy. Most pro players do quite well on HA simply because their mechanics are super solid on a wide variety of champions- compared to us mere mortals.

Quote:
FDru:

Anyway, it's perfectly accurate to say that 90% of LoL is bad, because that's just the way it is with a community as large as LoL's. This is not a hardcore PvP game, it's extremely, incredibly casual and most players simply do not care about getting better. This is nothing but the facts.

No, it really isn't. Most players would love to get better- but do have other priorities. School, Job, etc. etc. It depends on what people you play against though. ARAMS are arguably the most casual mode available in all of LoL, I run into ragers all the time in Queue, and we still get a ton of requests for "Ranked ARAMS." So there's a pretty competitive streak in League's fan base somewhere.

Quote:
FDru:

It is also widely known fact that Sona is one of the easiest, (if not the easiest) champions in the game. If it weren't for that fact, she would not have a ridiculously high win rate because bad players wouldn't be able to faceroll win. And nobody ever said her kit wasn't good in the first place. It's the fact that it's good coupled with the fact that she's piss-easy that makes her so ridiculous.

tl;dr: She is an OP champ, but she is not the most OP champ. She just happens to be the easiest of the OP champs.

Fair enough, but I'd still say she's up there among the OP's. Her only major weakness is that she's not a strong pusher. Good positioning and a little Itemization will fix most of her flaws, but not that. Also, Caitlyn is easier, speaking as a bigger noob than you.

Zalenoth

05-26-2013

Sona cna turn the tides man.. It's the constant heals that take away from all that poke. What i've noticed i never ever ever get taric anymore. He's pretty BA in aram too.

W3rDGotMilk

05-26-2013

By far the most entertaining AND frustrating thing in HA is watching people apply the SR mechanics/mentality/strategy to it. I can't think of a good reason that you would ever leave a person alive in SR (there might be some, i hate that map and dont play it) where as there's just as much reason to let a person live in HA as there is to kill someone. Too many people want to get high kill counts over winning the game.

To anyone still reading, its good to let a person live with low health after having lost a team fight because they cant recall or heal very well so the next team fight will have an advantage for you, health and item wise. Also if you were the first to spawn after a lost team fight (meaning you were first to die in the previous fight so you might be a durr) you shouldn't go try to 1v4 them and snipe all the kills. Wait for your team to spawn so when you walk all over them you can push objectives.

I need a way to condense that explanation and copy paste it before every game.

EndlessHelix

05-26-2013

Quote:
W3rDGotMilk:
By far the most entertaining AND frustrating thing in HA is watching people apply the SR mechanics/mentality/strategy to it. I can't think of a good reason that you would ever leave a person alive in SR (there might be some, i hate that map and dont play it) where as there's just as much reason to let a person live in HA as there is to kill someone. Too many people want to get high kill counts over winning the game.

To anyone still reading, its good to let a person live with low health after having lost a team fight because they cant recall or heal very well so the next team fight will have an advantage for you, health and item wise. Also if you were the first to spawn after a lost team fight (meaning you were first to die in the previous fight so you might be a durr) you shouldn't go try to 1v4 them and snipe all the kills. Wait for your team to spawn so when you walk all over them you can push objectives.

It is good advice, but situational. It depends on the champion you leave alive. If you leave a tank or a bruiser at low health- the vast amount of their utility is gone until they die and respawn. If you leave a sustained DPS champ with a shred of HP, they've still got a fair amount of utility. If you leave a CC bot or a burst caster alive, they retain a lot of their power. And obviously, if you leave a healer alive at 1 hp, it won't stay that way for long.

Raptor851

05-26-2013

Quote:
Runeholtz:
If you think Sona is OP, try playing a game where Sona and Soraka are on the same team. MWAHAHAHA!

Once before the new HA map our team rolled Sona/Soraka/Janna/Nami and Ashe, it was absolutely amazing, we all built "support" for ashe and had near infinite sustain and were able to basicly just push straight into their base and win by 10 minutes, that ashe had to have had like the best game ever as she never died the entire game, lol

Kalarepa

05-26-2013

Quote:
W3rDGotMilk:

That's true and you should leave low HP enemies alone in most cases.... unless the enemies have strong healer, like Sona. She counters even that. Leave the enemy with low HP and he will return with full few moments later.

Telitha

05-27-2013

Sona dominates because of the map bonuses. Passive mana regen is heavily increased and therefore Sona becomes full spammable heal and harass right out of the gate and will full charge a tear easily allowing for archangel staff/seraph's embrace to do extremely well. Stack AP and the Q hurts and the W keeps your team very healthy.

If you draw Sona in ARAM and you stop spamming at any time for any reason other than being dead, you're doing it wrong.

Qutse

05-28-2013

It is very difficult to effectively untangle ease of playing a champ and effectiveness on ARAM. I think one thing in Sona's favor is almost anyone can play her effectively, and she is highly effective in ARAM. So there may be champs just as good as her, but there may not be champs just as good as her that as easy to not mess up.

Also, when considering win rate consider any champs that have been on free week this month will be pulled down slightly from ones that were not free.