Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Varus is possibly the best poke in ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MisterKaras

05-23-2013

xerath is stronger but varus is one of my top 6

yi
xerath
varus
lux
jayce
nid

in order of op, as you can see, most of them are able to spam "nid spear" type abilites, but only nid is single target, the rest are all op

Elalya

05-23-2013

Quote:
not my Vanus:
Varus is my main, I have played hundreds upon hundreds of games with him. in all of these games I maxed Q always. I'm pretty used to the strategy by now, enough to realize he is not supposed to be another Nidalee running around teams and poking all the time. you don't stack CDR and mana on him, that's ridiculous. you do not want arp if you plan to dominate with your Q. so, want to know the secret?

2 x BF Sword

you can thank me later

Even if you don't like the build he posted, 2 BF swords will never be superior to pretty much... anything.

Mightyal

05-24-2013

No ADC beats me when I play Ashe.

Zezune

05-24-2013

Quote:
Zaels:
i've got close to 300 aram games played and haven't seen a single varus build like this at all

Because most varus players realize his poke damage doesn't scale well.

Its great early game to invest in his poke, but it needs to transition into late game unless you win early....which means a standard adc build.

Zezune

05-24-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
Yep, Varus is NASTY! I started Tear to Manamune, Brutalizer, Ionic Boots, Last Whisper. However, he doesnt charge tear THAT fast and doesnt need that much mana (unless you are also spewing your AoE vs shorter range enemy comps). Plus manamune doesnt combo with any of his other items (no other mana items), and Q/E wont proc Murumana.
So Ive been looking for an alternative to the Tear.

Philo isnt bad and gives me gold over time. Kind of nerfs you early on though and you dont need the HP5.

A sapphire gives you 8 MP5 pretty much and is likely sufficient for Q spam, but no idea what to build it into. Maybe you just leave it as is and sell it way late game, or build to a Catalyst/Banshee to avoid getting initiated on by Amumu,etc.

I am also considering Mana Manipulator. Helps the whole team and seems better as a dead end item than Sapphire. Unsure if it gives enough MP5 though.

And finally, using yellow runes for MP5 is a possibility too.

The nice thing about Varus is that he hits almost as hard as Nidalee, though with half the fire rate. But, he continues to get better as time goes on, vs Nid who falls off.

Meanwhile.....the real adc on the enemy team is critting 40% of the time for 700s.

Zaels

05-24-2013

Quote:
Zezune:
Because most varus players realize his poke damage doesn't scale well.

Its great early game to invest in his poke, but it needs to transition into late game unless you win early....which means a standard adc build.

When and if lategame actually hits, I transition him into an ADC build anyway.

EndlessHelix

05-24-2013

Wait, isn't it way more item efficient to just build him with BoRK, Last Whisper, and Sanguine for survivability? My experience with him is that the more survivability he has, the better he does.

Zaels

05-24-2013

not hard to survive when most of your damage comes from 1000+ range

EndlessHelix

05-24-2013

But in telegraphed, 6-12 second intervals? Really? Thats... a questionable rate of DPS.

Warrrrax

05-24-2013

Quote:
Zezune:
Meanwhile.....the real adc on the enemy team is critting 40% of the time for 700s.

You mean the ADC who gets jumped on by Xin/Irelia/Jax/every other jumper in the entire game?
ADCs don't really shine until WAY late game when their autoattack damage scales really hard. Even then, only if you have some great tankage or stupid enemies.

You know you can always upgrade that Brutalizer to a Ghostblade, get Inf Edge and perform quite well as a lategame ADC.
He gets 20/40% AS boost from passive, 40% AS from ghostblade for 6 seconds. (its not 2 seconds for ranged like it used to be).
Hes already got very high AD and armor pen.
Inf Edge+ghostblade gives 40% crit chance with the 250% crit booster.
His Blight adds some magical onhit damage and the %maxHP damage too.

He won't be AS GOOD as a pure IE/PD/PD build, but he will be WAY WAY more useful during all of the early,mid game, and still have a very strong poke lategame.