Struggling with how to build champs for Howling Abyss

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oddible

05-16-2013

I'm struggling with item builds (as well as runes / masteries) for this map. I'm a total noob and I may be reading this wrong but it seems to be all about poke and burst and snares / cc. Any strat that favors crit seems to be the way to go - so all AD champs rushing an IE first, many traditionally AD champs going AP instead and just spamming one ability to burst and poke. Is this about the gist of it? How do you find the recommended item builds so far?

Newspaper Turtle

05-16-2013

If you roll a team with two Tanks, a support and an AD that can poke and an AP that can poke, you will beat an all squishy poker team, provided one of your tanks doesn't build glass cannon and run around yelling, "I am the lizard master!"

FluffyNeko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2013

Aura items are very strong (Bulwark).

Chalice is also an excellent item for the MR and mana regen which is enough to make most champions able to spam their spells.

Also most of the recommended build items are not...optimal.

Kholdstare13

05-17-2013

The answer is always to build tanky. Make sure you have enough defensive items that you can stay in the fight. Squishy champs lose for their teams.

gr8job

05-17-2013

I'm still somewhat of a noob, so my favorite thing about ARAM is learning how to itemize situationally. I could build straight damage, but unless we're dominating, I find it better to build defensively. For example, if the other team is all poke and our team is all carries with short range, I think it's beneficial to build tanky in order to survive their poke and be able to get in range to do damage. I'm not positive if this is true considering I can't convince my team to build anything besides glass cannon (even though they can't survive to deal the damage they're built to do). Also, I recently played a game as Malz on an all AP team against a team of all tanks and a Sona. I literally built all magic pen. and it was satisfying to watch my spells just shred those tanks apart. Of course everyone else just built the typical Deathcap BS and couldn't face the obvious MR they were building. Also, if there's a Teemo, I'm always the first to rush a Hextech Sweeper or the AD equivalent to render him nearly useless. I'm not implying that my way is better or right, but I feel if people took the time to analyze what might be effective to build against the enemy team, instead of just building the ideal damage set they'd run on SR, the mode would be more effective as a learning tool for newer players like myself (the fast pace makes itemizing easier), and easier to win as well. Just saying, I'm currently like 50 wins to 30 losses so I must be doing something right! ^^

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2013

Depends on the champ, but heres stats everyone wnats:

MANA REGEN -- MOST champs are going to need some kind of mana regen to be effective. Furthermore the map gives BONUS MANA REGEN at a rate of about 4 MP5 per 100 mana you have. Something like that.
This means that Tear is a great start for any AD (who can turn to manamune), as well as any APs who can charge the tear fast and convert to Archangels.
Chalice is also extremely popular for APs who convert to Athenes.

CDR -- 40% CDR gives you 67% faster spamming, and costs about 1600g to itemize. Consider it takes about 6k of AP to boost an average 0.7AP spell by the same amount, you can see why CDR is popular! (even moreso for AD casters)
Another reason Athenes is awesome and Ionic boots are taken quite a bit.

HP5 - You need some kind of health recovery as you WILL take poke dmg. Nothing is worse than an Olaf who starts with a Giants Belt, eats some poke and sits at tower useless and hogs all the medpaks.
Starting with 5 health pots is pretty good for safer champs. Melee generally want some HP5 tough. Emblem gives everyone 7HP5. Locket is a good health item and you can start with rejuv bead for later upgrade. Guardian Horn gives high HP5 and ok health too.
AP will eventually want a Will of Ancients/vamp to give some sustain.
ADCs will grab a Vamp Scepter and do something with it to sustain.

================================
AD Casters -- typicall get armor pen and lots of AD. Brutalizer, Last Whisper. Plus manamune in many cases to spam if they have range like Jayce.

AP Casters - Tend to go some combination of...
a) Magic penetration - haunting guise, sorc shoes, possible Abyssal, void. Good for high base dmg casters (elise, fiddle).
b) AP for raw power - Deathcap,etc. Best for those with SHIELD and HEAL effects as mpen doesnt help those.
c) Liandrys for the Burn effect. Good for poor AP ratio spells especially such as Kogs Ult, and spells with built in Slow/stun for 2x burn dmg.
d) Tankiness such as Rylais, Rod of Ages, Seraphs. So they can survive assassins.

AD carries - Run the gambit between close to AD Casters and CritCarries.
a) ADCasters tend to build like an AD Caster even using brutalizer, manamune, LW and spam abilities.
b) Crit carries work more on getting a big autoattack such as Tristana. Inf Edge, Phantom Dancer,etc.
All tend to get some Vamp Scepter to Sanguine or something for sustain.
Many will wind up needing a Frozen mallet (or at least giant belt) to avoid dying to burst dmg.

Bruisers/Tanks - All tend to pile on the tanky items with fairly minimal offense. Maybe a Brutalizer or whatever. For my Xin, I take Ghostblade since it stacks so well with his autoattack stuff. rest tends to be tanky.
These guys try to defeat the Poke meta by simply running the enemy over and surviving their attacks. Everyone pounces on enemy high dmg dealer.

Redenbacher

05-17-2013

Err on the side of survivability. Glass cannon is only viable if your team is supportive, and even then - use your judgment.

Max CDR, primarily if you have any CC or support abilities.

Someone should always build Aegis. Sometimes, that'll be you, even if you're playing an APC or ADC.

If you're an ADC, don't forget to get some form of crit to stay relevant late game against tankier champions.

Aamon2500

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare13 View Post
The answer is always to build tanky. Make sure you have enough defensive items that you can stay in the fight. Squishy champs lose for their teams.
Not if the squishy champ happens to be veigar or fiddle who you can't touch even if you try. 2.5 sec fear or a mass stun field.

Kalarepa

05-18-2013

For me, one of the biggest mistakes players make in ARAM is that they stack too much mana regen. No, you don't need that manamune on Ashe or Sivir. You also don't need chalice->grail on 90% heroes.
Remember, there is global mana regen aura in ARAM. This and maybe few mana regen runes is enough on most of the non-mage heroes, unless you spam skills 24/7 in mid air or something.
Also, I get chalice or tear only on really mana hungry heroes, like Anivia, Ziggs, Malz. If you don't need that much mana, Morellonomicon is way better than Grail.

Also, many people rush Liandry. Like what the hell. First of all, it will do next to 0 damage until late game, when enemies have some HP. Secondly, it's good only if you have low CDs and you have some slow or you can utilize Rylai. It's terrible choice on burst heroes, like AP Yi.

About lifesteal/spellvamp. It really depends, does your team prefer poking, healing and poking or hard engaging, when they need high damage.

One more thing. When you're playing tank and enemies are better at poking your first thought may be "Damn, I need MR for all that poke". Yes, you will need some MR. But at least 1 armor item is important as well, because eventually you will have to engage on them and probably tank towers.

@edit And another thing. Hextech Sweeper and Lightbringer exist. Seems like many people still don't realize that and get destroyed by some Teemo, Shaco or Talon.

C00LST0RYBR0

05-18-2013

95% of the players I've seen so far run out of mana. Suggesting to not get Mana Regen is one of the worst advice i've ever seen. Chalice is one of the best items on this map. Every mana champion profits more from spamming spells than not. Tear is good if you can stack it, only.