Need Advice on What Laptop to Buy

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChiSqrd

05-11-2013

I'm looking to get either a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro. This will be primarily for school since I have an iMac at home already. Just want to know how much of a difference playing this game will be in terms of FPS and how high I can turn my graphics with either an i5 or i7 core, and 4 GB, or 8 GB or RAM. Please help.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-11-2013

Right now is a particularly bad time to buy a laptop. Intel's new chips are out soon, and you're looking at double the integrated gpu performance of current chips, and incredible battery life.

Apple is rumored to be announcing its updated laptops in June. Definitely wait if you can.

That said, hopefully some laptop gamers will post their settings and frame rate for you to look at. You can also copy the game to a USB stick, walk into an Apple Store, and ask them if you can test out LoL on a machine or two before you buy one; I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

FreakinUnoriginl

05-11-2013

If you're thinking of getting a 15" MacBook Pro then that has a GT 650M (mine has 1GB of VRAM, but the base configuration had 512MB last I checked). I've got fairly stable 50+ FPS at mostly high settings at 1920x1200 (external monitor).

If you were thinking of the 13" MacBook Pro (or either size Air) then Dataslave's got the right advice to wait. Those models use Intel's integrated graphics. Right now that's the HD 4000. But in June we get the next generation of Core processors, and with them at the low end is HD 5000, and the mid/"high" end is Iris and Iris Pro. Regardless of which GPU ends up in which MacBook, it should be an improvement over the current options.

If you're mostly going to be using this as your on-the-go/at-school computer then a MacBook Air would make the most sense, unless you're in graphic design or something else requiring some muscle.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

05-11-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

In my opinion, get the best macbook you can. They are notoriously hard to upgrade and to get the most years out of it you'll want the bleeding edge of tech. However, dataslave is right. If you can wait for Apple's next models you can get the current ones on the cheap or go with the newer even more powerful ones.

UdyrPls

05-11-2013

Does it have to be an Apple product cause there are way more gaming specific labtops available for a reasonable price that can run LoL way more efficiently and still let you do your homework

EmnestyX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2013

You should look into the Alienware laptops as they are around the same price as a high end macbook, the trade off though is power for portability.

xXCrazyBarksXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2013

If your still here, the graphics performance you get from i5 to i7 is 1-5fps.
only get the i7 if you are into video editing. it only offers more cores, which most normal games like league don't use

Travistyse

05-11-2013

Not to sound cancerous or terrible but.. why do people get apple's computers? I understand the mobile devices (I'll never do anything but iPhone.. though by the looks of things I may sustain off of a 4s running iOS 5 for the rest of my life.. >.> They really screwed the pooch on the 5 and iOS 6 imo) but the software and hardware limitations of the laptops and desktops always led me to believe the only reason people got them was because that was their first computer and they never decided to change, or they got the computer for the screen. That aside, I'd like to mention that the reason I asked this question is because Intel's integrated graphics are terrible for gaming, (my friend's "high end" laptop can't play League on the lowest settings above 6 fps) whereas AMD's chips are fantastic for it by comparison (my $400 17" Acer Aspire with an A6 chip could run League on the highest settings at 60fps while running a teamspeak server and my browser with like. 100 tabs open. At the same time. But my laptop before that, with an intel chip, would overheat while playing Diablo 2 at the lowest settings at ~16 fps. With a laptop fan under it, and a full sized fan blowing on it).

>.> I would never recommend an Intel integrated chipset for gaming. When it comes to desktops where you'll have an actual graphics card? **** yeah, Intel's the best c: But when it comes to integrated graphics, they're behind the curve. Badly.

PixelOrange

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travistyse View Post
>.> I would never recommend an Intel integrated chipset for gaming. When it comes to desktops where you'll have an actual graphics card? **** yeah, Intel's the best c: But when it comes to integrated graphics, they're behind the curve. Badly.
You are aware that the latest Intel Integrated Graphics are able to run pretty much any current game, correct? Sure, you have to turn the graphics down, but they are much better than they used to be.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...d.73567.0.html

NakedGranny

05-11-2013

There's more games than just LoL.

And ... gaming on a Mac? LOL!

Remember that there's decades of PC gaming backlog you might want to try or play again. Or miss out on entirely. Most of the universally-agreed-upon "best games of all time" have been PC games.

Like Torment. And Baldur's Gate 2. And NWN 1/2... Not to mention all the shooters that simply play so much better with a mouse and keyboard but were never released on the Mac.