Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Linux Beta since Mac is Live

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FOE Freya

05-09-2013

Will Riot start any work on a Linux client now that the Mac client is live I would really like to stop using Windows..............

Amy Sery

05-09-2013

I'm not sure because I don't have Linux, but doesn't LoL work there fine already? The inner part of Apple is Linux, the Macs operate on that.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-09-2013

As a software developer, I can tell you that while anything is possible, I wouldn't hold your breath. The biggest hurtle to a native Linux client is Adobe AIR, which is used to write the patcher and launcher. Adobe discontinued support for Adobe AIR for Linux desktops on June 14 2011.

Despite the negative community feelings towards the AIR launcher, they seem to like it, and have expressed no interest in replacing it. The best argument I saw was that they'd rather spend their finite developer resources on improving the actual game, and not replacing a working launcher system that has no impact on gameplay.

The biggest counterpoint to their stance is that if they rewrote the launcher as part of the game, they could load the game resources at launch of the client, rather than after champion selection. It would almost eliminate the champion loading screen.

While I'm sure there are plenty of players who'd love to play the game on Linux, I'm not sure if that number approaches something that would offset the development cost. Rather than spending resources on a native Linux port, they might be better served creating an official emulated client, much like the original mac client used to be before they scrapped it. If it turns out that enough Linux players start using this client, it might give them a financial incentive to make a native port.

For the foreseeable future, you're stuck emulating it using WINE on Linux, or running a windows virtual machine.

Dryad Soraka

05-10-2013

linux has like 0% market share, so no