@Riot: Respectfully request that you hold true to YOUR guidelines set for skin prices

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moobu

05-18-2013

Topic pretty much sums it up. We were told that this new system for skins was designed to make lesser quality skins more affordable while understandably playing a little extra for the skins that took more than a lunch break to make.

My problem is, as usual with riot, your promises always sound sincere on paper but your execution always shows that money comes first ahead of customer satisfaction. I can argue my case strongest by bringing up Armor of the Fifth Age Taric.

This skin is clearly one of the most popular skins for Taric. The troll aspect of being a pink nightmare in bottom lane catapulted this particular skin into the hearts of the community. Seeing as the skin was nothing more than loading Taric's original model into a program and sliding the tint bar to "pink" I find it hard to believe that this skin took more than 10 minutes to make. In fact I bet it took longer to upload it to the store than it took to craft the skin.

There is clearly NO other excuse or reason to keep this skin priced at 975 RP than "It's popular and we're making bank on it." By every definition of Riot's own standard for skin pricing this skin should cost no more than 520 or even as low as 390 seeing as there are more original skins that cost that price. (Such as White Mage Veigar) There is a multitude of skins that could be argued as being overpriced if we apply Riot's pricing model to them. (Including Frostblade(butt) Irelia, Arctic Ops Kennen, Dread Knight Garen, and Grim Reaper Karthus to name a few.)

Another point brought to my attention is Leprechaun Veigar. A skin with new particle effects and changes to his model. This skin fits the bracket to be a 975 skin perfectly yet sits at the 520 bracket. My thoughts on this are that Leprechaun Veigar doesn't sell very well in the first place. Partly being from the fact that Veigar isn't a very popular champion pick right now and partly because he has other skins that might be more appealing and less jokey. Either way this further proves that we were lied to when being told that skins were going to be fairly priced judged by their quality. Why would you raise the price of a product that you're struggling to sell to begin with? (Even if its the right thing to do.)

Finally I back up my argument that product popularity influencing price with Foxfire Ahri. This skin has been one of the most sought after and requested skins that I can think of. For most of 2012 it was hard to see a new skin sale announcement without constant complaining that Foxfire Ahri was NEVER on sale. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as some quick google searches revealed this skin STILL has never been on sale. (Edit: As of 6/7/2013 this point has been invalidated by the first ever Foxfire Ahri sale. Small victory for us?)

In closing I'd simply like to ask Riot to stop trying to pull the wool over their customer's eyes to disguise marketing ploys as favors to their fan base. Most of the skins that were bumped down in price were PROBABLY stagnant and not selling well. I have no hard proof but its safe to argue that doing us a "favor" and lowering the prices was nothing more than a way to attempt to sell old product that wasn't selling anymore.

League fans are some of the most loyal and dedicated fans in the gaming world. Its about time you start treating them with a little appreciation.

I'll end this post with a quote from our friendly neighborhood Wizard Crab:

"To be 100% honest, we don't have our skins priced to maximize profits. We try to price them to maximize player experience. This means a lot of different things, one of which is generating enough revenue to continue to produce a great product for you. Many players may or may not believe this, but I can tell you that our prices are not "profit maximizing." - WizardCrab

TLDR : Pink Taric is a prime example that you use skin popularity to base your pricing as opposed to skin quality like you claim. Why else would you be selling a skin that clearly falls into the 390-520 price range for 975 RP?

Edit: Need people to post in the thread to keep it visible. This can't gain a following if its on page 15 and never gets seen.

Edit 2: Thanks to Sia Eustoma for digging up the Wizard Crab quote.

Superbone1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2013

+1 for justice

Things like the Warring Kingdoms skins are another good example of skins that are more expensive than they should be - minor particle changes, no model changes (if you consider them model changes, then why aren't the Commando skins considered model changes - they are going down in price instead), no new sounds/voiceovers. Those two skins sold like crazy because they were sort of cool and for two very popular champions.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot to say that I'm very disappointed in you @Hippalus. You could have been a really great guy, but you've pretty much gone down the wrong path whenever you've had a choice about it. RIP ward skins.

Moobu

05-18-2013

Appreciate the support Superbone1. Unfortunately someone came in and downvoted the whole thread. Apparently this isn't as popular of an idea as I thought it would be. I felt I argued a pretty strong case at least.

Midnight Firefox

05-18-2013

+1. I don't mind the price increases for the major part but ALOT of skins that went up in price honestly didnt meet the prerequisites of going there. If Me'Kha was the benchmark, then I would say only 2 or 3 skins after him actually met that benchmark and yet more than 10 skins were moved upwards including Frostbutt Irelia who's only popular because of.. Well.. Her butt..

Iifa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2013

Yes, so please increase the price of Leprechaun Veigar

Moobu

05-18-2013

I personally think Leprechaun Veigar is in a bit of the opposite position of other skins. They put more work into that particular skin than most of the 720/975 skins on the store. Quality wise there's no reason that skin shouldn't be at a 975 price tag. I'd be curious to see the sales of the skin over the past 12 months. I bet when compared to other skins we'll find that Leprechaun Veigar didn't go up in price because it isn't high in demand.

Moobu

05-19-2013

Maybe giving this a small bump during hours where people are awake will keep it active.

StreakSRM

05-19-2013

+1 Would really like an answer on this.

Moobu

05-20-2013

I would too StreakSRM. Thing is people aren't keeping the topic alive for reds to see it.

Vende42

05-20-2013

Knock it up a notch. +1