Make ARAM truly random: Open entire champion pool to all players.

1234511 ... 18
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mihlo

05-16-2013

I think at this point its safe to say that the random in ARAM isn't random enough.

The biggest problem is the ARAM smurfs, they've always existed, even before the advent of matchmaking, but they weren't as prevalent because many ARAM games were level 30 exclusive which deterred many from even trying in the first place. Now the convenience of matchmaking has also made it easy to just make a smurf account with the top ARAM champions. Champions which we're now seeing over and over and over again.

The randomness of any ARAM game is only as good as the person with the least number of champions owned, and statistically a smurf is more likely to get the champions they want versus a normal player with most champions unlocked, despite the normal player having more rerolls. This leads to games with Lux/Nidalee/Jayce/Kog'maw/etc as well as any FOTM champions current or previous appearing much more often than not.

The best solution is to just simply make the entire champion pool available to all players ONLY when playing ARAM matchmaking. (note: matchmaking only, not customs)

What does everyone think of this?

Jeddite

05-16-2013

I think this opinion has been expressed about 105,675 times in 105,675 different threads. In less than a week.

(but seriously - no. The "solution" to ARAM smurfs is to increase the minimum-required number of Champions to play the mode. In the match-making queue - custom games do not need this rule. I didn't unlock ~108 champions so Riot could go ahead and make all champions available to anybody and everybody... even if it's just in the ARAM queue.)

SylianEUW

05-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddite View Post
I didn't unlock ~108 champions so Riot could go ahead and make all champions available to anybody and everybody... even if it's just in the ARAM queue.)
I have all currently released champions in the game and I would be thrilled if they did this. It's supposed to be All Random, not Available Random.

Der Nordwind

05-16-2013

I'd like that too. Currently I only own 12 or 13, champions. But, Riot of course wouldn't just do this because a lot of people have worked hard to get them, so it'd be unfair.

Onymous

05-17-2013

It isn't like you actually have them. You have no way of intentionally choosing them. Hell, it even sounds like a good way to let players test out champs outside of their free week. You happen to play someone you like in ARAM and then you buy them for the other game modes.

I think this is a good idea. It prevents smurfing for ARAM (if that is even a problem? I suspect Riot is looking into this) and adds more diversity to the experience. It is actually a very elegant solution. I can't think of any problems with it, personally.

Zielmann

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onymous View Post
It isn't like you actually have them. You have no way of intentionally choosing them. Hell, it even sounds like a good way to let players test out champs outside of their free week. You happen to play someone you like in ARAM and then you buy them for the other game modes.

I think this is a good idea. It prevents smurfing for ARAM (if that is even a problem? I suspect Riot is looking into this) and adds more diversity to the experience. It is actually a very elegant solution. I can't think of any problems with it, personally.
The problem, as I've mentioned before, is that it theoretically makes it so people who play almost exclusively ARAM have no incentive to unlock champions. They would basically be earning IP for nothing.

But the more I think about it, it could encourage these people to go through and actually unlock all the champions as they have IP available. Mostly because of the re-roll system. You'd basically be spending IP (or RP) to get faster re-rolls. Also, if you wanted a skin for a champ, you'd still have to make sure they're unlocked first.

All that said, I do wish they would it. I feel it fits the spirit of the game, and also puts everybody on a level playing field for the 'competitive' version of ARAM.

Oh, and ARAM smurfs are a thing, though I don't think they're widespread quite yet. I've run into a team of them before, and it was just frustrating.

Kalarepa

05-17-2013

All champions available, no rerolls and 2 hours dodge penalty. I'd love mode like that.

Basist

05-17-2013

Giving access to all champs would be the quickest way to turn this mode into a ****fest. The "random" in the mode wouldn't be who your team got/who you're up against anymore, but how many people on your team haven't actually played that champ.

Do you really want to lose at least twice as many games as you do now?

Mihlo

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddite View Post
I think this opinion has been expressed about 105,675 times in 105,675 different threads. In less than a week.

(but seriously - no. The "solution" to ARAM smurfs is to increase the minimum-required number of Champions to play the mode. In the match-making queue - custom games do not need this rule. I didn't unlock ~108 champions so Riot could go ahead and make all champions available to anybody and everybody... even if it's just in the ARAM queue.)
Just increasing the minimum doesn't fix the issue that players will only meet that minimum required to play.

If you set the minimum too high, you risk alienating the lower level players that don't earn enough IP and don't want to pay in real money to unlock enough champions to play. (You may as well make ARAM matchmaking 30 exclusive)

So the minimum has to be kept reasonably low, but by keeping it reasonably low you open the mode to exploitation by smurfs who have a higher chance of getting who they want.

In other words, its a band-aid solution.

As a compromise, how about making rerolls continue to scale with the number of champions that you actually own + free week, the rest of the roster will not count towards reroll points, it keeps the incentive to buy champions while not making ARAM just a free champion mode for nothing, you "pay" for it by not being able to reroll or get what you want compared to someone who has more champions. If we need to sweeten the incentive some more, we can make it so that champions you own have a oh so slightly higher chance of being rolled, this increase can only happen once per champion owned, resetting daily.

As always, ONLY in matchmaking would these rules apply.

Quote:
Giving access to all champs would be the quickest way to turn this mode into a ****fest. The "random" in the mode wouldn't be who your team got/who you're up against anymore, but how many people on your team haven't actually played that champ.

Do you really want to lose at least twice as many games as you do now?
I'll take that over the current situation, which is a mix of your doomday scenario and the other extreme, players who are really good with a subset of champions and and create a smurf account consisting of only those champions, thus increasing their chances of getting said champions over champions they are not so good with, despite lower reroll points.

Besides, the mode is supposed to be random like that, every game can't be the champs you're good at only (unless you've gotten to the point where you're competent with all champions)

Namquoron

05-18-2013

I keep seeing the whole "People who only play aram are getting free ip for nothing" argument thrown around time and time again on this subject. It doesn't work. You get IP in this game for time spent playing it basically. It doesn't matter which game mode you play. A person can play any game mode only playing free week champs and still have the same effect. Only difference being with the free week champs you know what you are getting.

I really don't see how Riot would be losing any money out of making arams completely open champion wise either. They already have free week champs that you can play in every other mode. They don't make money off of IP purchases either. They make them off the RP champ sales and from skins. There are plenty of players who spend money on skins and champs out there that someone who just enjoys arams isn't going to hurt their bank anymore than someone who only buys champs with IP from another game type. If anything making arams not open would end up hurting them because once a person gets the champs they want for arams they stop spending anything anyways which removes the incentive for them to get more champs or skins. Then there is the fact a newer player could play arams just for fun and have access to try more champions leading to possibly finding ones they like rather than just playing the free week stuff for competitive play.

1234511 ... 18