An ancient mystery in Runeterra

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Giant Waffle

05-08-2013

Hrmm..
The Ionian wood carving is what stands out the most to me.
If I recall correctly, Varus was once sentt to guard an ancient Ionian temple that stood guard over a dark corruption. After a Noxian attack, he communed with the corrupt powers to gain the strength needed to avenge his Ionian kinsmen.
Could that corruption be tied to this dark figure?

We can assume to some degree that the figure was present in Ionia at some point in time.
If the corruption Varus once guarded is a result of this dark figure's presence, the temple or even Varus himself may hold some important clues.

AbiwonKenabi

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaperOfSouls View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, the second Frozen Watcher has been revealed.
Second Frozen Watcher? I wasn't aware the first was even revealed; Lissandra is just a "vassal" of sorts.

Besides, I have my reservations about this champ being related to the watchers at all. I definitely see some similarities, but there are some flaws: like he doesn't look much like the statues that line the Howling Abyss, which are supposedly watchers. Plus, Ezreal states that this being probably predates the Watchers; he also appears all over the world, not just Freljord, and the Watchers haven't been seen in centuries...furthermore, the most recent artifact depicting this guy, Ez found in Demacia, not Freljord. If a Watcher had returned, they would most likely start in the place they were defeated in: Freljord.

Also, from what we know, this guy doesn't just "freeze everything" like the Watchers apparently want; he appears to assist the losing side of a battle and turn the tides. Doesn't sound very Watcher-like to me, more like a god or patron of war.

Jarvan ÍV

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunkwugga View Post
He said he'd return it when he was done with it, so don't worry. I also like how you're not even trying to disprove my allegations or even defend yourself.
My crown and my weapon looks alike. It's not exactly the most original design. Swords, lances, and crowns have been made for thousands of years, in history some are bound to look similar. We are not linked in anyway besides vaguely similar weapon and armor.

Brugha

05-08-2013

inb4 Ionian champion, and a ionian theme patch

Beetlecraft

05-08-2013

Read Tryndamere's lore.
The "dark figure" could be him.

Leboniz

05-08-2013

Well there are multiple interesting things about all of these relics.

The Coins: Societies only put things on their coins that they want to be associated with/ are very important to them. It is their money and have a huge part of everyday use so something on them is normally iconic to the culture in someway. I wonder where those coins are from?

The Urn: The shape of the vase is an amphora though the white was is very different. The amphora was mostly used for storage of liquids for household use like wine or olive oil and in some cases such as at the Panathenaic Games would be used as a prize. For funerals or at grave sites the Greeks used lychethos (lychethoi plural) instead. Both can be seen in the attachment. Not sure how it plays out in Runeterra but the latter are the ones that would be washed white, which signifies the use as a funeral marker.

The Stained Glass: I'm just amazed that you borrowed that in one piece. Though all the other stories of bloodshed make it a very odd piece to have in some kind of Demacian church.

The Statue: I'm curious about the material of the statue. The wings look quite thin and it appears to have remarkable craftsmanship. Maybe the stone is extremely hard but there are a lot of unsupported extremities that could possibly break off due to their own weight.

The Dagger and The Book: These have two different sides of interactions with whatever these are images of. Both sides though pointed to extreme bloodshed seeming to summon whatever it is and then turning the tide of the battle with even more bloodshed. Maybe get in touch with Vlad, he seems to know a thing or two about blood. Maybe he'll have an idea.

The Woodblock: What I found most interesting about the wood block was how where the figure lies in the block is the only section that is stained a different color. The wood almost looks like a different kind of wood. The figure seems to be the only thing casting a shadow in the block as well. Or possibly it crawled its way into the woodblock and tainted where it entered the image? I dunno. And there is the possible blood connection with the eyes. One thing to remember in this case since all of the feature of the print would most likely be from this block, from a whole picture being there, the resulting print would only be one color. If printed would the possible taint somehow bleed over to the image?

The Statue Sketch: The mountains in the background seem unremarkable but one of them seems to have a rather large plateau for a peak. Is this identifiable? Also under the smoke in the Lower Right of the sketch there seems to be the base to a pillar or column that the statue is built almost out of.

The compass: I mostly just have a question about the compass. The needle is all black. How does he know which way North is using just that?

AnthonySolaris

05-08-2013

Clearly this figure is Jarvan I.
And his abilities probably scale based on the number of friendlies compared to enemies in a radius.
Just make sure you guys don't make him op enough to solo the entire enemy team 1 v 5.

MYDARKESTFEAR

05-08-2013

The one behind the magnifying glass are oddly similar to modern summoners... Was it some kind of primitive "institute of war"?

AndurilSting92

05-08-2013

In light of all these discoveries, I decided to sift through all my great grandma's stuff to see if she had anything that might be helpful. I wasn't really finding anything...until I found an old scroll. I unraveled it to see a short poem. I thought nothing of it until I saw in the lower right hand, a symbol. I looked closer and it was the same shape as the sword I had seen on all these artifacts. So I read the poem:

"From the chasms of darkness shall be woken, an evil from the shadows shall spring, the doom of men has been spoken, the doom-blade again shall be king."

Good luck Ez

hkgpeanut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

Ezreal, did you ask Hecarim for any opinion?
You talk about the dark figure appear in different war in the Runeterra,
Maybe the Shadow of War can tell you something about his... "friend"?