Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Should harder champions be better than easier champions?

Yes 97 58.43%
No 69 41.57%
Voters 166 .

Poll - Should harder champions be better than easy ones?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Havy whopons gai

11-13-2010

Quote:
eric the blue:
remember, different champions have different unlock costs: the IP values are 450,1350,3150,6300. so it's not too suprising that a 6300 champion, like Vladimir or Kogmaw would be able to defeat a 1350 champion like Annie or Ryze! it's simply a different kind of balance!

the fact that any character can use any spell or equipment also helps balance somewhat.

That's not how the balance works mate

Lulwy

11-13-2010

They should have unique tricks they can pull off with certain degrees of skill that're occasionally more useful than the easy champions, I think. Anivia is a good example of this.

However I don't think the solution is "all high skill heroes do 10% more damage" or something.

DriftingSmoke

11-13-2010

Problem is they assign "hard" costs to Champs that are currently either not that hard to play or simply not very effective when played well (Heimer comes to mind beyond player lvl 20), when they assign these high costs, theres usually a reason, but they never modify these costs based on game patches or the improvement / nerfing of a champ, so we end up with a low tier heros that cost as much as Vlad, Kogmaw and Twitch, they really need to put more thought into it.

Havy whopons gai

11-13-2010

Quote:
Lulwy:
They should have unique tricks they can pull off with certain degrees of skill that're occasionally more useful than the easy champions, I think. Anivia is a good example of this.

However I don't think the solution is "all high skill heroes do 10% more damage" or something.

No, of course not.

A minion master champion would probably be one of these champions, giving you unique tactical advantages that aren't "lol if u hit during this split-second window you get a AOE stun"

TooDrunkToFunk

11-13-2010

No, they shouldn't be better if they require more skill, if this were the case, fighting games would consist of one character that requires more skill than others.

I think if people want to play a character with a higher skill cap that's the choice. As long as the champions are balanced, at least to a certain degree, skill should only come into play with fundamentals.

While I disagree with the original poll, I also agree to a certain extent that characters shouldn't be face roll easy and very very good, that's a form of imbalance. If one champion has the ability to out class others because one of his abilities is god tier, then it's really not an issue of skill but balance.

So take it for a grain of salt, I'd much rather have the champions balanced around their abilities rather than how hard/easy they are to play, this never works.

xbauks

11-13-2010

This thread reminds me of Invoker from DotA. He requires very high skill level, he isn't OP, but he is extremely powerful when played well. At the same time, even though he is so powerful, the skill requirement is so high that you rarely ever see him being played in pro games. He may well be the exception to the rule, but I think this is the type of balance OP is talking about.

Then again this also reminds me of ryze vs casters with skillshot abilities. If someone is hiding in a bush, and you know they are there, Ryze can't do anything until he has vision since all his abilities are point and click. On the other hand someone like Morgana can throw her snare in there and it will hit the target regardless of whether she has sight or not. So this is a kind of balance. While landing Ryze's snare is easy in some situations, Morgana's snare is useful in others.

dogbiter

11-13-2010

so you play anivia i play ww

im a n00b cuz i like ww?

you're going to have more chances to win just because you play anivia and i play ww cuz i like ww?

yeah how balanced