Explanation of League System

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaelshazar

05-10-2013

Dear Riot / League of Legends Fanbase,

In my recent entry into the League system and after reading through every FAQ I could find I have one question:

Why am I not only playing against players that are in my division?

It was stated in the FAQ:

"Will I only be matched against opponents in my league?
No. Matchmaking isnít affected by your league, and youíll still be competing against all opponents of your skill level in the League of Legends community. Your league measures your progress against a set of opponents of similar skill level, but doesnít restrict competition solely to those players."

"Skill level", I assume is based loosely on the following statement from Riot:

"Tiers and divisions also provide milestones and manageable goals you can strive to achieve at your skill level. Through leagues we can move away from focusing on a single number as the core indicator of a playerís skill, and instead move toward something more compelling: competition on a small ladder with a relatable number of opponents."

I am assuming that the ladders they are referring to are the divisions that everyone is in (ie Bronze 3, Silver 2, Diamond 5, etc). If that is the case and Riot fully intends for players to be teamed with and play against other players of their skill levels, why am I constantly being placed in matches with people that either higher or lower than I am in divisions? I thought that the reason why Riot introduced the League system was, as stated in the first line of the statement above, to provide "manageable goals you can strive to achieve at your skill level."

Well Riot/Forum, I ask you. How am I supposed to achieve these "manageable goals" if you constantly put walls in front of me and hurdles in my way that I cannot hope to achieve? I understand the idea of "adapt and overcome" and pushing to your limits when you're trying to improve, but with the environment and culture that League of Legends has, these ideals are flawed.

Please, for the love of god, someone confirm (be it Riot, a rep from Riot or a knowledgeable forum poster) the point behind the League system and how it actually works. This question is on the minds of many many players and it needs to be answered.

Thank you Riot / Forum Posters.

- Kaelshazar

Scoot

05-10-2013

inb4 the same youtube video that is constantly spammed to people that ask about the league system
oh wait
it's here already
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdG-FzA5-A

Kaelshazar

05-11-2013

That video does a great summation of the way it works, but it still doesn't answer the question of why we are not only playing against people within our tier and division. The hidden ELO rating is still a big problem in matchmaking. A Silver player should not be going against a bronze player.

Feleas

05-11-2013

I agree, I'm just about 50% chance win rate in ranked and I'm always teamed AGAINST silver 4-1 players. very rarely do I got a bronze player on the enemy team, and MAYBE one person on my team is silver.

Cavo

05-11-2013

Why can't you guys understand that having higher tier players on the opposite team is a good thing? It means your mmr is higher so you will climb faster. It means you play against better players so you have the opportunity to learn and improve. If you wanna play against nothing but bronze players all day I guarantee you, you will only get worse at this game.