Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Varus is possibly the best poke in ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaels

05-23-2013

As a special treat for free Varus week, I'll share an alternate build for Varus that'll have your opponents whining in no time. I don't build him like a typical ADC, and more like an AD caster. Most people build him like an ADC and sometimes I'll wonder why they'd do that and give up possibly much better options. IMO this build puts Varus as easily one of the top tier champions in ARAM.

Runes: ArPen red, Armor or Mana Regen yellows, CDR blues, ArPen or AD quints
Masteries: 21/0/9

Start: Pickaxe, Sapphire Crystal, 2 pots. You want this start so you'll have the mana pool to use Q everytime it's off cooldown and the extra AD from Pickaxe helps a lot.

Core: Last Whisper, Brutalizer, Ionian Boots of Lucidity.

You wanna get these three items ASAP. After getting those three, you can build whatever. You can get some attack speed if you want high DPS from your auto attacks if you ever need to use them, or maximize AD for more poke damage. I personally like to get Zephyr for more CDR/movespeed.

Why this build?

- His Piercing Arrow has extremely long range, and can pierce through anything. That means no hiding behind minions, although minions will still reduce the damage.
- His Piercing Arrow moves really fast compared to other long range skillshots and a lot harder to dodge than a Nidalee spear.
- Riot JUST buffed his Q (after nerfing his E) so it does even higher damage than before. It was high enough to begin with and scales very well with AD
- With the CDR, at rank 5 your Piercing Arrow has like a 4-5s cooldown so your poke becomes extremely spammable.

Proof? I highlighted a game from my stream here if anyone wants to see the build in action. Most Varus games I play end up like that.

http://www.twitch.tv/lilzael/c/2322335

FDru

05-23-2013

Hmm, for some reason I always thought piercing arrow was magic damage. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Youniverse

05-23-2013

true terror build. You'll be happy to know that I will have cursed you and your mother for the entire game if you play like this.

Warrrrax

05-23-2013

Yep, Varus is NASTY! I started Tear to Manamune, Brutalizer, Ionic Boots, Last Whisper. However, he doesnt charge tear THAT fast and doesnt need that much mana (unless you are also spewing your AoE vs shorter range enemy comps). Plus manamune doesnt combo with any of his other items (no other mana items), and Q/E wont proc Murumana.
So Ive been looking for an alternative to the Tear.

Philo isnt bad and gives me gold over time. Kind of nerfs you early on though and you dont need the HP5.

A sapphire gives you 8 MP5 pretty much and is likely sufficient for Q spam, but no idea what to build it into. Maybe you just leave it as is and sell it way late game, or build to a Catalyst/Banshee to avoid getting initiated on by Amumu,etc.

I am also considering Mana Manipulator. Helps the whole team and seems better as a dead end item than Sapphire. Unsure if it gives enough MP5 though.

And finally, using yellow runes for MP5 is a possibility too.

The nice thing about Varus is that he hits almost as hard as Nidalee, though with half the fire rate. But, he continues to get better as time goes on, vs Nid who falls off.

Kholdstare13

05-23-2013

I play ARAM Varus as a hybrid. I start out with all of my flat AD items for early game poke, usually a pickaxe and sanguine. I then grab my defensive item(s), since it IS ARAM. I finish off with Hurricane, Kitae, and Nashor's Tooth for that huge late-game hybrid teamfight damage.

Poke is amazing early game, hence the rush of AD

Late game you generally get tightly grouped teamfights. Hurricane spreads blight and kitae procs, then you are open to throw a Q, E, or even R to AoE detonate that blight for massive hybrid burst damage. If you have never tried a hybrid Varus, instead of downvoting do yourself a favor and try him. The early AD rush does help you to gain the poke advantage for your team, but poke becomes worthless once teams get tanky.

Mightyal

05-23-2013

I thought this was already common knowledge back in Proving Grounds.

Zaels

05-23-2013

i've got close to 300 aram games played and haven't seen a single varus build like this at all

Mightyal

05-23-2013

I meant that him being one of the top 3 (if not first) pokes in the game with your build or not.

Eddy01741

05-23-2013

Varus is top tier ADC easily. His poke Q is like Sivir's boomerang blade on steroids (similar range, faster projectile, more damage most of the time (since most people don't get hit twice by sivir's boomerang)).

Plus he has an multi target root for an ultimate and respectable auto attack range. You can play him as an AD caster all early game (brutalizer, last whisper, etc.) then transition to an ADC when you rack up the gold from kills.

Kalarepa

05-23-2013

Quote:
Eddy01741:
Varus is top tier ADC easily. His poke Q is like Sivir's boomerang blade on steroids (similar range, faster projectile, more damage most of the time (since most people don't get hit twice by sivir's boomerang)).

Let's not go too far with that, Varus's Q damage isn't even close to double boomerang. And if you get used to boomerang's max range, it's not that hard to land both hits.