Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tower-Eater Yi builds?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IntFam

11-13-2010

So, I've had Yi for a long time, and I've always wanted to set up a rune page for him as a backup for when all the team roles get filled.

Now, if there's one thing I've noticed Yi is better at that pretty much every other champ is destroying towers in a single go from mid-game onwards. I want to make a build that optimizes his ability to use guerilla tactics to jump in and out of unattended lanes, crush towers, and rejoin his teammates if things get dicey for them. I was thinking movement quints for sure, as well as ghost-teleport for summoner spells (maybe flash, but apparently that's going to be removed "any day now&quot, but I can't decide on what would work best in regards to other runes, as well as masteries and items.

Also, I'm caught on the decision of whether or not to jungle with this build or lane.

Any experienced Yi players know a good build for backdooring/guerilla tactics?

Arisulane

11-13-2010

I wouldn't set Yi's rune pages up with backdooring in mind; it's just supposed to happen as the game progresses. Go with what works against enemy champions: armor pen, etc.

However, I can recommend 21 in the utility tree so both your teleport and ghost spells have as low cooldown as possible for more backdooring opportunities. Backdooring potential with Yi is all about gear, and I've found that this is entirely possible with just a Banshee's veil for health + counter-CC and standard Yi gear like Infinity Edge and Madred's Bloodrazor.

You'll inevitably jungle in order to maximize what you're doing with backdoor Yi: deprive enemy champs of auras and alternative sources of gold. It's not necessary to start the game jungling though; just earn enough in your early laning phase to get a razor and life scepter.

IntFam

11-13-2010

Like I said, while backdooring is eventually to come to play, I want my Yi to be able to contribute to team fights as well at some level. He won't be the main carry for sure, but I'm pushing for a build where he won't melt the second some one spots him and hits him. I know a pure backdoor Yi is going to be worthless against actual players, so if the other team is diligent with their defense, I don't want to be left SOL because tower-killing and pushing empty lanes is all I can do.

I'm glad for the item advice, though. So I'm guessing you're recommending that I go with a standard Yi rune build with emphasis on the utility tree for masteries rather than the offense tree?

AbyssalTerror

11-13-2010

Get 2 PDs, an IE, Berserkers, and, 2 BTs.

IntFam

11-13-2010

BTs? Also, aside from the fact that two phantom dancers would cost an INCREDIBLE amount of money, I'd much rather take merc's or BoM over Berserkers.

Kalshazzak

11-13-2010

Ghostblade is a great weapon for BD, while also giving you stats for champ killing. As the only things that affect towers are raw AD and AS the next best options are to simply fill your inventory with recurves/bfs, so something like GB/boots/BT/bow/BV/(item of choice before or after upgrading bow) would give you the most BD power for your money while still being a factor in teamfights.

BT is bladethrister.

MeditationError

11-13-2010

BTs = Bloodthirsters. They're going to be your most efficient purchase against towers because crit and armour pen don't work on them.

Try rushing a youmuu's, followed by a bf sword, and then some physical tank (sunfire or omen for the extra hit points, but the chainmail is the most important bit).

Berserkers aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Cleanse is virtually compulsory on a melee dps, and once you've taken cleanse, it's not so critical to take mercs. But you were asking about towers, and they don't have any CC.

Rally is also a big spell for backdooring - it gives you extra damage while it soaks up a couple of tower shots.

AbyssalTerror

11-13-2010

The point of backdoor Yi is to get in and get out. BTs give the most AD per gold and two PDs give you the mobility and attack speed to get away regardless of whether your ult is up.

esseph

11-13-2010

Check the DPS post on runeterra in the math section. You need a combination of damage items and speed. Green elixirs will help. Ghostblade, a BF sword, maybe a recurve if you can afford it, and a green elixir, and wuju style/your ult will shread towers mid game, just make sure you have a flash/ghost to get away. The other team WILL come after you.

esseph

11-13-2010

Also, teleport ftw. Teleport lets you sneakily prepare a lane to get your creep wave close enough to the tower. Get in a lane, push it to slightly past mid, recall, get your green, pop in another lane for a minute, and keep your eye on the one you pushed. When it gets up by their tower as long as all of the enemy champs are accounted for, teleport to the most damaged creep by their tower, activate ghostblade active, green eliter, wuju, and your ult and try to slay that tower before the enemy can get there. IMMEDIATLY run away as the other team will be *pissed* :P