Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Guardians Horn discussion time.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

W3rDGotMilk

05-06-2013

So now that its been out for a good long while and we've got a chance to see how it works lets have us a good old fashioned screaming, downvoting, "erebody is a noob who disagrees" conversation.

My personal thoughts are it should only be bought at level 3 IF
1. your team already has a decent healer (sona, alistar, maybe soraka.) OR someone else is already starting Emblem of Valor
2. You are a solid early game melee initiator (voli, rammus, singed, shen...)
3. You are a decent/mediocre melee champion on a team who has an insanely good early game vs a team with a weak early game. In this case the goal is to do what you can to help your team end the game quickly and sustain be damned!

My reasoning for this is pretty simple, the Philosopher stone / Emblem of Valor start is stronger in the long run because of the massive health regen you will have yourself + health regen to the team. If you are considering buying Guardian Horn at level 3 then obviously you are a champion who has a weak early game/team fight ability (other than initiation) and a very strong late game presence. This means you want to play safe early and get to the point where you are a powerful presence in the game. This wont happen if you or your team are diving and dying a lot early. Remember, guardian horn puts you in the other teams harass range, if you initiate with it and it fails you initiated for the other team.

Now most of you are probably thinking I'm a moron and Guardian Horn is OP and I agree with you about both of those assumptions. Guardian Horn is a great item but typically only after Emblem of Valor. I purchase it on my first trip back to the fountain then use it for as long as I possibly can (typically the game ends before I have to sell it for a better item.)

Discussion and using facts to back up I'm wrong GO!

Warrrrax

05-06-2013

You seem to be thinking its Guardian OR Aegis/Emblem. In most cases there will be more than 1 tank/melee dude. So 1 always takes Emblem, other can consider guardian.

IF you are the only Aegis carrier, then yeah...start with Emblem.
ELSE, consider the following 3 options
a) Emblem anyways for double aegis - You get full aegis effect on yourself including aura, AND you share the aura with the other Aegis carrier, plus provide backup-Aegis aura to others.
b) Philo Stone - good if you have something to do with the mana. Olaf tosses Axes for example.
c) Emblem AND Philo - If movespeed you can live without and you can use the mana. Maybe an Alistar that spams heals but doesnt need the MS quite so much since he can initiate very well at first.
d) horn - For those that dont need much mana but would like the sustain plus survival so they can Initiate and survive the retreat (a Xin might consider horn).

Theres not a whole heck of a lot of HP5 items nowdays, where the starting choices are pretty much:
Philo
Horn
Emblem to Aegis (and technically to crappy Banner of Command)
Dorans Shield
Rejuv to Locket
Rejuv to Tiamat

W3rDGotMilk

05-06-2013

thats pretty much exactly what i said

Warrrrax

05-06-2013

Thats why I gave you +1 and pontificated a bit. :-)

EndlessHelix

05-06-2013

I have to say that I'm not a giant fan of the Horn. In my admittedly limited experience it's a bit of a trap. Starting boots/Giants Belt on Shen/Wukong/Sejuani/Olaf/etc. etc. is just way more efficient. Getting a faster Randuins or Sunfire is better for the team. Generally, I find simply investing more toward waveclear and straight HP allows melee champions the time to scale.

If I'm up against a team of nothing but spammers (Karthus, Cassiopeia, Ryze), I would probably pick it up on aggressive support characters (Leona, Alistar, Taric) early- if there's other characters that can carry a Bulwark.

Warrrrax

05-06-2013

You go boots,belt? With no pots or HP regen of any kind?

Zupekadia

05-06-2013

I'm not sure what to think of Guardian's Horn right now. I usually skip it in favor of other items and I haven't seen the full potential of it yet. Maybe I should start using it and learning its pros and cons.

Zaneysed

05-06-2013

My problem with the horn is that I keep forgetting how quick the cool down is and don't use it. that's proably my fault though.

Generally I start building aegis early game if i'm a tanky melee like udyr so I can at least support my team for the first half of the game. If I am playing voli or another good initiator I generally go a more health regen route similar to the one in the OP with lots of pots and Emblem of Valor.

W3rDGotMilk

05-06-2013

It is pretty hard to keep track of the cooldown especially with seconds ticking off when the other team uses abilities. I bound the thumb mouse button to it and i just click it every couple seconds during a fight.

Warmeat

05-07-2013

it depends, lets not forget that the Guardian horn is damage midigation and a peeling item, i think it great on a guy like shen, he can use his taunt, pop horn and run the hell out as the enemys dps him and your team dps who is dps you as you run to saftey and if the enemy was close they probably help reduce the cooldown of it, it comes down to if you will actually use the use, if you forget alot just go something else, if your good at using your items asap then buy it.20 mr and 20armor early game is big so it helps if you use it alot early game to midigate pokes and peel if you need to.i also think no one should get boots early, save 175 for 5 hp pots, they are huge early game on this map. i hate players who never buy pots and after a few pokes they are posted up on our tower like gargoyles.