Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Lyte and StatusKwoh talk about Player Behaviour at MIT

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrivateBaldric

05-25-2013

If I were here all day every day I could tell you. Feel free to continue to make things up if it helps you deal with day to day life. I don't want you to take too big a shock to your system by dispelling all your illusions at once.

Allow me the pleasure of asking you something in return. How low must your self esteem be that you CAN'T walk away from a game that annoys you this much? I mean you are so amazingly alpha that it shouldn't be an issue and yet it persists. As a an exec at JP Morgan you should be able to see a bad investment and walk away. Yet here you remain.

I do feel honored that you are so obsessed with my identity that you think you will be able to find out without my help. It is a little creepy. If i didn't know any better it would look like you are trying to ask me out but are too afraid. Feel free though. Go ahead and 'find out'.

For the record you do not have to keep hiding. The sooner you can accept yourself the sooner we can help.

AFK in lol ftw

05-25-2013

Getting back on track:
Thanks for the vid, link and post.
Great find!

Stratostheory

05-25-2013

I'd say the toxic posts already here should simply be deleted by a moderator and this thread should be stickied and locked, thank you Ross if I had known about this at the time I would have actually tried to attend and very considerate of you to include a text document for the hearing impaired, The internet is your's for the next 24 hours, use it for the greater good.

YueienGato

05-25-2013

Actually, I think the response here is classic of people being told to go cold turkey or being rejected by a social group: it ranges from apologetic to outright anger and projections of blame onto others.

Same sort of behaviour one encounters with gambling addicts being denied their outlet: one never just bows out in peace.

powerbats

05-25-2013

The funny thing is he's addicted to trying to prove himself superior than us so he'll posting on his main and smurfs making a complete fool of himself in the process but he'll sure show us who's smarter.

In the meantime I'll play some league on my non permad/non banned account who else wants to join in the rage free fest?

Inb4 he posts some more rage, grabs popcorn and beer or was it just beer? Hard to decide what's better for the foot in mouth show he's going to provide.

YueienGato

05-25-2013

Quote:
powerbats:
The funny thing is he's addicted to trying to prove himself superior than us so he'll posting on his main and smurfs making a complete fool of himself in the process but he'll sure show us who's smarter.

In the meantime I'll play some league on my non permad/non banned account who else wants to join in the rage free fest?

Inb4 he posts some more rage, grabs popcorn and beer or was it just beer? Hard to decide what's better for the foot in mouth show he's going to provide.

Common response from gambling addicts is that they can control it (let me back) or that everyone else has it worse (blaming others for their lack of control/behaviour).

Gambling as an activity is in itself not bad: it is the small percentage who lack the self control or introspective perspective at understanding their own actions are harmful to themselves and others that make the biggest fuss.

As I've said, the Tribunal is an interesting experiment in the industry: closest I've seen is a gaming addiction clinic that popped up in Toronto a few years back cause of World of Warcraft. There is a lot to be researched here that, hopefully, the right researchers can have access to.

powerbats

05-25-2013

WOW/SC addiction is extremely bad in Korea/Japan so in a sense it's similar to gambling, Alcohol etc addictions.

Zezune

05-25-2013

This data is coming from a company whose stance on giving us report cards and information on our cases was that it was not necessary because "We know what we did".

When one can go 4 to 8 / 10 games with a troll or rager of some sort on a consistent basis and your community is widely regarded as horrible...you do not get to state that "1%" are toxic players as if its something to be proud of or even correct.

That 1% simply means the rest of the players are not getting caught.

Aylywyn

05-25-2013

Quote:
Zezune:
When one can go 4 to 8 / 10 games with a troll or rager of some sort...

You did see the fact that 77% of the "bad" behaviour comes from the 78% of the Community that is "good", right? In the one out of 50 to 100 games they exhibit "bad" behaviour.

Add that to the fact there is 23% more "badness" around and 10 people per Game AND, here's the kicker, that it is almost guaranteed there is one person (not pointing any fingers... you just happen to be in that direction...) who will "help" anything blow-up into a problem...

And, yeah, YOU might see 40-80% of games as negative.

Trust me. Not everyone does though. Their games are missing at least one significant factor...

YueienGato

05-25-2013

Quote:
powerbats:
WOW/SC addiction is extremely bad in Korea/Japan so in a sense it's similar to gambling, Alcohol etc addictions.

Yeah, add to that the allure of eSports grandeur and you have yourself a destitute class of burn outs in their mid 20s/late 30s. These 'has-beens' are the lower-middle range of people who bet everything on their ability to play well and lost.

Course you hear about those 72 hour of computer gaming binges and the subsequent death of folks over there, but these eSport gamer burn outs are something that not a lot of people have bothered to investigate in the West. Tons are panhandlers - others become scrimmage partners for more established eSports players. I dunno, but the delusion that they are in control of their future (Just need to keep trying and make my big break) eerily reminds me of this place, at times.

Like any aspect of human existence, we can make a temple out of any activity, I guess. When the security of that activity is threatened by others, we often react negatively and aggressively to preserve our "rights" to enjoy/participate. In some ways I think the existence of this forum reinforces this delusional behaviour more than it helps.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy it when I can actually help steer someone who wants to listen out of troubled waters, but most of the people who come here will defend to their death their right to drown. Then again, when treating addiction (in this case preserving the right to be a jerk without societal repercussions) in any form there is often unsatisfactory levels of success.

/shrug, dunno, I guess as my time here on this forum ends I am musing over the fact that human behaviour is like a rock: you can yell at it, let the rain break against it and it won't change; gotta chip at it, patiently with effort, in order to affect change. The advantages of the internet are many, but in this case this medium needs a more precise method for communicating strategies / rhetoric for reforming behaviour.

I know that most f the time people who show up here have no reason to listen or change - like addicts who claim that what they are doing doesn't hurt them or anyone else. Then again, the forum method doesn't really offer that many chances for reforming because it is, inherently, an indifferent and detached medium - it is, in some ways, only effect for those few who know they have a problem / at their end's wit and wanting to change.
The restricted chat is, in some ways, a light form of an "intervention" let's say for addressing behaviour / reformative activity.

I don't know: I ain't trained in psychological / cognitive behaviour. I ain't even sure if I would address being a jerk a disorder (I'll leave that up to others in the field) but gaming, as an aspect that touches upon human reality, does have a societal cost. I wonder if it is better to suffer these costs in-game so as to spare the harsher penalties in reality.

Cause on a surface level, Lyte is saying that the Tribunal is to address in-game issues; but on a deeper level, I have to wonder if he is trying to address some issues that the guilty party is bringing into the game from his or her life? Sure, we can perma bamp folks through a tiered structure, but does the Tribunal have a greater societal affect? We're taught to not push or punch strangers for little-to-no reason because there are consequences; can this be replicated in an online environment, where consequence often doesn't exist in this new Wild West?

I suppose there is no clear answer to my question of the Tribunal being an experiment, overall, in terms of regulating online behaviour - I may never know. I just hope that this project continues, despite the protests and complaints of the guilty, because there are other benefits from this that can be applied tosocietal, economical, marketing, and design fields.

Or maybe I am tired.

Yes, let's say I am tired: Damn you Shanghai time.