Lack of AP Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrushedMentality

05-09-2013

Is it me or is there a serious lack of AP champions in play? I mean, in general the AD champions run this game... while in the current meta, there seems to be a tank, support, adc, Ap mid, and jungler... out of those 5, one is AP. Maybe two if you could the support or fiddle or something jungles... but overall, most of the players seem to be AD based.

Could we change this up a bit? I'm not sure why... maybe it is just the fact that most people play AD as its easier... though I have seen some AP teams wreck.

Thoughts? Is it the champion base? Is AP just there so the enemy team HAS to think about MR instead of insta-stacking armor? Is it just my paranoia? Or should I forget about a 50/50 split in champions? Or is this just how most of the players in solo queue roll?

TealNinje

05-09-2013

You can run a magic DPS bottom (Teemo, AP Miss Fortune, AP Varus), although their scaling will taper off at end game. You can also run a magic damage bruiser top (Vladimir, Rumble, Gragas). There's even magic damage junglers (Amumu, Maokai, Fiddlebricks.)

There's options available, it's all about making sure you're not hurting your team with your champion pick. Gragas, for instance, is never a bad pick, because you can always stick an Athene's Unholy Grail on him with CDR runes and have a disengage ult available nearly all the time while being ridiculously hard to ctch.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2013

It is a trade off, AD is general normally easier to play while AP normally gets more utility. Look at Sej, Ahri, and Kennen.

Nakage

Master Recruiter

05-09-2013

Riot has been pretty good about keeping the number of magic damage champs equal to the number of physical damage champs. If you're talking about champs that strictly build AP, there's ~15-25. Champs that build AP and tank, there's also ~20-25, and there's also the champs who just do mostly magic damage and more than likely won't build AP, you can count ~20 more champs (including supports of course).

It's not so much the fact that there isn't a variety of magic damage champs more than the fact that the meta demands AD. AP champs are better in the early game, but people are so set that winning in the early game is such a rare occurrence that it isn't worth risking your late game over it.

So... Blame the meta.