How to build a Master Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Red Bamboo

05-09-2013

Master Yi is a pretty good champion despite people who don't know how to build or use him telling me that I am using him wrong. Master Yi has two roles that he is really good at. If Master Yi is not good at these two roles, then he is being built wrong and will work against the team using him. Master Yi is a cheap champion, but, one of the most powerful and probably the foundation of your IP income and EXP income, as you will win most games with him and he will be your foundation to your account, unless you want to choose a different champion that depends on their team to win and find out quickly how much your team doesn't care.

1. Assassinating specific champions
When a champion strays from the pack and they are not a tank, Master Yi needs to be able to obliterate them. If Master Yi can't solo a champion which isn't tanky in any way, then Master Yi is garbage. Master Yi can also get penta kills when he picks off team members in team fights and no one has focus on him. Don't believe me? Try playing on my level.

2.Backdoor Tactic
Master Yi can backdoor. Backdoor might be interpreted by some as taking a lane apart quickly while no one is watching, but, it is also going behind the enemy in an occupied lane to attack their base directly and destroy it before they return. Call it cheap or whatever you want to call it, but, the bottom line is that winning a game is winning. If you don't play to win and you are playing in a team of people trying to win, you probably shouldn't be playing or be banned for ruining the experience of others.

How I build my Master Yi
First off, Master Yi should get boots and turn them into Berserker's Greaves. Focus on one item at a time. Do not play offensively or you will lose in the long run anyway and be useless if you do play too offensively early game. Early game can destroy the whole game.

Next you want to focus on getting two phantom dancers and farming your own lane. By the time you reach level 6, you should have Berserker's Greaves. You should not have to worry about any other item at this moment and it would defeat Master Yi's build to do so. Champions that can regain hp or temperarily become invincible will be your enemy. Don't worry too much about enemies which stop you from moving unless they stun you, as you can alpha strike even if you get caught. These Phantom Dancers will allow you to backdoor a base quick by my definition. The tactic is to win, not to get the most kills. You can kill 100 enemies in a game and if you get aced with a full team at level 18, its good game for your team. Here during this phase of the build, you are allowed to ignore team maters and go to a lane to farm gold off creeps, switching lanes to avoid getting ganked while farming. This will waste the enemies time and prevent them from getting gold while your team attempt to plan around this.

The last item you want to get is blood luster swords. Three blood luster swords is all you should need after this. Your build is complete after this. Any champion you cannot solo after getting three blood luster swords if the game is still going, you probably should avoid if it isn't a team fight. You can backdoor the base really quick now and are the most valuable member of your team. If you die, the team can lose the game. If you show off, the team can lose the game. You alone can walk behind the enemies, Juke them, and wreck their base. The only other member of the team that can do the same thing as master yi and run faster, is Teemo. Teemo can turn his foot sideways and kick master yi's rear end baddaze.

Warning: If you put any other items in this build or alter anything, you are going to destroy the two roles master yi has. Do not buy wards, do not listen to other team members telling you how to do what you should know how to do. Go whatever lane you want except middle lane. Hug towers until level 6 and do not kill someone if you think they might get away, as it is a waste of time. Do not kill yourself killing someone if they have died 4 or more times, because that means they are worth less then a wave of minions.

Masteries and Runes
All your runes need to add critical chance to your attack. If all you have is critical chance attack tier 3 runes, you will start with a 16 percent chance of critical attack. When you lane with an enemy, attack till your special passive melee ends up stacking to 7 and wait. If your enemy attacks, you can do a critical double attack, which will completely devastate your enemy at the beginning of the game.

Masteries should be around offense which increase the odds of a crit, damage, movement speed, or whatever. Don't worry about armor penetration or ability power. Throw the rest into utility and use the two spells "Teleportation" and "Revive". Revive and teleportation are very important. The worst thing that you can do as master yi is set up a ward in their base and teleport to it in order to backdoor their base while they are not looking. This can end the game. You will only lose with this build if someone else is using it, you get ganked hard early as the entire enemy team uses focus on you and never quits you the whole game while your team mates sit there and treat a player game as if it is a bot game, Teemo touches you inappropriately, or you were playing too defensively and gathered no experience the entire match.

Things to note
1. Muting your entire team at the beginning of the game when you get use to playing master yi can actually be benificial to the team, as the only thing the teams comments can do is convince you to go against the purpose of your role.

2. You are an assassin, not a team fighter. You can finish off an entire team when they are mostly weak. Do not go and save your team mates unless you have to. If your team mates were ignorant and put too much offense into a lane and all died while the enemy wrecks your turrets, there is nothing you can do about it and doing something about it will only cause you to die. Ignore it, it is not your fault. Your team will point the finger at you, but, the only thing you could of done about it is die.

3. AP master yi's generally die quickly if you attack them first. If you get attacked first by another master yi, you probably are going to die. Do not alpha strike to get away from a master yi unless there is only one other enemy in front of your escape route, or else you will just waste time enemy hopping and your opponents will catch up.

4. People do not like this build because they either do not understand what backdoor means or how you can win a fight without your entire team to back you up(for them, they probably believe the same about real life), or they have lost to a master yi that used this build. If you have not used this build and played this build verbatim, you have no room to talk. Master Yi's ultimate allows him to not be slowed by enemy attacks, which is why backdoor is his specialty as he can escape quick unless he gets stunned. Others who want to solo you in a match using a champion that regains hp or is a tank on a map that doesn't allow you to buy items, normally attempt to justify that master yi is a bad champion by doing this. If it is a 1v1 on a map that doesn't let you access the shop unless you are dead, you will lose because this build only works with items that snow ball quick as long as you can purchase them when you need them or run to the base because low hp.

5. You know your role, your friends do not. Do what you do and do not HELP someone unless they are close and you can 1v1 that champion chasing them, or else you will just die with your friend, who will not take the time to help you. Do not initiate group fights unless your team CHOOSES to move in for the group fight and die when you were trying to assassinate someone. Do not hesitate to kill some moron trying to solo a lane, even if they are master yi, because remember who you are, MASTER YI!!!

05-09-2013

AP Yi or GTFO

Red Bamboo

05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426287 View Post
AP Yi or GTFO
You mean the yi that normally dies to auto attacks?

Cspence1395

05-09-2013

that is the dumbest item build ive ever seen

Bara No Toge

05-09-2013

I like to build anything with lifesteal (usually Ravenous), Yomu's Ghostblad, and Sword of the Divine.
Just mash E, R, Sword, and Yomu's for massive crit. Because of the garunteed crit due to sword of the divine if you activate ravenous, it will place 50% of the crit you deal on others nearby.
I've 3 hit someone and got a refresh so that i went on to penta the team.
Of course i needed other items to keep my speed boost up (phantom dancer) and my damage (infinity edge), but majority of the time you can wreck any ONE person with that combo.
On top of that you can pretty much solo a turret with ult and yomu at level 14 due to your total attack speed.

also, you wont win anything other than turret pushing with TWO phantom dancers. you'll need damage. your early game sucks bro

Trrees

05-09-2013

lolwhat 2 phantom dancers early?

doomed2death

05-09-2013

"Don't listen to your team or buy wards" and "don't change your build" is stupid. Utterly stupid.

EVERYONE wards. I've never met a player above Gold V that doesn't tell me everyone should ward. Why? Because EVERYONE WARDS. You NEED vision-even to backdoor.

And builds are situational; if you're aren't adapting, you're losing.

Red Bamboo

05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed2death View Post
"Don't listen to your team or buy wards" and "don't change your build" is stupid. Utterly stupid.

EVERYONE wards. I've never met a player above Gold V that doesn't tell me everyone should ward. Why? Because EVERYONE WARDS. You NEED vision-even to backdoor.

And builds are situational; if you're aren't adapting, you're losing.
Has yet to fail me.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bamboo View Post
Has yet to fail me.

You're level 26.