Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to win against extremely aggressive champions as Zyra

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemiLichLord

05-14-2013

I'm a new player to League of Legends and I've recently got Zyra, fun champion I might add. I'm normally support like Sona or Janna but that gets boring after awhile.

Unfortunately I noticed I find myself always getting ripped apart against extremely aggressive players.

Like recently played against a Garen, things were going quite smoothly in the beginning even got first blood and I was pushing him back and able to put some hurt on his tower, at first he played defensively and then suddenly he began playing more offensively ignoring my minions, plants, and tower just focusing entirely on killing me and surprisingly this seemed to work everytime, making him more and more fed, and seemingly unkillable.

I've had a number of games go like this. Everytime I'm against more close-combat orientated champions they do this same strategy and I'm powerless. I try to use my snare and ult to give me a chance to escape but i'm generally bad at escaping.

Zyra has good burst with her combo (E,W,Q,W, and R), but less squishy champions with good magic resist seem to just blow straight past this and rip me to pieces.

What am I probably doing wrong, how would you handle this?

Voyager

05-14-2013

I would ask what summoner spells you are use, because if you don't have flash then escaping would be hard. Also a thing to learn is to not panic when you get rushed. I've see a lot of caster champs freak out and start missing skill shots because they are getting charged down.

If you are having trouble as Zyra against a Garen or the like, you might be getting too close. (Or standing still, never stand still). Think of laning as a boxing match. Both champions are trying to keep the enemy within their attack radius, while staying out of their enemies attack radius.

As casters it very important to keep your distance until you go in for the kill. If you get charged, root, nuke and run. Always keep your range as your advantage; if you see him moving up, move back, but try and throw a spell or 2 while moving back. Sometimes even just getting a free auto attack in is just as good.

If you are having trouble will skill shots, sadly the only remedy is practice. Boring, repetitive practice. Learn the timing and the feel of the shot, this way once you are in those panic situations you can land that root, or stun, or what have you so you can escape.

How would I handle this situation:
As Zyra getting charged by a Garen (assuming we are both at full HP, etc....) the second he starts to advance I would fall back. While moving back I would drop the 2 plants (W) and then throw and E to snare and hatch the planets. When he gets rooted I would throw my Q, while still keeping range and then run like I stole something and hid under the tower until my skills came off cool down.

The real trick to not getting charged down is to not push out as far as you can. Try only going for last hits on minions (ie. only attack the minions if your auto attack would get the kill). This keeps your lane from being pushed out too far and decreases the risk of being caught out in a bad spot too far from your turret.

I hope this helps you.

DemiLichLord

05-14-2013

Okay thanks I should probably pickup flash more often, and not be too aggressive in lane as I'm dying away from my tower most of the time. Garen is generally not the main concern people like Katarina and other gap closing champions are a major pain however. I'm also usually dieing right after my combo, which generally results in being jumped on while my spells are on cooldown or I'm dead if I miss my E.

Sephïroth

05-14-2013

In higher Elo games, Flash is nearly a must on almost all champions. Some junglers get away without taking it, and some tanks are able to take Ghost as they can take a beating while they run away, but for the most part having Flash enables you to completely re position yourself within a blink of an eye. This is extremely powerful, especially for champions who are skill shot based.

Ie Lux is shooting a Q-E->LaZORR combo at you, you can flash to the side and blow your entire combo and kill her.