[Analysis / Discussion] Akali balance at Diamond

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sayath

05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by notSoinan View Post
As a fellow Akali lover, owner of all currently purchasable Akali skins and a bumper of your 2K upvotes thread, I agree entirely. I'm ok with most of the changes but I feel like the ult one was too far, especially in light of red pot and 9 hp pot nerfs. I agree with you entirely on the shroud change and especially the passive change, it is something I really miss about Akali.

I was wondering but, how to you manage to play Akali every game? Looking at your lolking you have played 71 ranked games, all of which are as Akali. What if you can't get top or mid because there are other people that similarly to you, only play one or two lanes. What if you get top but the jungler and support aren't enough tankiness and need a hard initiator? She is my most played champion in ranked and probably normal but I can't always play her, as much as I would love to. Also, other than All-star Akali, what is your favourite skin? I love Silverfang Akali, in game it looks awesome.
Mainly: Asking people nicely and dodging at times.
Another possibility is playing DuoQ with high ELO disparity. Then one ends up first & fifth every game.

Regarding team composition: Yeah, having no initiator at times can be very annoying. However, split pushing or catching people out of position can work with this. The game simply becomes a bit harder.

My favorite skin: Pretty torn. The standard Akali skin has it's allures since I myself don't play with it often. On the other hand Silverfang and Blood Moon look cool as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavasiaN View Post
I'm just going to repost my response from reddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/summoners/comments/1dlslg/indepth_analysis_of_the_current_state_of_akali/

The main argument of the post was that Akali was changed from high risk/reward to medium risk/reward. However, the balance changes he uses as examples do not decrease the risk/reward of Akali, but rather her damage output at different phases of the game. In fact, I would argue this point:

is actually an increase in risk/reward. Having lower base values and higher AP ratios make it higher risk to go for more damage (since high AP items give less survivability) and higher reward to get more damage.

This point is actually kind of silly:

Essentially, you don't have to run the same Akali page like you previously had to. It has nothing to do with high risk/reward. All it has changed is that you don't have to run a special rune page just for Akali.

This is actually an increase of risk/reward. Increasing the cooldown of the ultimate means you have to get kills/assists in order to restore stacks of your passive quickly. Yes, it was a nerf to Akali, but it did not lower the risk/reward.

His analysis just didn't match his hypothesis. Maybe if his argument was that Akali was over-nerfed, his supporting examples would make more sense.
A decrease in damage output is a decrease in reward on a champion whose only purpose is to deal damage. There was no utility gain that rebalanced this.

def reward: damage + utility
def risk: low survivability / melee range / .... / how forgiving towards mistakes the champion is

You argue that the Mark change was an increase in risk / reward.
You realize I need 300 AP to break even?
Hence, the reward until I achieve such is lowered.
An endgame full-glass cannon build has around 500-600 AP.
The increase in reward at this stage: 0.1*200 - 0.1*300 <-> 20 - 30 damage
I am amazed. I gain 30 damage for dying immediately upon entering any teamfight.
The effective endproduct being that the glass cannon build is still underwhelming. Because the exorbitant risk I'm taking does not justify the reward.

For example, if the ratio had been changed to 0.15 instead:
AP needed to break even: 200
Bonus @ 300 AP: 15 damage
@ 400 AP: 30 damage
@ 500 AP: 45 damage
@ 600 AP: 60 damage

These would have buffed her late game in exchange for early game power. Since the bonus at 300 to 400 AP is actually achieveable.

Twin disciplines:
The point I'm making is: The passive acted as a limiter for low elo. Since most do not invest in the required runeset, the reward is lowered (no passive !). This aligns well with her being easier / more forgiving at this elo range (= less risk).

Shadow dance:
Again, you are telling me that the risk increased. I do think I realize what the problem is. Your definition of risk / reward is pretty different from mine. I should have defined this in the OP. My bad, will change this.

Bakabridget

05-03-2013

I think they should revert her back to how she was (with the exception of the shroud change) before they changed her passive.

Also boots+3 I think was the best start. I guess I don't care as much about having people with different starting items as I do having an early game that's actually fun and full of harassing your opponent.

Bossnja

05-03-2013

To the top.

str0nk

05-03-2013

Bump.

Caítlyn

05-03-2013

Remove all the changes since the passive change including that one.

str0nk

05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlyn View Post
Remove all the changes since the passive change including that one.
I think that's wishful thinking. I doubt they'd do that, but I'd love if they did.

Sn0wman

05-03-2013

Bump for awareness

Next

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2013

god bless this thread

Bossnja

05-03-2013

Up up you go.

Aithòs

05-03-2013

I swear I posted in this thread but don't see my response...odd. Wonder if I posted in the wrong thread...lol. Oh well, I agree.