Idea for accounts with lots of champs vs smurfs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taioron

05-15-2013

Problems: Smurf accounts, or on the other hand people that had bought a bunch of champs they would rather not play on ARAM.

Solution: Accounts could "lockout" a given number of champions from being possible choice for themselves on ARAM(in-depth description in the last paragraph)

On the ARAM threads there are a few recurring topics such as smurf accounts and having already bought a bunch of champs before ARAM, even ARAM on the proving grounds, was popular. I thought of a pretty fun, original idea. Maybe some people have come up with similar ideas I just haven't seen this one yet personally. In my case, before ARAM became popular on the proving grounds, I had already bough a fair amount of champs. Now that I play ARAM, quite a few of them are just terrible on ARAM(in my opinion) and I just don't *ever* want to play them on ARAM, however on summoner's rift I love to play them. There are plenty of people creating smurf accounts and only choosing strong champs for ARAM. For the argument that the smurf accounts still have the free champs being chosen from: When they buy 10 or more "Good" champs, they now have at *least* a 50% chance of getting a strong champion(a much higher percent than "normal" accounts would have)

Solution: "Lockout" champions. Since accounts that have been around since before ARAM was popular have many champs that the summoner would just not like to use in ARAM, we allow people to "lockout" a given % of champions from being part of the possible pool of champions in ARAM. The number of champs and how it is determined is obviously up for discussion, but an arbitrary amount could be 10% of the total number of bought champions.
Example: An account has purchased 40 champions, that account can choose 10% of that number(4) and lock them out from being part of the possible pool of selection. So, they have a tab before they even queue for a game where they can go and choose up to 4 champions, and then when they queue for ARAM, it will only choose from 36 of the bought champions, as 4 of them are locked out. Obviously the free rotation would still be part of it, which is 10 champions, so in total it will be choosing from 36 bought+ 10 free, so 46 champions, instead of 50 which was the total before lockout.

ChiefOfPolice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2013

nope. part of the fun in aram is getting champs you don't want, i have an account with only champs i like but it's boring when you dont have bad ones to balance it out

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

05-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOfPolice View Post
part of the fun in aram is getting champs you don't want
part of the fun in

you know what i can't even come up with an analogy to this

the idea of 'suffering being part of the fun' is stupid

Taioron

05-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOfPolice View Post
part of the fun in aram is getting champs you don't want
, It's only fun if this applies to everyone, but the problem with this is it isn't even *close* to equal for the smurf accounts. They could have a 2% chance of getting the maybe 1 bad champ out of the 10 free ones if they have bought a decent number of good aram champs in addition to the free ones.

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2013

So then we will see the same 10-20 champs in every game?

No thank you.

I still think they should unlock all champions for every ARAM game. That way smurfs don't have any advantage.

Nifty Trout

05-15-2013

I have been power leveling my normal smurf on aram, and while i bought one of the multi champ packs, the majority of those that i own I know how to play effectively
that's what you need to be able to do to do well in aram
except i suck ass with anivia and garen in aram
I just can't carry with them lol

Kholdstare13

05-15-2013

There is a lot of fun to be had playing champs on ARAM for the first time. Even champs you have never used or thought were worthless there can be amazing (great games as udyr and sejuani).

If you really wanted this, you could add the option AFTER an ARAM game to apply this to the champion you just played. You might have 1 lock per 15 champs owned, and 1 "free lock" for free rotation champs you don't own. After playing a game as a champion, you can decide to lock them. You can unlock them at any time, but it can't be reapplied without playing as them again. Free locks get removed every new rotation.

*Plays as Shyvanna* "Never doing that again." *Locks*

Experience a game as that champion for yourself before deciding if you really can't enjoy playing as them.

Zielmann

05-15-2013

The solution to smurf accounts it to allow people get the same benefit that smurf accounts have, only not forcing them to go through the process of leveling up a whole new account and needing to re-purchase runes/rune pages?

The problem with smurf accounts isn't that the player created a new account. It's that they're allowing those players to restrict their random pool in such a way that they have a high probability of getting a champion that they want to play. All your solution does is make that automatically available to everybody. That doesn't fix the problem. At the most, it's a weak patching of the problem.

Taioron

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekweezul View Post
So then we will see the same 10-20 champs in every game?

No thank you.

I still think they should unlock all champions for every ARAM game. That way smurfs don't have any advantage.
You didn't bother to even read the solution, as your "10-20" champs in every game would be impossible under my example. Your solution is extremely unlikely because for players that only play ARAM, they would then have Zero reasons to buy new champions, and that my friend, is a bad business plan on Riots behalf.

If only 10% of *all* of the champions you bought can be locked out, then like in my example, if a person bought FORTY(40) champions, they could only lock out FOUR(4). You would have to be extremely picky about which ones you locked, as 4 isn't really that many. I do like Kholdstare13 idea of being able to lock them out only *after* you have played them on ARAM, and the lockout number would still be low like in my example.

As the only possible solution that completely stops smurf accounts from having an advantage is the "unlock All on ARAM" solution, and Riot is Not going to do that for moneys sake, we need to come up with other solutions as that solution isn't valid.

ThanatosAUS

05-17-2013

Just get match making to prefer to put the smurfs together in their own little village of "preferred" champs. Have tiers of champ minimum for match making selection <30, 30-60, 60+. Make the system prefer a single tier first, then one above or below and finally all tiers if no matches were found.