Jax Trinity Force or Rageblade?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

warriorbbb

05-07-2013

Rageblade works extremely well with his passive and ultimate to deal large amounts of damage.

On the other hand, Trinity Force has Spellblade, which works really well with his W.

Rageblade gives slightly higher AP and AD, while Trinity Force gives many other stats Jax could use, such as attack speed (also good with his passive and ultimate), movement speed, health, mana, and Icy, which should apply at least once with Jax's passive.

In my opinion Trinity Force is the better option, but I am torn between the two items. Can anyone provide help on this? Thanks!

Doct0r Phil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2013

Trinity is such a good item on Jax. Hands down it's the better item. Lol, instead of me explaining the stats and benefits, just read em both side by side and yo will see why.

Look at it this way, Trinity gives slightly less damage overall (but with the sheen proc/crit chance it can be debated) but if you add in extra ms, a chance to slow, some health and mana, there is no question.

Don't forget that each piece of Trinity is helpful during the build process. the RB build just gives you ap and ad.

SavageLoL

05-07-2013

bork

Geminex

05-08-2013

Why not just have both? : o
Rageblade gives you a huge amount of stats, especially when you trigger the surge passive. And Jax can make excellent use of all those stats! In terms of power, trinity force still takes the lead, but keep in mind that trinity force costs as much as one and a half rageblades. I like rageblade as my second item, after bilgewater cutlass, generally, but I tend to build both.

I like delaying on Triforce a bit, because both its spellblade passive and phage procs are much stronger once you're a bit higher-level and have more attack speed. It's a powerful allround item but for my first 2 items, I like to have a bit more focus.

Sparkling Jarate

05-08-2013

Now when I look at it, Rageblade seems to be an item for Jax when he's behind. I wish Riot would give Hybrids better itemization, but it looks like we won't see that possibility until Season 4.

paShadoWn

05-08-2013

Jax haves mana problems so Sheen as first item is a reasonable choice

warriorbbb

05-08-2013

Thanks everyone !

And for whoever asked about why not both, then yeah. I do plan on getting both, but my build includes two defensive items as the 3rd and 4th full items, because I like tankier champions, and THEN the other item.

So the full build would be Berserker Greaves, Trinity Force (following your recommendation), situational resist+HP item, Frozen Mallet/Warmog's Armor (or another situational resist item), then Rageblade, then finally something else.

Anyway, as for the last item, would you recommend another defensive item, or something offensive? I mean, obviously, if my team consists of four squishies, I'd take a defensive item, but assuming I am alongside another bruiser building for tanky DPS, what would you recommend?

Would Hextech Gunblade make a viable item on him, or should I take something else, or just take a Warmog's Armor?

And how viable is jungle Jax?

Thanks in advance!

Shallow Cubes

05-08-2013

Read my post in this thread *click me*

See my post in that thread. As I explain in every one of my champ guides in the guide forum, your build will rarely ever be static. A lot of it depends on team compositions, who gets fed, and whether or not you are ahead/behind in the game.

Addendum to what you'll read in that thread:
Itemizing into Bilgewater Cutlass will give you the option to take BotRK or Gunblade later on. Build accordingly to what you need to address the enemy team. You can end up with both, but usually what you get first will be what benefits you the most ideally...

And to address a question in your last post...
Hextech is not only viable on Jax. It is core. Or it was core until BotRK came out. I still feel as though it is core since it suits hybrid characters perfectly. Most people underrate the spell vamp on there, but Jax does a hefty amount between his W and R procs. Add on the fact that you can itemize into AD / AS or AP / AS depending on what the enemy does defensively and Hextech will still help you either way.

Just remember to use the active. It is so good on Jax.

Further addendums:
Trinity Force is a good item on Jax if you can itemize into it, but you'd have to be going super late game to attain core items prior to this (since it's expensive). Usually people will end up at least getting Sheen for the proc to make his W hit like a truck. Iceborn Gauntlet is also a good situation choice depending on what you need.

And as for boots... If you feel gutsy or are ahead, you can opt for Boots of Mobility instead to give you more ganking power. The speed will help you move in on a lane, even if it happens to be warded, assuming you are at least coming from a decent route opening.