Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] How-To Counter: Galio

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Von Nicklesnout

11-13-2010

I. Guide introduction

So, assuming you know who Galio is(I would hope so since he's been out for several months now), this is a guide to help people who find themselves up the river without a paddle to counter him.

Why make a guide to counter a tank like Galio? People seem to think he's an auto-win character along with Sona, and while his Idol of Durand does make him one of the least ignorable tanks in the game, he's far from invincible.

II. What Galio Is and Is Not

Galio is: The Old Spice Man of tanks, he's that irresistable to people who want to play a tank that at face value presents little risk per reward ratio. A tanky mage, he gains AP for building magic resistance to you, i've seen Galios build up to 500 - 600 AP before. Source of extreme sexual tension between him and Malphite*.

Galio is not: A tower destroyer, while he can farm and push with the best of them, he really does not deal a whole lot of damage to a tower that a champion like Nasus can do**. A tank that is faceroll to play, banish that from your minds right now.

III. Items And Skills That Make Galio's Day Worse

Items are quite simple, really. Banshee's Veil, Quicksilver Sash, Mercury's Treads all counter him fairly well, especially since Mercury's Treads and Quicksilver's Sash both are get-out-of-jail free cards in the sense you can nullify the taunt on you and have it last less time.

Unfortunately there are not really alot of Champion skills that counter his abilities(Mostly for Idol of Durand). Some of the more notable are as follows, though:
Morgana - Black Shield
Olaf - Ragnarok
Tristana - Buster Shot
Twisted Fate - Gold Card
Fiddlesticks - Fear
Xin Zhao - Three Talon Strike
Udyr - Bear Stance Activate
Janna - Monsoon

Keep in mind that Idol of Durand is a channeled ultimate much like Nunu's Absolute Zero, so anything that would interrupt it interrupts Galio. Hard CC like snares/stuns and slows will allow you to take a hammer and chisel to his rocky visage.

Champions particularly good at chasing Galio and feeding his teeth: Corki, Kassadin, Dr. Mundo, Kog'Maw(Bio-Arcane Barrage is physical damage now keke).

Champions who weep at the sight of Galio: Veigar - You want to burst him so hard with your Hadouken, but you know that even with all that AP he has he has a ****-ton of MR to make you miserable.

The biggest Summoner spell counter to Galio: Cleanse, the law-giver.

IV. Spells Galio Has To Make Your Day Worse

Q - Resolute Smite: An alright, yet concentrated nuke. Has a moderately long cooldown at 8 seconds for a nuke spell. Note: This is a skill-shot so dodging it should come easily if you play smart.

W - Bulwark: You will learn to hate this spell with every fiber of your being, EVERY. TINY. FIBER. It doesn't last long, but that's not what makes it bad for Galio's opposition. It gives him 90 Armor and Magic Resistance and a decent heal.

While the armor and magic resistance seem laughable compared to a tank like Rammus, you have to remember one thing about Galio: He has two fairly strong harassment nukes in Resolute Smite and Righteous Gust. Using Bulwark is a cost-effective way for him to make those nukes stronger.

E - Righteous Gust: Long range nuke and movement speed increase for Galio, deals funny/cute damage early game but becomes a very strong spell in the mid-late game. Helps Galio farm with an E -> Q combo as well as initiate.

R - Idol of Durand: The one ultimate a tank has that will bring more rage from any player on the enemy team if proper measures are not taken to counter it. A 2 second AoE taunt that gains 80% bonus damage after he's attacked during the duration; Possibly the best ultimate in the game at the current moment.

It has a roughly 130 second cooldown at level 16, and can be lowered with stuff like the Blessing of the Ancient Golem and other cooldown methods. You will hate your life the day a Galio obtains 500+ AP and uses Idol of Durand, though, being as it will do roughly 4300~ damage before mitigation in an AoE with all five enemies in it.

Both the easiest and hardest thing to counter about Galio.

V. Team Fights Against A Galio

Without going too far into depth about this, here are some general ideas which will help you cope with the fact that your tank does not tank like Galio, because they're not an Old Spice Tank.

i. Take note of when he used his ultimate last - This sounds silly, I know, but it's best to log what time he used his ultimate last or to pay attention. As I said earlier in the guide his ultimate has a roughly 130 second cooldown in the late game.

ii. Do not be afraid to move away from him if he tries to force initiate with Idol of Durand. This is the most common mistake one sees people make, they stand in clumped up groups and don't see a Flash -> Idol combo coming. Team fights are not tea parties, he's not there to be your friend.

iii. Ranged characters should never be near the frontlines against Galio. This is probably the most obvious yet least followed Golden Rule. You have high range on your auto attacks/skills for a reason, please use your head.

iv. Once Galio's ultimate is used up, feel freee to ignore him with a certain level of caution. Galio is alot like Mordekaiser in the sense that you can't ignore him completely in a fight even after his main gimmick(Idol of Durand) is used up. He can and will burst your squishies down if given the opportunity, and Smite/Gust allows him to do it effeciently.

v. The most important rule of all: If you lost a team fight to a team with Galio, rather than raging in all chat about how broken he is/etc, look back at the fight and what you and your teammates did, then try to formulate a strategy against him.

He's a distinctly anti-melee and caster character, with other tanks taking the cake against him since they can out-last him in the case of Rammus, Shen, etc. Ranged physical carries can also make his life a tad bit worse like Tristana and Kog'Maw.

Any criticism is welcome, and if you have a tip that you want to share feel free to suggest it for the list. It's just not right letting people still have this deluded sense that Galio is a nigh-unkillable rock monster.

*Malphite and Galio can't really be assigned a gender, as they are both large masses of rock.

**Nasus+Sheen+Siphoning Strike on towers will devour them faster than a person riding one of those shopping carts eating at the Golden Corral buffet.

Leirkov

11-13-2010

You can add Udyr with Bear Stance to a counter to his ultimate.

Wonton55

11-13-2010

How could you forget Janna?

1. Get Merc Treads.
2. Use your ult when he ults.
3. If your ult is not up, hitting Q twice will get the job done, but that is slightly more risky.

Feral Renegade

11-13-2010

Best counters I've seen are Xin Jao and Udyr. If Galio is around, and you are Xin, tap Q and dont autoattack. When he Ults, you pop him into the air and the taunt is over. As Udyr, Hit Bear form and you stun on the first hit. /Taunt end.

Von Nicklesnout

11-13-2010

Thanks for the feedback, had forgotten that Xin Zhao and Udyr could do that. As for the thing about Janna, I never see her anymore, so I didn't know D:

MrEnzyme

11-13-2010

Take Janna with Cleanse, when Galio ults, cleanse the ult and use Janna's ult.

omgwtflolbbl

11-13-2010

Janna and Gragas are the ultimate "press R and win" team cockblockers.

A Retarded Clown

11-13-2010

I haven't been able to interrupt galio with my yellow card as tf...it hits him but does not stop it from what I know.

Nihles

11-13-2010

Yeah, there was a thread a while back commenting that bear stance doesn't break galio's ult either, even if you pop into it just as you get taunted (just to ensure that the stun portion isn't on cooldown).

Edit: don't forget that blitzcrank's E (power fist?) should also interrupt if he pops the spell right before he's taunted. Alternatively, rocket grab can cancel the ult from range.

Danmal

11-13-2010

Alistar has an easy time as well. Walk into his ult, hit r then either pulverise or headbutt. Garens silence should work as well.