How do you know what item to buy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JARmates

11-13-2010

I think the real challenge of this game is knowing exactly what item to buy for each situation. How do you know what item to buy?

For example, what item cut down armor? What does magic penetration do that is different from reduce magic resist? Do they both work the same?

I need help against tank for both melee DPS (Master Yi) and other Mage AP Caster.

Thanks

Valkenr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2010

You learn how the game works, and what all the items do, then think critically on what the best combination is.

If i remember right, Magic/armor pen reduce the hard number first then the %. Reducing magic resist does exactly what it says, it reduces magic resist, Penetration is more along the lines of bypassing resistances.

Chicstix

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARmates View Post
I think the real challenge of this game is knowing exactly what item to buy for each situation. How do you know what item to buy?

For example, what item cut down armor? What does magic penetration do that is different from reduce magic resist? Do they both work the same?

I need help against tank for both melee DPS (Master Yi) and other Mage AP Caster.

Thanks
It is pretty tough, actually. Even testing out item builds in a practice game is kind of moot. I tried doing so with Kayle multiple times and got no where.

However, I know for a fact Rageblade and Nashor's Tooth both make Kayle insane. Once those are done, though, I have a hard time deciding which way to go. Should I pick up recommended items for Kayle the game has come up with? Should I test something that looks good? (Damage output, survivability).

What I did was looked at multiple item builds other people had success with. We know Madrid's is good for tanks or champs with lots of health, magic resist (Merc Treads) items for teams with a lot of casters.

AntiTcb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2010

You know by many, many, MANY games. You learn how different champions act with an item, and how enemy champions act against it.

Mikial

11-13-2010

It takes time to realize what items counter/work well with what champions. Think of the many different combination of champions and builds there are. It would take forever to face or play them. Really just think of the general composition of a champion and try to counter the general idea of them.

Mctot

11-14-2010

the build guides that exist on places like mobafire and other sites are just that...guides. you don't have to follow them to the letter...do what you do because it fits your playstyle, helps you be reactive to an enemy/team, or is just fun for you. remember, this is a friggin' game for Pete's sake.