Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Don't ever expect a skin like "French Maid Nidalee" or "Battle Bunny Riven"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

05-17-2013

Quote:
Seracain:

My view is go with what fits the character and the situation. And I think that's one way to be respectful too.

Yup. That's our view!

NotBuzzJack

05-17-2013

Quote:
No name just me:
This is a bird we're talking to
just thought you guys should know
Ironstylus is a bird
How is he even typing posts?

Obviously he has a human mech suit.

soupdelicious

05-17-2013

There's a lot of complete junk female designs.

Akali sideboob.
Ashe's boobs are in the way of pulling back her bow.
Elise is anthropomorphic, but is only human enough to have boobs.
Janna wears clown makeup.
Nami is another anthro who is only human enough to have boobs.

French Maid Nidalee and a few other skins have perfect circle boobs like the kind 12 year olds who've never seen boobs draw.

There's junk like Road Warrior Miss Fortune where she's showing her ass and they've twisted her body all the way around in this impossible way that shows both her butt and her boobs. Twist yourself in your chair and try to do this.

MissFortune_Splash_5.jpg

StationaryObject

05-17-2013

Quote:
SmellslikeCF:
In all seriousness though... the issue isn't with "sexualisation" or "objectification" it's the concept of male/female itself.

How do you know if something's female? or male? What defines "femininity" or "masculinity"?

Last I recall, according to "human" standards, it's impossible to tell the difference between the sexes in fish. Or Dogs. Or Mammoths.

Sometimes a little sexualisation has to be there, in order to portray gender.

Then the real question,
Does it really matter to know if a video game character is male or female?

Femininity and Masculinity are all social concepts that change as times does. So we can not solidly define these concepts. Gender is the same.

But does it really matter? Do we really need to define them as feminine or masculine for a video game about fighting? Because it honestly doesn't matter in game and why should it?

CrimsonCzar

05-17-2013

Quote:
NotBuzzJack:
Obviously he has a human mech suit.

Like Krang from TMNT?

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0804/3.jpg

shoothoot2

05-17-2013

Well Iron Stylus still wins for the Little Mermaid song post he made when people were flipping that Nami had cleavage. AND GUESS WHAT HE DEFENDED THE CLEAVAGE

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31521726#31521726

There's the link for anyone who wants to reminisce on that beautiful post
Thats right I favorited it I still look at it sometimes

IS12c9caee90c700fc71890

05-17-2013

Quote:
Riot NeuroCat:
People were saying this BEFORE Battle Bunny Riven too. No need to doomsay

The balance between classy and attractive skins will be maintained I'd expect - but perhaps we can hit that sweet spot of both classy and attractive? That's the jackpot

I'd rather not mix things.

More original MF concept art-like designs plos, and original Irelias.

Riot NeuroCat

Associate Business Analyst

05-17-2013

Quote:
Seracain:
I don't think sexualisation is a bad thing, if it suits the source. MF or Ahri make more sense to have some sexualisation than say Leona, but a hinted at sunbathing skin would make sense to have some sexualisation, but even then I'd personally expect the level of sexualisation would be less than if it was say Miss Fortune.

My view is go with what fits the character and the situation. And I think that's one way to be respectful too.

I think that's the important way to look at it. As I understand it, some characters by design are inherently more sexual, and therefore more 'sexualized' skins are more appropriate for these characters. With skins in general, ask yourself whether your skin idea really meshes with the character's "high concept". Ahri uses her seductive powers to lure men to their doom - a more sexualized skin would make sense on her more than other characters.

This subject is also hard to clearly discuss, since a lot of these terms aren't well defined and a lot of "what is sexualized" falls into various categories of subjectivity. Miscommunication arises!

EDIT: Scooped by the bird!

SmellslikeCF

05-17-2013

Quote:
StationaryObject:
Then the real question,
Does it really matter to know if a video game character is male or female?

Femininity and Masculinity are all social concepts that change as times does. So we can not solidly define these concepts. Gender is the same.

But does it really matter? Do we really need to define them as feminine or masculine for a video game about fighting? Because it honestly doesn't matter in game and why should it?

Yes it does. Because of the structure of this game.
If this game's design was about space blobs with varying powers and abilities... sure this wouldn't matter.

But you're using the fantasy genre, with humans and humanoids... gender has to be portrayed

Alex3omg

05-17-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Yup. That's our view!

tbh about the art (to contribute something on topic)

I think sexy is fine, ****ty is fine, pretty is fine, classy is fine. I'm Morello's Karma Terrorist so you probably know this, but I liked her original design a lot. Classy. 'fisticated.

I have a problem with those painful poses y'all do though. I don't think anatomy needs to be sacrificed for dynamic poses, you can have both.

So can we expect an artbook ever? I ask you this all the time and i'ma keep askin til I gots an artbook dammit!