Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I have problems vs Kennen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Resilga

11-13-2010

Not Huge problems - I use Galio, Morde, Xin, Singed, Garen, Nasus and Malphite -

That said, laning vs Kennens' ultra long range harass is tough. It's not the same as mundo - dodging his cleavers is easy and fun - the stars from kennen ARE dodgeable but it seems like there is more punnishment to be had when you actually get hit by one.

If you have some electric stack on you, he can nuke you from bushes while you are under turret with two of his skills. He is very sturdy in his electric ball and there are no diminishing returns on his stun.

I'm not really outlining my problem too well but early game his harassment is strong and late game he is tough enough to not be the main focus, agile enough to get away when he is but also he does an absurd amount of dmg in team fights and stuns at least 2 people amidst all of that.

What is the easiest way to shut down kennen in laning and lategame? (Aside from the obvious dodging his skillshot).

Thanks in advance.

Enrayged

11-13-2010

Quote:
Resilga:

If you have some electric stack on you, he can nuke you from bushes while you are under turret with two of his skills. He is very sturdy in his electric ball and there are no diminishing returns on his stun.

Wrong. His stun does, in fact, have deminishing returns.

The best counter to kennen is give him some of his own medicine - a nice stun, or even a silence would do wonders.

YDKJMF

11-13-2010

Whenever you have an electric stack on you, play a bit more defensively.

Adaelphon Delat

Recruiter

11-13-2010

When he balls towards you, drop a stun/slow/snare on him. He has to touch you to actually hurt you with it, so that is when he'll be easiest to hit.

Resilga

11-13-2010

Well I will try to lane with more people with a snare or stun - My only silence champ is Garen atm but I suppose Kassadin is a good anti-kennen, given your feedback. Perhaps I should try more Kassadin/Leblanc (I don't like Malz).

Garen, I can get the surprise silence on Ken but often he can see me comin because if I'm around, he won't go to the grass. If I approach him (even without Decisive Strike active) he will flee quickly, kiting with his skillshot.

Thanks for pointing out that there are diminishing returns, I guess I never noticed at the rate I was stunned

Still though, what about when he ults at the start of a teamfight? My team always seems to commit despite that ult being up- rather than baiting and waiting...

Yenn

11-13-2010

Quote:
Resilga:
Not Huge problems - I use Galio, Morde, Xin, Singed, Garen, Nasus and Malphite -

That said, laning vs Kennens' ultra long range harass is tough. It's not the same as mundo - dodging his cleavers is easy and fun - the stars from kennen ARE dodgeable but it seems like there is more punnishment to be had when you actually get hit by one.

I'm not really outlining my problem too well but early game his harassment is strong and late game he is tough enough to not be the main focus, agile enough to get away when he is but also he does an absurd amount of dmg in team fights and stuns at least 2 people amidst all of that.

What is the easiest way to shut down kennen in laning and lategame? (Aside from the obvious dodging his skillshot).

Thanks in advance.

As someone who mains Kennen, you can't stop him in the laning phase, you can only not die to him. Of all the champions you listed, only Morde is able to lane with Kennen.

As far as shurikens go, you should be able to avoid every single one of them. Stay behind minions and last hit, don't wipe the wave out.

The only time a good Kennen will rush (electric ball) towards you is if he's going for a kill or their jungle is ready to gank you.
If you think he's just trying to kill you alone, as Morde, you're going to want to hit him with siphon as soon as he gets in range, then start running around the minion wave with Creeping Death on to make sure he can't hit you with a shuriken. If you think their jungle is there to gank you, generate a shield with siphon and run away while randomly moving back and forth so he can't easily hit you with a shuriken.

One important thing to note about ganks is that bad Kennens will often rush towards you before the champion ganking is in position or close enough. Usually it should give you enough time to escape before they reach you.

If he ever tries to harass you, just generate shield to absorb it. Good Kennens will max Shuriken and only have rank 1 Surge and rank 1 Rush until level 8 or so. They'll both do **** for damage until he starts leveling them. If the person isn't very good, they might max Surge before Shurikens. If they do this, just harass them and generate shield when they get the charge from surge.

It's important that you don't push their wave, you need to save the minions for generating shield. You should only be last hitting with physical attacks.

If you ever drop below 50% health, back off and play extremely safe until your regen brings you back up.

It's nearly impossible to gank Kennen unless you have someone who can get close enough to stun before Kennen can see them, so generally you're not going to get help from your jungle. If your jungle tries to gank, you should probably tell them not to. I get a lot of early game double kills from jungles trying to gank me, eating multiple shurikens before they actually reach me, then being killed by my ult.

If you have a Kassadin, he should be laning with Kennen. He's one of the only Kennen counters. Morgana can also safely lane with him; she won't be at risk of dieing, but she won't kill him.

If you don't have Ghost or Flash (preferably both), you shouldn't be laning with Kennen at all.

After the laning phase, your team needs to be focusing Kennen to stop his ult asap and not eating his shurikens. If you have to engage, only do it with a minion wave; it will take most of his shurikens. If you let Kennen poke your whole team at a tower for 2-3 minutes, you'll easily be at 50% health before the team fight even begins.

If you're in a 1v1 situation with Kennen and you know you can't escape him, go to the minion wave and kite him around it, so he can't hit you with shurikens. They're his #1 source of damage. If you practice enough and get a feel for it's cooldown, you can dodge almost every single one he throws by swerving. If you're just running away from him in a straight line, you're evidently going to die.

tl;dr minions really screw over Kennen's main source of damage, use them as much as possible.

Resilga

11-13-2010

I had no idea just how much he relied on them, thanks

I guess it makes sense he has no laning counters but it does make me want to play Kass a bit more just because of the abundance of kennen around lately. I was actually thinking of just taking him up myself since I am good at skillshotting. Even the tanky troll kennens can do a great deal of damage as long as they have rylai's...

Hard to rationalize the focus on him during a team fight but you are probably correct about that. His aoe and stun is just too much of a risk but when there is a vlad, mf or kog maw around or a ... fed Sion or something... it just makes things a catch 22 it seems.

Yenn

11-13-2010

Well, if you can escape his ult, do it. But if your whole team is clumped together and he surges into it and ults, your only choice is to blow him up. You'll just lose if you try to outrun him, because you won't be able to.

It's common for a team to be clumped together while they're chasing someone. In situations like that, Kennen can turn around, rush into them, and pop his ult. A lot of people will immediately try to get out of his ult's range (and fail), instead of attacking him, which will potentially turn it into an ace.

His ult takes 7.5 seconds to do it's full damage, so you have more than enough time to kill him, unless he has Zhonya.

Kennen is only tanky early game because of Rylai. The only survivability item he gets should be Rylai; he's actually really squishy once it gets past mid game, but people tend to assume he's still tankly.

Resilga

11-13-2010

Lichbane is also a common item on him isn't it?

I may just buy him cuz he seems fun and considerably rewarding...

Do you have any problems with any character in specific aside from Kass and Morg? Like who actually kill you solo?

saixx

Recruiter

11-13-2010

yeah his lightning rush should only be used for a kill otherwise hes getting in a compromising position. I use mine to mark creeps and not mess with a champ or I lose my escape. A good kennen will harass using shuriken and 5th hit surges to place marks then shock you. Try to keep behind creeps and focus on farming not killing him unless he foolishly rushes you before you're low, then wail try to wail on him for it since he assumes you'll run away from him after he marks you. If you are low get behind those creeps lol.