[Analysis / Discussion] Akali balance at Diamond

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

str0nk

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayath View Post
The conclusion we get from Xypherous:
Gunblade and all other hybrid items should be removed. Whether he acts on it though, I can't say.

Reasoning:
The idea behind being hybrid is: Being able to choose from both AP and AD items. Hybrid items prevent this, because they force you to buy them (the champion ratios need to be toned down if good hybrid items exist; if hybrid items are bad and only half-viable with hybrids, then these become dead items in the store).
I hope they act on this.

I'm cool with them removing Gunblade if it'll make Akali better. She does need more build options. It's pretty crazy being pigeon-holed into building a Gunblade every game. Rylai's is an alternative, but it's not very cost effective when compared to a Gunblade on Akali.

Hexten

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0nk View Post
I hope they act on this.

I'm cool with them removing Gunblade if it'll make Akali better. She does need more build options. It's pretty crazy being pigeon-holed into building a Gunblade every game. Rylai's is an alternative, but it's not very cost effective when compared to a Gunblade on Akali.
Yer, Gunblade is pretty much like a bonetooth necklane is for Rengar. She needs all the stats on it to be pretty much Akali.

Its because she has no in-built defensive skill in her kit, thus she needs the spellvamp to make it up for this. Diana for example, can live without sustain, because she has a shield to compensate for this.

That's why I'm an addicted Gunblade addict. I don't like getting it, but its necessary for Akali to be Akali.

chimyjoe

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
I think increasing her Movement Speed while within the Twilight Shroud could be a pretty cool change. It does further add complication to an already fairly complex ability (stealth, Armor/MR, slows enemies) though.
I feel like adding a speed up to akali's bubble would be a bit much, she already has 3 charges of a dash which she can use to either close the gap or run away. I feel adding a speed increase to her while chasing is a little too much "catch up" potential.

The way I see it is that it's there for the escape or a window of time to gain resource and abilities back. She already has the gap closer (ult), and a slow for catching and running away (shroud) from opponents.

Pennlocke

05-18-2013

If removing Gunblade would fix hybrid champions in general, I'm all for it. The problem would then be her sustain/survivability. They'd either have to buff WoTA or buff her passives, Spellvamp has pretty much been the essence of the champion for so long.

Barring a complete rework of her kit, that is.

Dzanio

05-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennlocke View Post
If removing Gunblade would fix hybrid champions in general, I'm all for it. The problem would then be her sustain/survivability. They'd either have to buff WoTA or buff her passives, Spellvamp has pretty much been the essence of the champion for so long.

Barring a complete rework of her kit, that is.
Mostly her kit needs a rework. She needs high ad and ap in order to have enough sustain to stay in lane vs any top laner yet there aren't any good early game options other than gunblade. Other ap tops have multiple viable starts, so it's just her. Furthermore she has to complete gunblade before she can trade in lane, so it's not like you can build a bunch of small items and remain viable (i.e. all AD bruisers) if you're behind, or simply want to counter-build your opponent. If she's to remain hybrid in s3 she needs ad and ap scalings on all of her abilities so you have some itemization choices. Frankly however she'd benefit more from a full conversion into ad, or ap. I mean right now I'm not even sure how to start her off in game. boots + 3 seems like the viable option vs non ads, and even if you start armor 5 you end up behind your lane because their first major items will build off their initial purchase and yours don't.

I also feel like twilight shroud only works about half the time. There have been a number of instances where enemy targeted abilities or auto attacks go off on me well after I've cast it (I mean sometimes it could be lag but there are other times where I've been sitting in it a good second and they still hit me -- no pink wards/oracles and I've hit s to stop all auto attacks).

Hexten

05-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous
I agree with you on that - Akali as a hybrid character, is really odd because she really doesn't want to autoattack much. Nothing gives her a chance or an opportunity to - which is why I suspect the AP build is the default - and that any hybrid items created simply augment the AP build, if they're good.

I'm not sure what you could do to change that - or if making Akali more AA focused would be a good change now. It certainly doesn't fix her current problems if you made AD stronger on her.
Akali's main problem is the Twilight shroud. Her playstyle and kit revolves around this skill. Its the skill that makes her overpowered in low elo, but underpowered at high elo/tournament play, due to the fact that co-ordinated teams know to buy pink wards/oracles AND focus fire you in teamfights.

No matter how much you tweak Akali, it won't change the above fact, and this is one of her main problems. Maybe Riot should focus on making Twilight shroud viable in high elo, so its a reliable disengage at high levels of play, while also make it less frustrating to vs again.

This can be done by removing the binary nature of her shroud. Its either too strong (low elo) or its useless (high elo). There should be a focus on making it so that Twilight shroud has some middle ground for all elo ranges. The strength of shroud should not be of extremes based on elo range.

Shroud also suffers from the fact that it is stationary. That in itself, is the counterplay for her stealth. Its not free roaming stealth like Twitch and Eve, its tactical stealth. You know where she is, so you know to stay back from the shroud circle. This has been made much less frustrating since patch 3.5, as she will immediately appear when she leaves the circle.

Low Elo:-
Less likely to buy pink wards, and so suffers the effect of stealth. Re-engaging, disengaging, fighting in shroud circle.

High Elo:-
Cannot rely on shroud for stealth disengage because pink wards/oracles nullifies this.

The solution?
Make it so that shroud cannot be affected by true vision effects. The shroud is stationary. Nuff said.

But give it the mechanic that all other stealth effects have, delayed stealth on-hit.

Twilight Shroud
Active: Akali creates a vision-granting smoke cloud in a 300-radius area for 8 seconds. While within the cloud, Akali is stealthed and gains bonus armor and magic resistance. Attacking or using abilities reveals her for 0.65 seconds (delayed up to 1.5 seconds if taking damage). Enemies inside the smoke are slowed. True sight does not affect Akali within Twilight Shroud.

This makes focus firing her without the need of pink wards/oracles possible. It caters for both sides of play. Akali has to be more thoughtful of when to appear and disengage. If she times it correctly and takes no damage, she will get the instant stealth if she chucks it on herself to disengage from clustered situations. But if she gets focussed-fired, then she won't just disappear in thin air. Note "True sight does not affect Akali within Twilight Shroud.", it means that Lee Sin for example, can Q/E before Akali throws W down, and can still see her, same as Lulu, or if Akali steps on a trap then throws W down.

Its the reason why she is not picked in tournaments. You don't want to bet on the opponents not spamming pink's yolo. Shroud should have individual counterplay without the need for true sight. This provides the middle ground for low and high elo. Shroud does not have extremes anymore, but now with reliability and consistency you expect from a skill. So its not as good in its optimal state, but its not useless when countered.

Whoviantrekgater

05-19-2013

My opinion has always been she was perfect Pre-patch 3.03 after that it was all downhill with everything riot did.

Youjinbou

05-19-2013

akali should be able to shadow dash to wards and allies alike... i believe this would alleviate her recent nerfs.

Velderia

05-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youjinbou View Post
akali should be able to shadow dash to wards and allies alike... i believe this would alleviate her recent nerfs.
I like this.

6u3ssWh0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2013

Couldnt agree more with you, Riot wanting to please GD whine base you just crippled my favorite champion in whole league