Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why do I do so well in bot games (I know it's begineer) but I do terrible online?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DXNinja555

05-14-2013

I played about 3 bot games as Draven and I kind of got used to him (it's probably not enough, but I got bored of bot games), but I done pretty terrible as Draven online and I ragequit because I didn't want people to talk smack about me. Any tips on how to do well as one character by doing as good in PvP as in bot games? Because I usually have high hopes after I play a few bot games when I start a PvP game, then I do bad.

Gaarashatan

05-14-2013

take criticism, play more bot games. focus on map awareness and csing. get a proper build. learn other champ spells. since your bot alot of blitz's like to pull near tower. so if your chasing and dont back away sooner than you usually would against a blitz and get pulled. it just shows how bad you are. and you have no talent for this game at all.

Zerglinglol

05-14-2013

when in doubt, play conservative. Freeze your lane, don't push. If you aren't dying it means you aren't throwing the game.

DXNinja555

05-14-2013

I actually try to play passively and I try to CS but the fear factor rises in lane (e.g. I'll get harmed if I try to last hit while the enemy is nearby).

I usually attack when the support (for some reason) rushes in. I also realize that Draven is a good harasser with his Spinning Axe.

Voyager

05-14-2013

In general I would say its best to play conservatively if you are new to a champion. However, Draven is a special case. He excels at early game aggression. If you chose to play that way, always make it clear with your support you want to play the lane that way.

Also from your post it seems like a relatively new to the game. Games vs other people have a higher learning curve than against bots. Give it time and practice. Also when your support (for some reason) rushes in that may be a good time for an initiate on the enemy. It will take some time to be able to tell when is a good time to fight and when is not, but let your lane partner know this. Communication will go a long way to helping you win more games and learning to play better.

Zerglinglol

05-14-2013

Quote:
DXNinja555:
I actually try to play passively and I try to CS but the fear factor rises in lane (e.g. I'll get harmed if I try to last hit while the enemy is nearby).

I usually attack when the support (for some reason) rushes in. I also realize that Draven is a good harasser with his Spinning Axe.

Playing bottom in solo Q can actually be very challenging just for the reason that you don't know your support. I'm a very aggressive support personally, but I've seen supports who are passive. A lot of the time you may be with a support who plays like your opposite, but you have to adjust to each other ^_^

fireDlazer

05-14-2013

First thing to remember is that bots behave as they are programmed, very little in deviation so you can and will learn their patterns and play accordingly. This willl set you up to learn bad habits that most people do not do so you will be looking to use those bad habits and it won't work very often.

Other thing to keep in mind is that there will be people who act as if their very life depends on the game they are in and will rage and blame you for the loss or any death they receive from the person you laned against. My advice is learn to ignore this and if it's really bad mute, then report them after the game.

Also, learn one or two champs well and play a normal game, tell people in champ select that you are learning this champ and not to expect too much. This can alleviate some peoples fear that you are trolling if you start to do bad. It also lets those that might not take the game as serious to help you and offer some advice instead of raging. Make no mistake you will get those who still rage but under no circumstance should you rage back or certainly not quit.

Add me in game and I would be more than happy to help you.

Scorpious1109

05-14-2013

If you are ever getting harrased by other plaerys verbally in game, keep calm and don't ragequit. You can actually get reported and potentially banned for leaving games.

However, if anyone is trash talking you and not giving you any constuctive advice, pull up your tab screen and click on the chat bubble to mute them.

This may be recomended against due to some people thinking that toxic players might actually offer important info, but until you get more practice ignoring them, just mute them so you don't get frustrated.

IMKR

05-14-2013

In bot games, forget everything you teammate tells you. and dont even bother trying to kill your enemy (what ever bot champ your facing against) if they try to atk you just run to tower. instead, focus on last hitting minions.
Ideally, you want to be 100 cs by 10 min, 150 cs by 15 min, and so on. (really really hard, this means you dont miss one minions)
so just work on trying to get atleast 50 cs by 10 min and 100 by 150 min.
once you get that down, work on harassing your enemy while working on csing. try to get a at least 30 cs lead against your oppoenent ( all of this i mean in bot game)
then, once you can do that, work on being able to cs, harass, and killing your lane.
once you get all that, go to PvP. dont worry about other things. cuz once you get into wierd bots habits you wil start doing them on pvp which will never work.

Lethadind

05-14-2013

Essentially what everyone else has said. Bot games are the beginning of the beginning. You will be playing against people who have been playing this game for three years sometimes, and you have to realize that they simply have more experience than you.

What you need to understand is that this is a learning opportunity for you. If you go into your games expecting to go against players that are better than you, you won't be disappointed when you don't do as well as you'd like to do, and you can use that as a learning experience. There are A LOT more factors to consider in PvP games than in bot games - people in PvP will roam from their lanes a lot more often than bot games. I randomly played a few bot games the other day and realized that the bots will usually go to base if they get low on health at all - PvP this doesn't happen nearly as often (and usually people will get health pots to sustain back to a reasonable amount of health).

You just need more experience in PvP. You can't expect to be amazing at this game just because you want to be amazing at this game. It takes time and practice. If everyone was amazing at everything they wanted to be amazing at instantly, we'd have a much larger NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, eSports, etc. roster. It's tough, it's hard work, it takes time and patience, and attention to understanding what you need to improve.

For now the most basic fundamentals are this:

FIRST, Learn how to last hit as many minions as possible. Try to do this with only auto-attacks for the first 5 levels to conserve mana. Obviously if you need to use mana to grab some minions at the tower or something go ahead, but try to learn three things in this regard: 1) Your auto-attack animation (how long it takes between right-clicking on the minion to the damage actually registering. It's different for every champion (Karthus, for instance, has a long-ass animation, while Ezreal's is fairly short), 2) How much damage you will actually do to the minion at a given level (it's very frustrating when you hit a minion and it is left with 1-5 hp, and one of your minion's attacks ends up killing it). 3) The ebb-and-flow of timing your last hits with your minions' damage to their minions. This takes time, but you need to pay attention to all 6 (or 7, in the cannon minion waves) minion's health, and which one is losing health the fastest (sometimes there will be a minion that starts with lower health, but another minion is losing health faster, you need to be know which one is going to die first. Again, this takes time). CS (Creep score, or the number of minion last hits you get) is probably the most important thing in League of Legends, and I didn't understand this until I was about level 15-20. 50% of your gold will come from your CS (at least if you do it right), with about 30% coming from kills, and the other 20% coming from gold over time. These are rough percentages so don't quote me on them, but the idea is that most of your gold comes from CS. The more gold you have, the more items you can buy sooner, the more items you buy the more damage you can deal (or take), the more damage you deal or take, the more of a threat you are to the enemy team, the more of a threat you are to the enemy team, the higher your likelihood of winning.

SECOND, pay attention to the mini-map. It's probably the BIGGEST contributor to why you end up losing your games. You didn't look at the map, you didn't see that two champions were coming for you while you chase another one (or are simply farming in a lane or the jungle), you got caught, you died. If you do this several times in a game it WILL cause you to lose your game. Another reason you want to look at the map is to catch people doing this as well. When someone isn't paying attention and you can see them, you can catch THEM and kill THEM instead. Figure out a way to make it a habit of looking at the map every few seconds. I learned to do this by looking at the map every time I went to last hit a minion, it worked pretty well, but it took awhile before it became a habit.

When you know the mid-lane is gone, you can guess they are probably roaming to another lane. If you are playing Draven and you see their Ahri is missing (and after reading a few things online you understand that Ahri is one of the best roamers in the game), if you don't have any wards (you NEED wards, if your lane partner isn't buying them then spend 75g and at least put one in the river above the bush), you need to play passively until you know where Ahri is going or where she currently is. If you have a ward up and you see her trying to roam to your lane, you can set up a counter-gank with your mid by waiting for her in the river bush, for example. There are many ways that simply looking at the map and processing the information it tells you will win you games. Especially if you are playing with a bunch of people who AREN'T looking at the map

THIRD, Don't die. This may seem obvious, but it's terribly important. By dying you miss out on gold, experience, and more gold. A 1 for 1 trade is never worth it. Ever. Not dying is FAR more important than killing. If you KNOW you are going to die, then obviously try to get a kill out of it (I see people try to run from Ashe, for instance, and I laugh. If Ashe has you in her auto-attack range, there's no way you're going to escape it unless you either kill her or can make a clutch flash over a wall, at the very least try to damage her so someone else can pick up the kill), but if you see a kill opportunity that has a high-likelihood of you dying, don't take it, wait for another safer opportunity. Keep farming, keep harassing.

There are hundreds of other facets to this game that you need to learn, but I believe these are the "Big Three" as it were. Good luck!