Why league is more successful than Dota

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IamDuddits

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimPackTstAwwYa View Post
DoTA is a terrible game with over-complicated mechanics, stupid graphics and everything is more difficult or annoying or over powered than it should be. It's hard to learn, even harder to be good at and no one wants to learn it because it's stupid anyways.

League is noob friendly, easy to pick up for players new to MOBA's, looks much better...there's a lot of reasons why league is doing better.

Basically the definition of "over-hyped."
LoL boasts 110+ champions with about 50-70% being completely redundant, out-classed by another similar champion, or requiring too much effort to do something that another champion does easier with roughly the same return. It also boasts summoner levels, rune pages and summoner spells which sounds great until you realize that it's nothing more than a grind (much like the champions) and an illusion of choice.

That is basically the definition of over-hyped.

Something is "stupid" and "terrible" because it's difficult to learn. Priceless logic.

DeathByWaffle

05-11-2013

I don't think the playerbase has that much to do with it. Sure it probably has something to do with it, but it's a relatively minor part. I think the biggest reason why LoL is so successful is that it's really simplistic and easy to pick up. This is a good thing. The goal of Riot is to make a simple game with a lot of depth whereas Dota has quite a bit of mechanics that are quite complex, but offer very little depth.

Simple and deep>complex and shallow

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdoct View Post
Those stupid over complicated mechanics make the game funner.
I'd say that's up for everyone him or herself to decide whether he likes it or not.

As for playerbase; the larger the playerbase, the worse it is, up to a critical point. The more competitive a game is, the worse the playerbase.

The first thing is mainly due to the fact that a smaller playerbase tends to have players more familiar with each other. Imagine a group of 5, then 20, 50, 200 and several thousand players. It's getting harder and harder to get to know each other, to discipline people who fall out of line and to govern yourself. However, whether you have 50000 or two million players isn't much of a difference anymore, the group is too large to be moderated manually anymore anyway.

The competitive nature of a game directly punishes comparative disadvantages. If you are killing a boss in a PvE game 2 minutes faster than others, nobody will really care, as long as you kill it. And if people don't care, they don't rage or show other heavily emotional responses, because "it's just a game". If it's however a boss killing competition and people care a lot, attempting to use a different technique for that boss that takes longer but might be more convenient or fun to you will cause people to rage at you. Plus, if you fail either way, a similar emotional response will be triggered, because YOU are at fault for his greatest misery of all time and the fact that you shattered all his hopes, plans and dreams with your incompetence. This happens the moment people care about what they do, and the more they care, the more powerful the emotional response. And players with a competitive mindset tend to care A LOT.

Naturally, the above effect is amplified if it becomes clear what the best techniques are.

Both effects are independent of each other and are pretty much proven. In the exact same game, the PvP community tends to be worse than the PvE community. Especially MMORPGs have shown this, as you had both in the same game and thus could observe the difference fairly easily.

Glutting

05-11-2013

What's up with all the dota2 threads?

Mocha Chan

05-11-2013

Spot on "IS17804f7429d10e"

Felaedor

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
I don't think the playerbase has that much to do with it. Sure it probably has something to do with it, but it's a relatively minor part. I think the biggest reason why LoL is so successful is that it's really simplistic and easy to pick up. This is a good thing. The goal of Riot is to make a simple game with a lot of depth whereas Dota has quite a bit of mechanics that are quite complex, but offer very little depth.

Simple and deep>complex and shallow
I'd love to get inside your head to find out what exactly you think makes League "deep" compared to DotA.

To me and honestly most people who play both, it's completely the other way around.

Don't really need to look any further than the possible applications of jungle mechanics to support my point. Multi-unit control combined with the ability to pull and stack allows for gameplay options League could barely dream of.

ProPlayer

05-11-2013

dude why the lame comparison dota2is still in beta phase so stop judgeing so quick

Saturdays

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanKirby View Post
No I'm saying Dota in gameplay is leagues ahead of league, but the players in Dota just ruin it not that it's great here but at least I can get into a match and have a 5v5
You don't play dota enough then... if there is a leaver for w/e reason you don't waste your time through 20 mins of painful gaming experience, instead 5 mins in you just leave and find another que. Its the little things that dota 2 that I really enjoy the most from dota 2 like having on the spot ingame hero guides to give you a basic idea of how to maybe build a hero by top popular players. Other things are for example... Valve knows it will take about 2-3 or so minutes usually to find a game so they provide several minigames in case you're not doing anything to burn time till que pops.Also their client for their game is amazing and i have never had to worry about crashes.. just a few little things that I enjoy from dota 2, however i still play league more because i've spent far more money in this game

Zaldrohiir

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheBobCat View Post
It has nothing to do with the playerbase. Dota just has a way higher learning curve and is smoother and easier to read in the aesthetics department.
I háve to disagree here.

SP3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2013

That's actually bullsh*t.

League is more successful because it became publicly accessible way before dota 2. The original dota and dota all stars weren't independent games, so their success would always be limited. If roles were reversed and dota 2 were released in 2009 while league would still be in a closed beta to the day, you can be your sweet ass dota would be the most successful.