Clarity, Revive, and other Summoner Spell balance discussions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2009

I don't see enough talk about summoner spells. Let me apply a definition to what I think is standard among summoner spells.

Summoner Spells: Free-of-cost abilities usable by any champion, characterized by their longer average cooldowns and clutch situation uses. Maximum of two per player.

In my opinion, the proper timing of summoner skills is one of the things that separate a good player from a bad player. Using your summoner spell in a clutch situation to make the kill or drop the tower? That's classic League of Legends. Two summoner spells that don't fit into my (and possibly others, I can't say) ideals?

Quote:
Clarity: Useless. Doesn't give enough mana, generally not worth it. Mana easier to itemize, hard to use in clutch situations. Yes, I'm sure every game or so you're running away from enemies thinking, 'Man, if I had mana right now, I could make a kill/get away/safe a teammate's life'. That's all well and good, but then again how often do you see Clarity?

If Clarity was good, you'd see more players from more skill levels using it but you rarely do.

How to Fix it: Clarity just needs to be better. It needs to give a percent of mana, so it can scale with the flow of the game. A large percent. Another option that would increase it's clutch nature would be to make it a personal buff that removes cost from abilities. No mana, no health. Last about 3-5 seconds, depending on if it's specced in Masteries or not.
Quote:
Revive: Revive is bad because it's planning for failure. It's an ability that you can only use after you've started the losing process. More over, all it does is remove one of the negative aspects of death. Revive does not deal with the gold gained by the champion who killed you, or the free time he gets anyway while you have to run your sorry butt back to your lane.

How to Fix It:
I have multiple ideas on how to fix revive. First off, it needs to work like Guardian Angel and Chrono Shift. For a LoL-style revive to be worth it, it needs to happen on the spot and not reward a kill. Another change would be to make it so you can use it on an ally, and sacrifice your Revive for a teammate. Think about it. What if you take revive and never die? You planned for failure. (See: Tacky 70's nuclear shelters.)
Those are the underpowered Summoner Spells, in my opinion. I was just tossing out some ideas on how to make them more viable for more levels of play.

What about you smarter/more competitive/more active players? What needs a buff? What needs a nerf?

Jonny Monroe

12-10-2009

Revive working like GA would be a bit silly on some heroes (Anivia with Revive + Egg + GA would be ****ed near imortal). I agree that 'planning for failure' options are never good (the mastery to reduce death time is in a similar situation). I'd rather see revive removed and replaced with something more functional as a defensive spell. Maybe something like Fortify, but for champions.

Lameador

12-10-2009

Revive isn't THAT bad. Well it wasn't as the spell was hard nerfed last patch. A CD reduction might compensate for the reenablement of gold while dead. I can give you 3 mins of uptime on a 50 min game, a very usefull bonus. So roughly a 6% uptime.

Clarity sucks, I agree,a s they are far better options.

The probleme with summoner spell is taht 3 of them are too good.

HEAL : godly early game, excellent end game
TELEPORT : map mobility, and at least a guaranteed 2 min additiional laning time per game
CLEANSE : the buffs might have been too much. Pre-nerf Morgana shield for 2 seconds is OP. It replaced teleport as an OP spell

These 3 generic SS are so good that unless you have a champ with a synergy for a specific spell (Fiddlesticks + ghost for example) you pick 2 of these 3. This is the real reason why noone plays revive.

SiKiN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-10-2009

Some Champions and players use clarity, such as Taric, Rammus, Soraka or Sivir.

Yes we can all agree clarity is not a great spell late game but early in the game Clarity can be a major offset in a lane, especially if the summoner with clarity is comfortably enough to continue spamming and stay for the purpose of out leveling the opponent in that lane.

Although in all fairness Teleport>Clarity.

Lameador

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickoe View Post
Some Champions and players use clarity, such as Taric, Rammus, Soraka or Sivir.

Yes we can all agree clarity is not a great spell late game but early in the game Clarity can be a major offset in a lane, especially if the summoner with clarity is comfortably enough to continue spamming and stay for the purpose of out leveling the opponent in that lane.

Although in all fairness Teleport>Clarity.
Your last sentence :
* completely contradicts the rest of your post
* is right on the money

P.S : Soraka as enough mana regen, she has no uses for clarity.

Logo

12-10-2009

The only problem with Clarity is the cooldown is too long. Taric definitely can make good use of it and it allows you to get Aegis/Starks first rather than having to get a +mana item. This can be a pretty big boon to your team. Teleport doesn't really help in battle so it doesn't cover the need for a +mana item.

Revive is useless because of the absurd cooldown for its effect. If you die in a team fight running back to that same teamfight isn't really going to help matters. Revive should be changed to maybe be activated before death then if you die you revive instantly at the fountain without giving your opponent gold and XP. That's about the only way I could see it being worthwhile. It could also give you a normal death without giving the enemy gold/xp but have a shorter cooldown. That way it'd be useful for initiators who are planning on getting focused in teamfights.

A 5x Teleport 5x Revive strat is the only real use of revive but it pretty much gimps you in teamfights since you're missing out on flash/cleanse/heal/promote/rally/etc.

immp

12-10-2009

good suggestions,far superior to the current status of those Spells.Would like to see claritys cd dropped,havent used it in a long time think it was 240 before,needs to be faster *120->2 mins would be fair*

SiKiN

Recruiter

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameador View Post
Your last sentence :
* is right on the money

I was exaplaning what ive seen clarity do and how it can be effective. Ive also seen a Soraka use it effectively(at a lower bracket).

Mean dude :O

2xHero

12-10-2009

I think Revive and/or the Revive mastery should provide a sizable benefit while it is off cooldown. Then, you can revive if you need it, but also have a bonus for not dying. Unlike any other summoner spell, Revive is one that you never want to (need to) use. Still, I have seen it be more useful on Twisted Treeline. If I initiate a team fight where my team gets an ace, but I still die, it's helpful to have revive to get right back to tower killing. Being down one player feels like a huge impact on TT.

Twisted

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameador View Post
Your last sentence :
* is right on the money

soroka never needs mana??? realy??? REALY????? trynd and kat and mundo NEVER need mana. soroka still runs out.