Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Level 1: OPEN UP - Increase your gaming AWARENESS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silver Zen

05-03-2013

Level 1
OPEN UP

Rewards : AWARENESS + 3pts / WISDOM + 2pts
New Abilities: Zen Gaze

“Learning is discovery, the discovery of the cause of our ignorance. However, the best way of learning is not the computation of information. Learning is discovering, uncovering what is there in us. When we discover, we are uncovering our own ability, our own eyes, in order to find our potential, to see what is going on, to discover how we can enlarge our lives, to find means at our disposal that will let us cope with difficult situations. And all this, I maintain, is taking place in the here and now.”
~Bruce Lee

This book has already begun to expand your gaming WISDOM, opening you up to higher levels. This level is a foundational level, and therefore the most important.

Do not rush, take your time, and you will be rewarded with an increase in AWARENESS and WISDOM.

Leveling up your inner AWARENESS gives you greater external AWARENESS.

External AWARENESS gives you the ability to translate and register all the relevant information happening on screen instantaneously; this is especially helpful in gaining tactical advantages over opponents and setting up plays with teammates. Think “Map Control.”

To increase external/screen AWARENESS you must increase internal AWARENESS.

Increasing internal AWARENESS requires self-reflection and honesty. Can you be honest with yourself? Do you trust yourself? Or do doubts clutter your mind?

Inner AWARNESS is deeply connected to your breathing. A Zen Gamer has achieved a high level of breath AWARENESS. Their breathing is always relaxed, never rapid or shallow, and always observed.

With relaxed breathing, the Zen Gamer is always calm and alert; he doesn’t waste energy, and nothing slips by him. He rarely makes mistakes and never makes the same mistake twice.

The Zen Gamer knows that mistakes are opportunities for leveling up their game.

A useful tool for expanding inner AWARENESS is meditation.

Meditation is simple: sit comfortably, breathe deeply, empty your mind, and begin the journey of unlocking your AWARENESS.

Place your AWARENESS in your feet, move it to the tips of your fingers, and then rest it on your heart. Feel your heart beating.

Now, become aware of what AWARENESS is.

Notice what it feels like when you sense your own AWARENESS.

Once you have found your AWARENESS, it will be unlocked forever. When you unlock your AWARNESS, the infinite becomes your playground.

AWARNESS never stops growing. When you meditate and go deeper into what your AWARENESS is, it will continue to develop and heighten your psychic and physical senses.

The deeper and longer you meditate the more you will level up. Pay attention to even the slightest growth in AWARENESS.

Meditating for 10 –15 minutes a day, at first, would be adequate and beneficial. Once you feel comfortable with this, try increasing the time, and then when you are ready, meditate without timing yourself. Time is only an illusion.

The next step is to bring your meditation into a game. This means not getting sucked fully into the game. Some AWARENESS must remain in your body to observe your state.

Observe your breathing. Work on keeping it relaxed and steady. If you notice you are holding your breath or your breathing is shallow, refocus and breathe easily.

Observe your hands. If they are clammy or sweaty, then your circulation is poor, and you will not perform to your highest.

Observe your heart rate. If your heart is beating like a maniac and adrenaline is coursing through your veins, then your fight-or-flight response is active.

We all have a fight-or-flight response, it’s a human survival mechanism, designed to help prepare the body to “fight” or “flee” from a perceived attack, harm, or threat.

While some low level gamers may enjoy this rush of adrenaline, it is not for the steady mind of a Zen Gamer.

A Zen Gamer is like a sniper. He understands that precision and accuracy are of the utmost importance. A rapid heartbeat causes your hands to shake, while calm relaxed breathing keeps them steady.

You can easily see the effects of the fight-or-flight response by observing the actions of your teammates.

When a player chooses a “fight” action, they may do something rash, such as charge into battle without proper preparation (think Leeroy Jenkins).

When a player chooses a “flight” action, they will retreat and flee like a madman from any situation that seems dangerous.

The first step in removing the fight-or-flight response from your gaming experience is to activate your AWARENESS. Notice which situations trigger an adrenaline rush, clammy/sweaty hands, or a pounding heartbeat. Also, pay attention to how you are playing. If you are being overly aggressive or cowardly, then your fight-or-flight response is probably active.

Once you are aware of the situations in which your fight-or-flight becomes active, you can begin to take action and remove the response.

Taking the appropriate action is easy. Let’s say that you notice are button mashing, making miss- clicks, slipping up on the mouse/analog movements, or making bad decisions.

First, get your character to a safe place, take a deep breath, put a hand over your heart, and say aloud, “It’s only a game, heart. You can relax and have fun.”

This may sound extremely simple, but it is an extremely effective method, and after a few weeks of this, your mind will know the difference between real danger and game danger.

If you are struggling to keep AWARENESS in your body while playing and are serious about becoming a Zen Gamer, I recommend you invest in a heart rate monitor; with it you can practice keeping your heart rate steady.
If you can keep your heart rate under sixty beats per minute then you are well on your way to becoming a Zen Gamer.

Every Gamer has their own personal difficulties that they must identify and overcome. If you work hard to know yourself, you will rise to the top in all areas of life.

“He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened.”
~Lao Tzu

An advanced technique to increase a gamer’s screen AWARENESS involves using the Zen Gaze.

I will cover the Zen Gaze briefly here, but if you would like to learn more, I recommend reading book two of Zen Gaming and the Art of Electronic Sports.

To perform the Zen Gaze, you must first be in a meditative state.

While you are playing, keep a soft focus on the screen, do not stare or get sucked into the game. Release all tension from the muscles around your eyes.

Attention must remain in your body. Once your gaze feels soft and relaxed, try absorbing everything going on, without thinking. Observe how tranquil your mind is.

With practice, your Zen Gaze will restructure your mind to absorb and process everything going on, much like having a real-time photographic memory.

When the Zen Gaze is active, your head and eyes should not have to move to look. The screen is an extension of your mind.

“Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”
~Buddha

I've cut and paste Level 1 of "Zen Gaming and the Art of Electronic Sports" - please forgive the formatting it looks much better in book form- if you would like a free eBook copy e-mail me a [email]zenleegaming@gmail.com[/email] or like my facebook page(link below)

Hard copies of "Zen Gaming and the Art of Electronic Sports" are available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. If you have a kindle you can borrow for free.

Your Friend,
Lee Southard

[email]zenleegaming@gmail.com[/email]

https://twitter.com/zenleegaming (follow me as I create an international team of Zen Gamers based in Taiwan, see recruiting page)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zen-Gaming-and-the-Art-of-Electronic-Sports/385222931574953 (This page is dedicated to gamers. Inspiration, motivation, news, and uplifting words of wisdom. eSports is the future of competitive sports.)

Silver Zen

05-03-2013

Sorry for double post

CirCe2

05-05-2013

I tried this- I do the meditation before each game to clear my mind of other game- really has helped thank you

Sinasta1

05-05-2013

hahah yeah to many Leeroy Jenkins on servers...need more Zen Gamers