Spectate?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maybe

12-09-2009

I have a list of friends that are way better than me at this game. Sometimes, I log on and they are playing a game.

Now,

Being a bad player, I think to myself, "Man, if I could only jump in to watch a game that's currently in progress, it would be grand. Maybe I could learn a thing or two, and not be so terrible."

Is there any possibility of a spectate option for games that are already in play? It seems that since this game is based on adobe stuff, it shouldn't be that impossible.

Future Flame Rebuttals:

-Maybe make it so only people on your friends list can spectate you, and only when you have some kind of "Allow to Spectate" option checked. That way people on the top 500 wont have a bunch of ridiculously unplayable games because of their status as a top player.

-Spectating shouldn't destroy ping all that much. Having someone that's not interacting with the game watching it after the fact is not all that crazy as far as a data stream goes, especially if you already have the client (aka all of the map, the mobs, and the champion models) loaded.

Maybe

12-09-2009

Also, that's not true, I'm not a junior member. I have my closed beta Rammus skin to prove it I was the guy who sent Eclipse his beta invite and told him this game would change his life.

Taccou

12-09-2009

It would only work if you have to choose a team, you want to spectate. otherwise you could be used as a spy and talk to your friends over ts, etc "hey guys, they are all trying baron" or whatever.

edit: forget it, you could choose the other team and spy as well. only solution would be, that you have a 1-5minutes delay.

Epistemic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-09-2009

I was gonna say record option, but the OP said "I log on and they are playing a game". I do like the idea of spectate, and didn't even think of the repercussions until you guys pointed them out; all I was thinking about was spectating matches in Guild Wars (back when I still played, there was an option to spectate PvP matches in Guild Wars, it would even tell you the teams' ranks who were playing, you could change char you were following, it was grand indeed).

Itankyou

12-25-2009

If this game got a spectating option, It would be superawesomeamazing

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

12-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taccou View Post
It would only work if you have to choose a team, you want to spectate. otherwise you could be used as a spy and talk to your friends over ts, etc "hey guys, they are all trying baron" or whatever.

edit: forget it, you could choose the other team and spy as well. only solution would be, that you have a 1-5minutes delay.
Don't forget having a friend spectate while sitting on skype or ventrillo

Sidekick

12-25-2009

spectate with a delay

1337SuperNewb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-25-2009

I say you can only see from your friend's POV (not necissarily where their screen is, but everything they see, you see.)

Even a few minute delay would permit ghosting of some sort "oh hey, warwick is at __ and going to __ creeps, so he is probably at __ on yours"

No ghosting, but all the fun of watching over someone's shoulder.

Lovely Dolphin

12-25-2009

Maybe you'll think of me when you are all alone
Maybe the one who is waiting for you
Will prove untrue, then what will you do?

Maybe you'll sit and sigh, wishing that I were near
Then maybe you'll ask me to come back again
And maybe I'll say "Maybe"

Freakechu

12-25-2009

The only way I see spectate as working is if all players on a team vote to accept someone spectating them. Otherwise all it takes is one person who is friends with someone else to give free unlimited information over vent or skype on where all enemies are to a certain team.

Spectating would be awesome, I agree. But it just has too many negative things that it could be used for.

Even a person spectating and on vent who could only see their team's side would be an advantage because the only thing they'd be using their attention for would be making sure all champs were accounted for. Any team without a 6th person to call MIAs and tell when not to push and so forth would be at a disadvantage. Could easily tell which champs were in which lanes whenever a player asked as well. It just gives another tactical advantage to the side who has a "spotter."

Would it get abused like this all the time? Probably not. In clan versus clan or tournaments? You betcha.

As much as I'd love to be able to have my friends watch me play, I think replays are the most suitable option. Then we could watch them together and they could ask me questions. Perhaps making a replay mode where several people could watch it all at the same time.