For Riot: A Summary of Lag/Ping Issues

1234511 ... 20
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hope19

05-05-2013

I'm not sure if you have seen all of the threads that we have been bumping but many people have been experiencing issues with unplayable lag and high pings and I've decided I will act as the voice of the people and make a summary of the problems to make your job easier.

These issues have gone on for about 6 days now (since the Freljord patch) and has caused many of us to be unable to play the game to our full potential. I think many will agree with me when I say it is simply not fun to play league with a handicap. Entering every game knowing that you are unable to outplay people because of something that we have no control over. That feeling of anti-fun is only amplified when you try to explain that you are lagging, and everyone else has a perfect connection and refuses to believe you or simply tells you to "not play". Therefore the only fix is to not play, post on the support forums, bump threads for hours, and wait, and that is what we have done. Well during this long wait I have read every single lag/ping related post from the past 6 days and I'm going to sum up everything I have learned about the issue and what may be causing them in hopes of helping you guys fix this.

Now from what I understand there are about three different issues going on:

• People like me, who start out the every game with normal ping, only to have it start spiking at about 2 minutes. The ping tends to get higher and higher as the game goes on, and seems to get very bad in combat. Spikes are very frequent and can last anywhere from 1 second to 30 seconds.
  • People who normally have low ping and have ping about 100 higher than normal, but without spikes. Simply abnormally high ping.
  • People who are lagging but see no change in their ping or FPS. They often experience teleporting and a lack of minion health and champion health bars as well as the dreaded "attempting to reconnect" box.

Now I'm going to try to list what I've learned about the issues so far:
  • The issues are occurring all across the globe: United States, Canada, UK, and Australia.
  • The issues are occurring across many different ISPs.
  • The issue may have something to do with people playing on public networks, like schools and businesses (I play at college)
  • The issues may involve how Riot's servers communicate with certain ISPs or public networks.
  • The issues may have something to do with networks that block torrent files.
  • Almost all of Connecticut is being affected as far as I know.
  • The issues tend to get worse in combat.
  • From my testing I have figured out that my issue (the first one) is somehow related to how the game handles other players/bots. If I play a custom game completely solo, with no bots or other players, I will not lag. However, if I even add a single bot I will have high ping spikes after 2 minutes.
  • A symptom of the first issue (for me at least) is that when loading a game with at least one bot, I will appear as "Not Connected" for about 3 seconds and then load in with 999 ping. This will slowly decrease to 85(normal ping) while I load in, and after about 2 minutes of gameplay the spikes begin.
  • A temporary fix for the first issue is to simply leave the game and reconnect. This grants about 30 seconds to a minute of low ping before the spikes start again.
  • Uninstalling Pando Media Booster and disabling peer-to-peer connections via the launcher has had no effect on the issues.
  • Many people have run speed tests, and have perfect ping other than in league. The problem seems to be on your end.

I really hope this helps you guys figure out these issues.

So Riot, we love your game, we honestly do, we just want to play it to the best of our abilities. Please keep in touch with us and we promise that we will help you fix this as much as possible. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely, Hope

Acanth

05-06-2013

Pretty much sums up my issue, and I don't play on a public network.

Myukiora

05-06-2013

I was going to write up a thread about this issue as I was pretty fed up with being unable to play normally, but it seems that a _lot_ of others are experiencing the same issues.

I'm glad you've made this thread and i'll quickly comment on my individual situation to back up your claims.

I'm from Australia, more specifically in Brisbane and before all these issues started arising I would comfortably sit at around 175 ping and it would hold stable all game, for multiple games. I've been experiencing a multitude of problems recently, I would state that it seems to have been going on for longer then the Freljord patch, but nothing as severe as the last week. I am playing at home, on a ADSL2+ connection and never experience any issues affecting my internet, so it's a riot thing.

I will never drop below 240 ping now and can get to spikes as high as 450, which is a 65-275 ping increase and really just makes the game unplayable. In addition to ping spiking, I will get freezes that last anywhere from 1-3 seconds and it then relays the events that took place in that time extremely fast, disrupting gameplay etc.

I just want to comment, the NA servers for League of Legends have always been better then the EU servers, and I don't understand why they've been doing so horribly lately, ESPECIALLY after a "hardware update" patch? I mean, was that the trigger for the servers tanking? I remember having abnormal ping for maybe going back 3 weeks, and this last week being the worst of it.

Hope this gets fixed soon, really would enjoy playing the game normally again.

Blue419

05-06-2013

I am the same as Myukiora, although I normally sit on 230 ping, so I already have a delay. This problem has made LoL really unbearable for me to play, I have been getting spikes in the 400+ for a few weeks now but became increasingly more frequent since the Freljord patch as well as the freezing. I thought it was just me but its clear something is up.

Hopefully this is fixed soon! I miss league!

dDesuKb

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myukiora View Post

I'm from Australia, more specifically in Brisbane and before all these issues started arising I would comfortably sit at around 175 ping and it would hold stable all game, for multiple games. I've been experiencing a multitude of problems recently, I would state that it seems to have been going on for longer then the Freljord patch, but nothing as severe as the last week. I am playing at home, on a ADSL2+ connection and never experience any issues affecting my internet, so it's a riot thing.

I will never drop below 240 ping now and can get to spikes as high as 450, which is a 65-275 ping increase and really just makes the game unplayable. In addition to ping spiking, I will get freezes that last anywhere from 1-3 seconds and it then relays the events that took place in that time extremely fast, disrupting gameplay etc.
I'm in New Zealand, my ping MOSTLY hovers around the 172-176 but it HAS spiked in the past up to 250. Ping issues are never an issue but most of my aussie friends experience 220-290 so it could be environmental (in being our massive huge fibre optic cable under the sea is being raped by whales) or just completely situational( different game GMod, i was pinging most internode or telstra servers with 220 avg)

sluntxo

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDesuKb View Post
I'm in New Zealand, my ping MOSTLY hovers around the 172-176 but it HAS spiked in the past up to 250. Ping issues are never an issue but most of my aussie friends experience 220-290 so it could be environmental (in being our massive huge fibre optic cable under the sea is being raped by whales) or just completely situational( different game GMod, i was pinging most internode or telstra servers with 220 avg)
Exact same issue for me and my friend from Australia. I'm in Melbourne he is in Sydney I am on telstra he is on optus. Both always have 170 ping but 220-260 is now expected every game since the patch.

Hope19

05-06-2013

bump

Kaelzoroden

05-06-2013

I don't think that it has anything to do with public networks or ones that block torrenting. I'm on my home network and I can torrent stuff and I still have this problem.

Hope19

05-06-2013

bump

Hope19

05-06-2013

bump

1234511 ... 20