Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Runes Helps please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

barron114

05-14-2013

I'm always switching back and forth on this, what's better full AP Runes or full magic resist Runes? Like if you have full magic resist and you buy a Dorans ring and 1v1 your mid champ would you have more of the advantage because the other person isn't doing much damage to you or will you have more advantage having full AP Runes and just see who is the better player?

One more question that I wonder If you were to have full Magic penetration Runes and the usual start of magic armor in beginning of the game I think is 32 will it go down and causing you to do more damage?

Thanks for you help!

Z The Slayer

05-14-2013

It typically depends on your range, and if you're expecting non-magical mids. Kha'Zix, Talon, Vi have all been known to go mid and wreck unprepared squishies. If you aren't playing ranked, then there's nothing you can do about this with runes, unfortunately (besides getting standard issue armor runes).

AP works better against champs who you don't expect to take a hit. Lux, Xerath, Ziggs, Leblanc, all good examples.
MR really helps with melee based casters. Morde and Kat fit here.

Bursters/ranged casters should get AP.
Medium ranged/late game casters get MR.

As for your other question, the numbers listed on your spells are assuming the enemy has an ending total of 0 magic resist. That means that your magic penetration is the same as their magic resist, nullifying it completely. If they have more magic resist, they take less damage than your spell states. If they have less, they take more. Magic resist totals can be negative.

Magic resist changes make a bigger difference the closer you are to 0. Like, the difference between 0-10 is bigger than 10-20. When you have up to 200 magic resist, an additional 10 won't make much difference at all.

Z The Slayer

05-14-2013

In a 1v1 situation, where one has MR and the other has AP, I'm pretty sure the MR user would win.

But keep in mind, AP increases your damage against minions, gives you more leverage during a gank and scales with many non-damage spells (like Lux's shield). It is also less circumstantial than MR.