How to build a hostile Soraka?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bzy

05-08-2013

Hi guys, I'm back with yet again another Soraka thread. The last one was me asking whether or not it was even possible for her to kill an enemy on her own. And after reading through some of the replies I had received, it made me curious as to how much DPS Soraka is actually capable of.

So I was wondering, If I want to build Soraka as more of an AP Carry, what should I build on her? I'm not sure how I should prioritize things such as CDR, MPen, AP, Mana, etc etc. I'm also wondering what masteries I should use. Since I'm planning on being more fed than a usual Soraka would be, should I even bother building gp10? I just want to make Soraka a stronk little unicorn that can still pack some decent utility.

Comments/replies/feedback = awesome possum!

MMHSTerror

05-08-2013

I'd go with the following:

Circumstantial Boots
Rabadon's Deathcap
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Will of the Ancients
Rod of Ages

Athene's Unholy Grail / Zhonya's Hourglass / Lich Bane / Rod of Ages
Last item depends on situation and what you want to do, Starcall can Proc Lich Bane every 2 casts so that might be good.
Generally since you're not a burst mage, you want to survive while starcalling. Magic pen isn't very helpful since you're effectively weakening the stat with every Q hit

Anachronity

05-08-2013

Once they figure out that you're trying to stack starcall Mres reduction, they're going to start baiting you. Trying to stack the Mres reduction is a little bit of a trap, I think, just because it takes so long.

Soraka doesn't have any sort of slow or chasing potential to keep stacking if they don't want to let you, and I don't think a Rylai's would be enough to fix that.

Still it's always fun to try, especially since Soraka is the only champion who could reasonably get someone into negatives on defenses.

Keitterman

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMHSTerror View Post
Mpen isn't very helpful since you're effectively weakening the stat with every Q hit
Actually since the change to priority, mixing the two pen types is very effective. If you build some %mpen, then your flat mPen is going to skyrocket your damage.

MMHSTerror

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitterman View Post
Actually since the change to priority, mixing the two pen types is very effective. If you build some %mpen, then your flat mPen is going to skyrocket your damage.
Mpen =/= Mreduction
Logically you wouldn't be able to pen something that isn't there.
If you had 35% pen
200 reduced to 100
You wouldn't pen 70 off that remaining 100, you'd pen 35% of the remaining

AcornGames

05-08-2013

This belongs in the Guides and Strategies forums.

AP Soraka is actually a really fun champ to play. Her silence and Starfall spam can shut down ALOT of standard AP carries you might see Mid. Her farm is also crazy good once you get a couple points into Starfall. The problem is that your lane will be pushed so youll be targeted for ganks a lot.

This is what I use when I play her;
Runes
-AP Glyphs
-Armor Seals
-Magic Pen Marks
-Magic Pen or AP Quints. You can also stick with the Gold Quints because more gold is always good.

Masteries are about preference. I like 9-21-0 or 0-21-9

Item Build
- RoA ( Usually first item I build because you want it very early to make the most of it.
- Ryalias
- Situational boots
After that it depends. I usually build her tankier, and with CDR if I can.
-Morellonomicon Is a good item on her because now her Starfall gives a slow, and applies grievous wounds ( assuming you bough Ryalias )

For tankier items Frozen Heart or Randuins is pretty good,

Late game you get a Starfall that hits around 250-300 damage every 1.5-2 seconds, which also applies a slow and grievous wounds Potentially to their ENTIRE team. If they try to run away you can give an even stronger slow by targeting someone with your silence. ( because its a single target ability )

Often they'll try to focus you down because "lol its just Soraka" but youll have around 3k hp and should survive almost every teamfight

RadiantPyrophore

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMHSTerror View Post
Mpen =/= Mreduction
Logically you wouldn't be able to pen something that isn't there.
If you had 35% pen
200 reduced to 100
You wouldn't pen 70 off that remaining 100, you'd pen 35% of the remaining
Yeah, but the pen applies before the reduction? So you reduce off of the amount after penetration.

Bzy

05-08-2013

Soo if I only wanted to build one, either Penetration or Reduction, which one would be the best and why? Juggling between the 2 sounds very confusing

RadiantPyrophore

05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figluni View Post
Soo if I only wanted to build one, either Penetration or Reduction, which one would be the best and why? Juggling between the 2 sounds very confusing
Penetration can be found in percentages, which are super effective versus resists higher than, say, 120-150 ish, reduction is super effective against small amounts from squishies that didn't build resists, as well as being effective against the smaller amounts that are left after percentage penetration.

The big difference though? Penetration is you penetrating their armor, reduction is you reducing their armor against damage from all sources.

EDIT: Nevermind, reduction applies first in the calculation. The only major differences are that:

A: Reduction applies first, so try to get % reduction if you are a dps champ.
B: Reduction amplifies all damage of that damage type vs that target instead of just your damage. This also reduces effects that scale off of that stat on that champion, such as Galio, who will always hate Soraka for putting him at less AP than the items he has built, and Rammus, who certainly has no love for Xin.

MMHSTerror

05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantPyrophore View Post
Yeah, but the pen applies before the reduction? So you reduce off of the amount after penetration.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_penetration

I don't even know how you could think penetration would apply first. How could you penetrate something that isn't there?